It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Patient Childhood Love Interest
This is a character type that shows up frequently in Harem Anime
and Visual Novels
It is usually a girl
, who grew up together with the main character, practically since infancy, and has been always in love with him, but instead of taking the initiative to become his girlfriend, she decided to take it slowly, developing a Like Brother and Sister
relationship with him. In the most stereotypical examples, this trope is usually first demonstrated by a scene of her routinely visiting him in the morning, waking him up, walking to school with him, and giving him a lunch box full of delicious food that she prepared
Basically, for the uninitiated observer, it would seem like they are already dating, and even those who know better, like their parents, or best friends, expect that they will eventually start dating and get married
At this point, the Harem
plot or Love Triangle
starts, and in face of the new rivals she realizes that it's time to get serious
. Hilarity Ensues
, sometimes involving fights over her earlier "privileges" like feeding the protagonist, or as a trump card, bringing up some sort of Childhood Marriage Promise
Often a Girl Next Door
, even more literally than that trope describes, living close to the protagonist.
In terms of personality, she tends to be either a Yamato Nadeshiko
in training, as evidenced by their cooking skills, serene patience, and the serving, yet guiding the boy at the same time, or the long friendship turns her into One of the Boys
, a Tsundere
who seems to be Vitriolic Best Buds
with the boy.
In that thing we call Real Life *
, this sort of situation is very
rare, mostly due to the Westermarck effect
; people who have known each other since they were small
children tend not to fall for one another because they literally
have more of a sibling relationship. There are exceptions to this rule, but they're very rare (and, sadly, almost always one-sided
). Typically, the earliest you can develop a proper "crush" on someone is your "pre-teen" years; works that posit an introduction of the couple prior to this can push the bounds of feasibility for many viewers.
Subtrope of Childhood Friends
. See also Childhood Friend Romance
for the more generic trope about people who knew each other since childhood falling in love.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Almost all of the main love interests in DetectiveConan, especially Shinichi and Ran, Kaito and Aoko and Heiji and Kazuha. Shinichi and Ran are already a couple now, but the other two are just too stubborn to admit they're in love.
- Serena in the Pokémon anime. It took her a while to even bring up the first time they met (which Ash had forgotten), and is often patient and helpful towards her love interest, all while blushing and waiting for him to acknowledge her. Unfortunately for her, her love interest is Ash, one of the most famous characters to ever be oblivious to love.
- Naruto: This series is filled with multiple examples, both male and female, even to the point of ridiculous. Apparently no one can move on from anyone ''ever'', even with every reason to.
- Naruto with Sakura is a prime example. He always loved her, even though she always loved Sasuke instead. Naruto tried to win Sakura over aggressively, but eventually dialed down his more serious efforts and took on a role of a largely supportive friend. Naruto won't even confess his love because he feels too guilty not bringing Sasuke back to her, though still hopes to be with Sakura someday.
- Hinata with Naruto himself as well. She always admired and crushed on Naruto since childhood, but he was always too oblivious to see it. Hinata later confesses, though Naruto never mentioned it again. She isn't over him and still keeps a hope of being with Naruto.
- Jiraiya with Tsunade. Loved her since childhood, but never took the initiative. Not that she ever liked hi ... you get it by now, right?
- This one is even more tragic, because she actually did love him, but she was too afraid to get close to anyone because her loved ones keep dying. He dies anyway.
- Rahxephon has Haruka Shitow.
- Anaru and Tsuruko from Ano Hana The Flower We Saw That Day. They may have chances to get together with the guys they like, Jintan and Yukiatsu, by the end of the series. But only after an emotionally-exhausting journey for EVERYONE in their group.
- Manami from Asobi ni Iku yo!.
- Mayu from B Gata H Kei.
- Misaki Etou from Dragon Crisis!.
- Kirie from Girls Bravo.
- Infinite Stratos has, unusually for the Harem Genre, two Patient Childhood Love Interest characters. The protagonist even classifies them as "First Childhood Friend:"note " and "Second Childhood Friend", based on the time they met with him. The first is a Tsundere, the second a Yandere.
- Kimi ni Todoke has a rare male version; Ryuu is this to Chizuru. Strangely enough, she is also an example of the trope herself...but towards Ryu's older brother.
- Mimi from Lovely Complex intentionally assumes this personality when around Ootani.
- Klan Klein to Michael from Macross Frontier.
