I'm such an optimist that my doctor told me my blood type was B Positive.In much of Asia, especially well known in Japan, blood types are seen to determine personalities. Wikipedia summarizes this belief as follows:
— Mark Rosewater, Magic: The Gathering R&D
- Type A
- Best Traits: Earnest, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible, cautious.
- Worst Traits: Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense, obsessive, and pessimistic.
- Type B
- Best Traits: Passionate, active, creative, animal-loving, flexible, cheerful, optimistic.
- Worst Traits: Irresponsible, forgetful, selfish, lazy, impatient, unreliable, and "going own way."
- Type AB
- Best Traits: Cool, controlled, rational, sociable, adaptable, intelligent.
- Worst Traits: Critical, indecisive, unforgiving, two-faced, aloof, and "split personality."
- Type O
- Best Traits: Confident, self-determined, ambitious, strong-willed, intuitive, agreeable, competitive, athletic.
- Worst Traits: Self-centered, cold, aggressive, unpredictable, arrogant, envious, and ruthless.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Blue Exorcist includes the info for some For those wondering, Rin is type A, Yukio and Shura are both type O, Shiemi and Bon are both type B. Fujimoto's a type AB and Mephisto's isn't given.
- The manga of Cardcaptor Sakura gives blood types for most (if not all) characters. Even the nonhuman ones.
- In The Cherry Project Chieri calls Love Interest Tsuzuki a "Typical A" and he calls her a "Typical B" back.
- Cowboy Bebop's four heroes each have a different blood-type:
- Jet is type A
- Faye is type B
- Ed is type AB
- Spike is type O
- Kamiyama, Hayashida and Maeda deduce that the enigmatic Freddie of Cromartie High School is a B-type from looking at his completely unpredictable movements (sumo teppo practice shows him to be an A type and holding a textbook upside down is considered either a B type or an AB type).
- How to Read, the final volume of Death Note, gives the blood type of all the major players (save L) and several minor characters. Light, Mello, Mikami, Soichiro, Naomi Misora, and Demegawa had A. Near, Matsuda, and Watari had B. Misa, Takada, and Kyosuke Higuchi had AB. Raye Penbar, Matt, and the female members of the Yagami family had O.
- D.Gray-Man includes this information (along with birthdates and nationalities) for all major characters up to about volume 18. Most of them are All There in the Manual in the fanbook, though.
- Dream Festival!' includes this information on the main characters' profiles. Kanade and Junya are Type O, Shin is Type A, Chizuru is Type B and Itsuki is AB.
- The issue pops up in a chapter of Franken Fran, in which the school becomes obsessed with the theory to the point that it causes social splits and discrimination. This causes problems for Adorea, whose dominant blood type is constantly changing due to the sheer number of organs she stores in her body.
- Volume 6 of the Harukanaru Toki no Naka de manga includes a scene with Akane, Tenma and Shimon trying to guess the blood types of the Hachiyou based on their personalities.
- Several characters in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure have listed blood types.
- Jonathan Joestar is type A, fitting with his caring personality.
- Joseph Joestar is Type B, suiting his more playful personality and optimism, especially as a young man.
- Jotaro Kujo is also Type B, which is unusual considering his more subdued personality. But he definitely fits some of the "loner" bits of the type.
- Giorno Giovanni is the only Type AB main character, suiting his serious and introverted attitude.
- Pretty much the entire point of Ketsuekigata-kun! (pictured above), which centers around personifications of the four ABO blood types. Each of the four types is voiced by an actor who has that blood type.
- Subversion and possibly, a deconstruction: In episode 9 of Lucky Star it turned out that the personality types according to blood type were almost completely inaccurate. note
- Lampshaded in Magic Knight Rayearth, Fuu includes her blood type when introducing herself to Hikaru and Umi. Mystified, they ask why; and she hastily replies in case she needs medical attention.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!:
- 28 of 31 class members have a blood type listed (they get a small bio page in their introduction chapter in the manga) and they all fit very well. (Those who don't get a specified blood type are the vampire, the ghost and the robot...)
- Negi is type AB which very much fits his personalty also fits his parents personalities his father would be a Type B and his Mother fits Type A very well. It also befits his status as the center of the harem. AB is compatible with everyone.
- Parodied in Medaka Box, where every character has type AB.
- An episode of Naruto Shippuden deals with this. Orochimaru asks whether Kabuto is a Type A, much to his chagrin that he's AB.
- And there´s a One Piece entry. In a SBS Oda revealed the Straw Hats' blood types this way:
- Luffy is F (by extension, Jinbe too)
- Zoro is XF
- Nami is X
- Usopp is S
- Sanji is S (Rh-)
- Chopper is X
- Robin is S
- Franky is XF
- Brook is X
- Vivi is F
- Ouran High School Host Club has an absolutely hilarious scene where Kaoru and Hikaru convince Haruhi that Honey is actually evil to the core by pointing out that he has the same blood type (AB) as Kyoya. Haruhi immediately broke the Fourth Wall to apologize to any viewers with AB blood type.
