He will show you the power of TRUE courage.DESCRIBE! NOBUYUKI HIYAMA! HEEEEEEEEEERE!!! HYAAAAHT!
Sure, sure, but please, not so loud... *pulls out earplugs*
Anyway, Nobuyuki Hiyama is a seiyuu, well known for his dramatic yelling
for young characters, thus making him the go-to seiyuu
characters. He's quite prolific according to ANN, and fans nickname him King of Braves/Yuusha-Oh
, not just for his GaoGaiGar
role as Guy Shishioh, but the fact that he's done ANOTHER Brave Series
protagonist, Maito Senpuuji from The Brave Express Might Gaine
, the Brave project before GaoGaiGar
that played the key role of planting down the seeds of the now Constitution of Bravery
. In addition to this, he has also voiced Adult Link (his grunts and yells anyways) from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
, who wielded the Triforce of COURAGE! However, he is also capable of doing cold, calculating characters, psycho characters, and cool-headed characters. But yeah, his main forte is Hot Bloodedness
. God bless the souls of those few English VAs
daring enough to dub over his voice.
As somewhat odd
as he may seem, this guy usually plays bishonen
thanks to his unique sexy voice. (But hey, he's doing better lately. Plus, he's got some great taste in clothing
to make up for it.)Best buds
with Toshiyuki Morikawa
, and close friends
with Hikaru Midorikawa
He may or may be related
with the creation of Naruto
's Might Guy due to the origin of his Yuusha-Oh nickname.
Tropes associated with Hiyama:
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Morikawa's the boke, while Hiyama is the tsukkomi.
- Fan Nickname: Hi-chan (pronounced as "Hee-chan"), The King of Braves, and "The King of _(insert character's description here)_" for his character's nicknames.
- Hot-Blooded: Yes, he is THE living example. Any recording studio his works in will be raised 3℃ higher in temperature instantly once he raises his voice.
- Large Ham
- Playing Against Type: Every now and then. Tachibana is the Chessmaster. Younger is one of the comedic villains. Fuma Kotaro is Night Bursting Axe Crazy.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Most notably with Keiji Fujiwara (with Hiyama always as some form of commander and Fujiwara as some form of his right-hand-man,) Katsuyuki Konishi (teammates... one way or the other,) Toshiyuki Morikawa (friends,) Hikaru Midorikawa (The Hero vs. The Rival respectively,) and most recently Yukari Tamura (young, cute heroine with manly hero/partner).
- Special note regarding the Hero-Rival thing with Midorkawa. The main difference between Hiyama's character rivalry relationship and Takehito Koyasu's rivalry relationship, is that Hiyama would pretty much always be on The Hero's side, while Koyasu on the other hand would often switch around the hero-rival roles with Midorikawa... and the latter pair somehow by fate see their rivalry as an extreme Serious Business.
- The Smart Guy/Shorter Means Smarter: At 166 cm high, he's surprisingly petite for a guy. Yet he's proven very knowledgeable in various subjects, especially history.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Ramen, Ramen, Ramen!
- Airs Blue (Infinite Ryvius)
- When he's not Blue, you'll catch him most notably as the announcer/reporter for both the ship and news broadcasts.
- Axel (Disgaea series)
- Balmung (.hack//)
- Batsu Ichimonji (Rival Schools, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Project × Zone)
- BlackWarGreymon (Digimon Adventure 02)
- Bobby Briggs (Dana Ashbrook) in the Japanese dub of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.
- Bomber the Great in Chouriki Sentai Ohranger
- Cyborg Butler in Hayate the Combat Butler, who resembles Viral from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and uses Guy's moves from GaoGaiGar.
- Date Masamune, Fuuma Kotarou, Honganji Kennyo (Samurai Warriors) (Kennyo's one of the rare instances Hiyama voices an older man)
- Demitri Maximoff, Pyron, and Donovan Baine (Darkstalkers) (Playing VERY against type in all mentioned roles) (He was only Donovan in Night Warriors. In Vampire Savior 2 he was replaced by Jurota Kosugi.)
- Diabel in Sword Art Online
- The Flash in the Japanese dub of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- Forte/Bass (Rockman)
- Professor Franklamb Stein (Macademi Wasshoi), who gives Hot-Blooded speeches... about moe and girls with animal ears and tails. It's a little bizarre, but considering his Madarame role above...
- Girinma in Yes! Pretty Cure 5.
