He will show you the power of TRUE courage.DESCRIBE! NOBUYUKI HIYAMA! HEEEEEEEEEERE! HYAAAAHT!
Sure, sure, but please, not so loud... *pulls out earplugs*
Anyway, Nobuyuki Hiyama is a seiyuu, well-known for his dramatic yelling
, thus making him the go-to seiyuu
characters. He's quite prolific according to ANN, and fans nickname him King of Braves/Yuusha-Oh
, not just for his GaoGaiGar
role as Guy Shishioh, but the fact that he's done ANOTHER Brave Series
protagonist, Maito Senpuuji from The Brave Express Might Gaine
, the Brave project before GaoGaiGar
that played the key role of planting down the seeds of the now Constitution of Bravery. In addition to this, he has also voiced Adult Link (his grunts and yells anyways) from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
, who wielded the Triforce of COURAGE! However, he is also capable of doing cold, calculating characters, psycho characters, and cool-headed characters. But yeah, his main forte is Hotbloodedness. God bless the souls of those few English VAs
daring enough to dub his voice.
as he may seem, this guy usually plays steamy hot bishonens
thanks to his uniquely sexy voice. note Best buds
with Toshiyuki Morikawa
, and close friends
with Hikaru Midorikawa
, and Megumi Hayashibara
, as hinted in her biography manga, Megumi-Toon
For more interesting stuff about him and his characters, see his Trivia Page
He may or may be related
to the creation of Naruto
's Might Guy, due to the origin of his Yuusha-Oh nickname.
Tropes associated with Hiyama:
- Big Fun: While he's never been "fat" by any real stretch, his physique has always been a little pudgy (mainly due to his petite height), and many seiyuu have said he's a lot of fun to be around.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Morikawa's the boke, while Hiyama is the tsukkomi.
- Even the Guys Want Him: From the view of the male fanbase, most of his characters represent the image of the ideal masculine man, in which most men would look up to. Therefore, fanboys can't help but to squee louder than the fangirls whenever his presence is known.
- Fan Nickname: Hi-chan, The King of Braves, and "The King of _(insert character's description here)_" for his character's nicknames.
- Hot-Blooded: Yes, he is THE living example. Any recording studio his works in will be raised 3℃ higher in temperature instantly once he raises his voice.
- Large Ham
- Shrinking Violet: Surprisingly, he was this in the DVD commentary of Grenadier where his character appeared. He had never done a commentary before and was really nervous.
- The Smart Guy / Shorter Means Smarter: At 166 cm note high, he's surprisingly petite for a guy. Yet he flourishes in the liberal arts back in his school days, and is proven very knowledgeable in a broad range of subjects, from baseball, to biology, on to his most favorite subject, history.
- He mentioned that he usually finds himself at the top ranks nationally whenever he plays Quiz Magic Academy.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen, Ramen, RAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEENNNNNN!!!!!!
ROGER! NOTABLE ROLES OF NOBUYUKI HIYAMA! SAFETY DEVICE.... RELEAAAASSSEEE!!!
- Airs Blue (Infinite Ryvius)
- When he's not Blue, you'll catch him most notably as the announcer/reporter for both the ship and news broadcasts.
- Atsushi (Kusatta Kyoushino Houteishiki)
- Axel (Disgaea series)
- Balmung (.hack//)
- Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Project X Zone)
- BlackWarGreymon (Digimon Adventure 02)
- Bobby Briggs (Dana Ashbrook) in the Japanese dub of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.
- Bomber the Great in Chouriki Sentai Ohranger
- Cyborg Butler in Hayate the Combat Butler, who resembles Viral from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and uses Guy's moves from GaoGaiGar.
- Date Masamune, Fuuma Kotarou, Honganji Kennyo (Samurai Warriors) (Kennyo's one of the rare instances Hiyama voices an older man)
- Demitri Maximoff, Pyron, and Donovan Baine (Darkstalkers) (Playing VERY against type in all mentioned roles) (He was only Donovan in Night Warriors. In Vampire Savior 2 he was replaced by Jurota Kosugi.)
- Diabel in Sword Art Online
- The Flash in the Japanese dub of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- Forte/Bass (Rockman)
- Professor Franklamb Stein (Macademi Wasshoi), who gives Hot-Blooded speeches... about moe and girls with animal ears and tails. It's a little bizarre, but considering his Harunobu Madarame role below...
- Girinma in Yes! Pretty Cure 5.