- In Revolutionary Girl Utena, one episode has a tidbit where Nanami and her posse discuss the blood type-personality correlation. It reveals that, while their parents and Nanami have Type B blood, Touga (her Aloof Big Brother) has Type A, which should be impossible... it turns out that both of them were adopted. Although, due to how shaky things were getting between the two and the fact that she had been too young to remember, Nanami automatically assumes that just Touga was adopted...
Utena: Himemiya, you're type-AB, right? Let's see, type-ABs are elusive and seldom reveal their true feelings, huh?
- There's also this scene:
Anthy: And you're type-B, right, Utena-sama? Type-Bs are self-centered and prone to misconceptions....
Utena: Yeah, sorry, okay.
- The cast of Ronin Warriors follow the bloodtypes to the T:
- Ryo Sanada and Shuu Rei Fuan are Type O
- Seiji Date is A
- Shin Mouri is B
- Touma Hashiba is AB
- In Sailor Moon, all of the main characters and a few minor ones have their blood types listed.
- Type O: Usagi/Sailor Moon, Chibiusa/Sailor Chibi Moon, Makoto/Sailor Jupiter, Michiru/Sailor Neptune, Haruna-sensei
- Type A: Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask, Ami/Sailor Mercury, Setsuna/Sailor Pluto, Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter
- Type B: Minako/Sailor Venus, Haruka/Sailor Uranus, Yaten/Sailor Star Healer
- Type AB: Rei/Sailor Mars, Hotaru/Sailor Saturn, Taiki/Sailor Star Maker, Naru
- In Sketchbook many characters' personalities seem to fit their stated blood types. Hazuki Torikai (type A) is the straightest example, which is lampshaded several times in the manga. However, Sora Kajiwara (Type A) and Daichi Negishi (Type AB) are subversions, which is also lampshaded.
Daichi Negishi: I'M AB! DID YOU THINK I WAS B? BASTARDS! WELL I'M NOT! SORRY!
- In Volume 4 of Strawberry Marshmallow, there's a Q&A with a couple of questions breaking up the chapters. Blood type is asked early on. To compare:
- The Ito sisters, Chika and Nobue, share blood type A.
- Miu is type B.
- Ana is type AB.
- Matsuri is type O.
- In Weiß Kreuz, the personalities of the four original members of Weiss are all fairly well-matched to their respective blood types : Omi is type O, Aya is type A, Ken is type B, and Youji is type AB.
- You could say that this is subverted in Yu-Gi-Oh with main character Yugi Moto possessing type AB Negative blood. Cool, controlled and unforgiving definitely aren't the best choice of words to describe him.
- They are, however, a good choice of words to describe his alter-ego Yami Yugi, who shares his blood type on account of sharing his body.
- Also, a sub-characteristic associated with AB blood type is Split Personality. Or an least mood swings. Which Yugi has. In spades.
- It's played straight with Bakura, who is also type AB.
- The above rule is not played straight with Marik, though his actual given type (B) does fit his personality much better than AB. The fact that Marik's other half came from very different circumstances than Yugi's or Bakura's is probably why The Last of These Is Not Like the Others.
- Like many series, My Hero Academia shows little character profiles that include blood type. However, this is actually plot significant, since blood type affects how long Hero Killer Stain's Quirk affects people.
- In Mad Max: Fury Road it's a major plot point that Max is a universal donor and his personality actually does match up quite well with most of the traits of Type Os described above.
- Averted in South Korean girl group f(x)'s nu song NU ABO, where it describes a completely different personality symbolized by a nonexistent blood type called ABO.
- Is the whole theme of the Japanese song Blood Type Hamburger Shop, each verse featuring an employee exemplifying each blood type taking the orders of an unfortunate customer. Curiously, the verse for AB heavily downplays the "coolheaded" and "rational" bit despite mentioning it in-song, and is played more like an Absentminded Professor. Like many things, it is a subject of heavy Memetic Mutation on Nico Nico Douga, with many videos in various fandoms being created, matching up the characters with their corresponding blood type personality.
- The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. After Major Belov is severely wounded during a river assault, his wife Tatiana, a nurse in the Red Army, saves his life by donating her own blood. Belov is told it's lucky she's a universal donor. Belov can only think with irony "Of course she is."
- In Kevin J. Anderson's Death Warmed Over, a halfway house for down-and-out monsters offers expired B-positive blood packs from hospitals to vampires in need. It's not a popular flavor, but the house's manager likes to reinforce the "be positive" message.
- House is type AB ("Universal Receiver"); Wilson is type O ("Universal Donor"). In this example, the Japanese personality types are completely ignored and it's brought up in-universe solely as a comment on House's tendency to take from anyone whatever he needs and Wilson's tendency to give to anyone whatever they need.