- King Glúm do Bridon/Sword of Glúm in Magiranger the Movie: Bride of Infershia
- Guy Shishioh (Brave Series GaoGaiGar and the Super Robot Wars Alpha series, the role that won him his "King of Braves" title and probably his most famous role)
- Haken Browning (Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Project × Zone)
- Hatsuden Banki in Engine Sentai Go-onger
- Hiei (YuYu Hakusho) (Star-Making Role)
- Hikitsu (Fushigi Yuugi/Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden)
- Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach)
- Isato Kaiza/Gowcaizer (Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer)
- Joe Higashi (Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters)
- Kada (Shin Koihime†Musou)
- Kazuma Suzuka (Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1)
- Ms King Penguin in Shirokuma Cafe with Toshiyuki also voicing Mama Panda.
- Kouji Tetsuya (Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!)
- Kojyuuro Takeda (They Are My Noble Masters)
- We knew long before this role that Nobuyuki could scream in a Hot-Blooded way, but this role is notable for proving that he can whisper that way, too.
- Kouta Hirano in Highschool of the Dead.
- Hiyama is noted to look extremely similar to Kouta, a coincidental case of Ink-Suit Actor.
- Kunio Yamanobe the Geography Teacher (Sket Dance)
- Shares related voicing style with One Piece's Mr.3.
- Tower Tycoon Kurotsugu (Palmer) in Pokémon
- Kyokuni Azuma in Diamond no Ace
- Li Kouyuu in Saiunkoku Monogatari Season 1 and 2.
- Libra Genbu (Saint Seiya Omega)
- Adult Link (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, Soulcalibur II (GameCube version))
- Longarm/Shockwave in Transformers Animated (Japanese dub)
- Madarame Harunobu (Genshiken) - a Hot-Blooded otaku with a 2-D complex, who gives his hobbies a higher priority than eating. Is probably a fan of at least one of the (copyright-infringement-averse analogues of) anime the seiyuu has been in.
- Maito Senpuuji (Brave Series Might Gaine) (His first protagonist role)
- Makoto Kyogoku in Detective Conan
- Masanosuke Date (Lime Iro Senkitan)
- Mr. 3 in One Piece, where he pulls off Smug Snake rather well.
- Muruta Azrael (Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) (Playing Against Type)
- Mutou Mushiten (Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger)
- The narrator and Tachibana of the Anti-Zodiarts Union of Kamen Rider Fourze
- The minor villain Neon in Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo reprized in Super Robot Wars GC.
- Papa Sidney Lewis (Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front)
- Rampage in Beast Wars (Japanese dub)
- Sambash in Seijuu Sentai Gingaman
- Sandalphon (Deus Machina Demonbane)
- Scott Fuller in From Dusk Till Dawn (Japanese dub, and also one of his first roles)
- Shin in Cowboy Bebop
- Shiro Amada (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Super Robot Wars Impact and Super Robot Wars Advance Portable)
- Shuren of the Flames (Shin Kyuseishu Densetsu (Legend Of The True Savior): Fist Of The North Star movies and Original Video Animation)
- Siegfried Schtauffen (Soul Series) (he was also Nightmare for Soulcalibur 1 and 2 as the two were one and the same in the story back then)
- He was also Yoshimitsu for a time, but got replaced by Norio Wakamoto in IV
- Skyfire (Jetfire) in Transformers Energon
- Sneak Brothers the Younger in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger.
- Space Detective 556 ("Kogoro") in Keroro Gunsou
- Sulfur Pot in Accel World
- Teppa Aizen in Grenadier ~The Smiling Senshi~.
- Teppei Takamiya (B't X)
- Val in Otogi Juushi Akazukin
- The Vegan Mooks (Super Robot Wars Z)
- "KANARAZU KAETTEKURUZO!"
- "ONORE GRENDIZER!!!!"
- Uzu Sanageyama (Kill la Kill)
- Veigue Lungberg (Tales of Rebirth) ("KUREAAAAAAAAA~~!!")
- Viral (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) (Initially Playing Against Type, until his Heel-Face Turn)
- Voyager in Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
- Wilhelm in the Xenosaga series. Notable because he's playing against type, since Wilhelm's voice is monotone.
- William "Bill" Matheson (Marmalade Boy)
- The Wolf Imagin in Kamen Rider Den-O
- Yoshiteru Zaimokuza in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
- Yuito Kisaragi/Misty Knight (Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel)
- Yushiro Gowa (Gasaraki)
- Yutaka "Panties" Itazu (Eden of the East)
- Specially appointed in need for his Hiroshima accent. Bares quite a striking resemblance to Hiyama (even their beauty mark location's the same), probably an Ink-Suit Actor case done on purpose.
HIKARI NI NAREEEEEEEE!!!