- King Glúm do Bridon/Sword of Glúm in Magiranger the Movie: Bride of Infershia
- Guy Shishioh (Brave Series GaoGaiGar and the Super Robot Wars Alpha series, the role that won him his "King of Braves" title and probably his most famous role)
- Haken Browning (Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Project X Zone)
- Harunobu Madarame (Genshiken) - a Hot-Blooded otaku with a 2-D complex, who gives his hobbies a higher priority than eating. Is probably a fan of at least one of the (copyright-infringement-averse analogues of) anime the seiyuu has been in.
- Hatsuden Banki in Engine Sentai Go-onger
- Hiei (YuYu Hakusho) (Star-Making Role)
- Hikitsu (Fushigi Yuugi/Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden)
- Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach)
- Isato Kaiza/Gowcaizer (Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer)
- Jackal (Bravely Default)
- Joe Higashi (Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters)
- Kada (Shin Koihime†Musou)
- Kazuma Suzuka (Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1)
- Ms King Penguin in Shirokuma Cafe with Toshiyuki also voicing Mama Panda.
- Kouji Tetsuya (Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!)
- Kojyuuro Takeda (They Are My Noble Masters)
- We knew long before this role that Nobuyuki could scream in a Hot-Blooded way, but this role is notable for proving that he can whisper that way, too.
- Kouta Hirano in Highschool of the Dead.
- Hiyama is noted to look similar to Kouta, but this was just a coincidence, and not an Ink-Suit Actor case.
- Kunio Yamanobe the Geography Teacher (Sket Dance)
- Shares related voicing style with One Piece's Mr.3.
- Tower Tycoon Kurotsugu (Palmer) in Pokémon
- Kyokuni Azuma in Diamond no Ace
- Li Kouyuu in Saiunkoku Monogatari Season 1 and 2.
- Libra Genbu (Saint Seiya Omega)
- Adult Link (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, Soulcalibur II (GameCube version))
- Longarm/Shockwave in Transformers Animated (Japanese dub)
- Maito Senpuuji (The Brave Express Might Gaine) (His first protagonist role)
- Makoto Kyogoku in Detective Conan
- Masanosuke Date (Lime-iro Senkitan)
- The Masked Warrior (actually, Masked Warriors; the Liese twins Lotte and Aria in disguise) in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's
- Mr. 3 in One Piece, where he pulls off Smug Snake rather well.
- Muruta Azrael (Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) (Playing Against Type)
- Mutou Mushiten (Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger)
- The narrator and Tachibana of the Anti-Zodiarts Union of Kamen Rider Fourze
- The minor villain Neon in Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo reprized in Super Robot Wars GC.
- Papa Sidney Lewis (Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front)
- Pootan in Cromartie High School
- Rampage in Beast Wars (Japanese dub)
- Sambash in Seijuu Sentai Gingaman
- Sandalphon (Deus Machina Demonbane)
- Scott Fuller in From Dusk Till Dawn (Japanese dub, and also one of his first roles)
- Shin in Cowboy Bebop
- Shiro Amada (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Super Robot Wars Impact and Super Robot Wars Advance Portable)
- Shuren of the Flames (Shin Kyuseishu Densetsu (Legend Of The True Savior): Fist Of The North Star movies and Original Video Animation)
- Siegfried Schtauffen (Soul Series) (he was also Nightmare for Soulcalibur 1 and 2 as the two were one and the same in the story back then)
- He was also Yoshimitsu for a time, but got replaced by Norio Wakamoto in IV
- Skyfire (Jetfire) in Transformers Energon
- Sneak Brothers the Younger in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.
- Space Detective 556 ("Kogoro") in Keroro Gunsou
- Sulfur Pot in Accel World
- Takeshi Nakazato, leader of the Night Kids in Initial D
- Teppa Aizen in Grenadier ~The Smiling Senshi~.
- Teppei Takamiya (Bt X)
- Uzu Sanageyama (Kill la Kill)
- Val in Otogi Juushi Akazukin
- The Vegan Mooks (Super Robot Wars Z)
- "KANARAZU KAETTEKURUZO!"
- "ONORE GRENDIZER!!!!"
- Veigue Lungberg (Tales of Rebirth) ("KUREAAAAAAAAA~~!!")
- Viral (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) (Initially Playing Against Type, until his Heel-Face Turn)
- Voyager in Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
- Wilhelm in the Xenosaga series. Notable because he's playing against type, since Wilhelm's voice is monotone.
- William "Bill" Matheson (Marmalade Boy)
- The older fanbase would often state the level of similarities between William and Brian's character design to Hiyama and Morikawa's own persona, but this is coincidental.
- The Wolf Imagin in Kamen Rider Den-O
- Yoshiteru Zaimokuza in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
- Yuito Kisaragi/Misty Knight (Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel)
- Yushiro Gowa (Gasaraki)
- Yutaka "Panties" Itazu (Eden of the East)
HIKARI NI NAREEEEEEEE!