- Generally, shows up in promotional material for any JRPG. If this gets included in Western promotional, expect some head-scratching, since in the West blood types don't have any significance attached to them.
- As a Western game with Japanese influences, battle-girl lists its heroine's blood type among her vital stats. It's B, which suits her.
- The indie RPG Cthulhu Saves the World has Umi, one of the party members, bring this up as banter. Umi states that her blood type is B+, making her a cheery person. This is averted by the fact that the other party members are an Outer-God-turned-hero, a talking sword, a necromancer, an alien, a crazy priest and a demon-dragon. These members respectively have ink, nothing, a lengthy soliloquy of pain, Uranium, and acid. The old man is insane, and therefore cannot remember his blood type.
- Crazy Taxi, at least in the manual.
- Each character in Death Smiles has their blood type listed in the manual.
- Dungeon Keeper creatures had blood types listed, for no apparent reason. It also lampshades itself with the scrolling help text if you point at a creature's blood type listing: "As if you care. Blood is blood, right?"
- Shockingly, Cloud Strife from FF VII fits the AB blood type 'personality' almost to a T. Guess which blood type he is.
- In the Japanese version of Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken, the elemental affinity of the tactician (an avatar for the player) was determined by both birth date and their blood type, both which could be manually chosen. In the international releases, since this trope doesn't have as much relevance, it was changed so that birth date was the sole factor in deciding affinity.
- In Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis, the fact that one character lacks a blood type in the manual foreshadows the game's Tomato in the Mirror reveal.
- In the Princess Maker games, stats are determined by blood type. And in 2, it also determines how stressed the girl gets; one notable aspect is that a girl with Type A blood will never smile.
- You can choose a blood type for the protagonist in Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side games. It only affects the horoscope. All of the love interests have blood types listed as well.
- The original Resident Evil had an intro with profiles of all the characters, including blood types.
- And all the other characters introduced later get blood types too. Interestingly enough, all the villains seem to have type O. Ironically both Chris and Claire Redfield have type O.
- Another Japanese-influenced game, Skullgirls, also has blood types for each of the characters, and they correspond pretty well. Some of the characters, however, don't have standard blood types — among them SG (for Skullgirl), embalmed (for Squigly), and B♭ (for Big Band).
- SoulCalibur took this to a new level of absurdity: all the characters had ABO/Rh blood types in their profile. The game is set in 1587. ABO was not discovered until 1901. Amusingly enough, Edgemaster (who randomly uses a non boss characters moveset) has a blood type of O. And Ivy's blood type is "Soul Edge."
- An early PA in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time gives the player the option of choosing Fayt's blood type. Each choice either raises or lowers the affection of certain party members, giving insight into what personality types they like and which ones they don't.
- Judging from Fayt's actual personality in the game, Type O seems to be his blood type by default (since the two that go up from this are Sophia (his childhood friend) and Albel.) To support the fact that he remains optimist throughout the game, agrees to almost everything and is very sociable to the point where he makes friends easily. Also, if the group were to ever get ambushed, he announces that "He was careless!"
- When Street Fighter II came out, character biographies included blood type.
- The Super Robot Wars series often lets the player select the birthday and blood type of the Original Generation main protagonist. While at first appearing purely cosmetic, their command lists are directly derived from the selection, divided by what astrological sign the birthday falls under and the blood type for a total of forty-eight possibilities. Selecting 11/11 B, the birthday and blood type of head producer Takanobu Terada, provides an Easter Egg set of commands that are usually the ideal possible set or close to it, while the character's default birthday and blood type provide another unique set that normally matches what the character will use should s/he appear in any other games in the franchise.
- In Valkyrie no Bouken, you get to choose a blood type at the beginning. Whereas blood type doesn't establish your personality type, it does affect the rate at which you level up: A → normal, B → precocious, O → late-blooming, AB → random.
- In the Hentai RPG Maker game Violated Heroine, you can customize the heroine's blood type at the beginning of the game to raise combat stats: Type A grants more Agility but less Spirit, Type B more Attack but less Defense, Type O more Defense but less Attack, and Type AB more Spirit but less Attack.
- Parodied for Mog from Final Fantasy VI - his official listed blood type is "black-footed duck."
- In Blip, after the Friendly Neighborhood Vampire consumes several gallons of Type B blood, she suddenly shows an impulsive streak, and the author speculates in The Rant that this trope is in play.
- Parodied in Evil, Inc.
- Narbonic: In the Director's Cut, Shaenon Garrity mentions that she had blood types worked out for the Narbonic characters. (Mell is revealed to be Type B.)
- The cast page for Skin Horse includes blood types, including for the nonhuman characters. As far as regular human blood types go, Tip the really-getting-around psychologist is Type O, Dr Lee the Only Sane Woman is Type AB, and Tigerlily Jones the insanely creative The '70s-themed Mad Scientist is Type B. Taken literally with Unity, whose personality is her blood; the patchwork girl is just something to hold it.