- Haruko from Maken-ki!
- Asuka is this in one of Shinji's dream sequences in the last episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- Omamori Himari starts with Rinko in the role, but it turns out Yuuto had an Arranged Marriage and Childhood Marriage Promise with Kuesu before his memories were sealed and lets not forget Himari herself.
- Subverted with Iroha from Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!, for she is VERY Clingy.
- Manami from Ore Imo.
- Sohara in Heaven's Lost Property.
- Isana from Yumekui Merry.
- A possible interpretation of Koyuki's feelings for Ginta in MÄR. This attitude is carried over into Snow as well, even though she didn't grow up with Ginta. The anime ends with Koyuki and Snow merging into one person to be with Ginta followed by a rather touching moment as they walk home together, their arms locked.
- Rihoko from Amagami
- Shirayuki from Hidan no Aria.
- Fujioka and Kana from Minami-ke have been friends for awhile and he has a longstanding crush on her. She's so Oblivious to Love though that one starts to wonder if he should just give up. Given how popular he is with the ladies though, he'll probably catch his break once she hits puberty.
- Ringo Noyamane from Air Gear, where the protagonist Ikki actually lived for years in the same household with her and her sisters (the eldest of which, Rika, was promoted to parent), so they were almost literally Like Brother and Sister. She seems to have the upper hand now though, as Ikki's Link Tuner.
- Takashi in Highschool of the Dead, a male example. Subverted later: when Rei's boyfriend Hisashi is bitten by zombies, Takashi kinda uses it to get Rei for himself, and he's later shown to consider it as his personal Moral Event Horizon.
- Emily from Gundam AGE. She wins and marries Flit but at a very high price: knowing that she won mostly because the other girl in the "Love Triangle", Yurin, died.
- Neneko from DearS.
- Yuki from Iketeru Futari.
- Viciously criticised and torn apart in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Sayaka Miki was this to an Ill Boy named Kyousuke Kamijou, quietly staying by his side as he was hospitalized without daring to tell him how she felt for him. When Sayaka became a Magical Girl, she used her Wish to heal him so he could stop being stuck in the hospital. Thing is, doing things for someone else's sake without him/her even knowing — is very much NOT a good idea in this particularly dark Magical Girl series, and specially when it's paired with Sayaka's huge and complex issues. Therefore, when she first expresses the desire to use her Wish for him, Mami immediately questions her real purpose, which makes Sayaka go silent... and seeing her friend and fellow prospect PCLI Hitomi be assertive and true to *her* feelings for Kamijou and become his girlfriend instead is one of the several reasons why Sayaka fell into utter despair, and ultimately became a witch.
- Both Yayoi Aoba and Sanae Nakazawa are this to Tsubasa in Captain Tsubasa. Yayoi moves on and stays friends with him and might end up with his friend Misugi instead, while Sanae eventually switches to Victorious Childhood Friend when she and Tsubasa are teenagers and they end up married.
- Deconstructed in the Homestuck fic I Will Not Let This Consume Me. Eridan is too afraid of rejection to confess his feelings. He ends up resenting his friendship with Feferi and pushing her away.
Eridan: I can't tell her, okay? I don't want to mess things up. What if I weird her out and she doesn't want me around anymore? What would I do then, Kar? No. I just need to think about it...clear my mind...think of the best way to approach this. Wait for the right moment.
Karkat: What moment exactly?
The one when she'll randomly reveal to you that she's been longing to touch you indiscreetly all along? Or the one when she'll finally notice you and fall for the red solicitations you're not even making because you're too scared? Answer me that. Because I can't even tell if you believe the rubbish that comes out of your mouth anymore.
Eridan: What the fuck, Kar? I don't need this kind of bullshit from you.
Karkat: Okay, sorry. But if you're waiting for me to tell you what you want to hear, you're talking to the wrong troll. Listen, dude, I get that it's pretty fucked up and complicated. But what's your plan? Wait your own feelings out? Wait for things to magically solve themselves?
- A variation in ˝ Prince. Since Zhou moved away 8 years before the events of the story he found Lan in an online game and became her husband there, at least until she looses interest and goes on to a new game. When he finds her again in both the real world and the new MMORPG she switches to she's developed to the point of no longer wanting to hide behind a man, and he has to adopt a more aggressive strategy to win her over. He can't, and ends up losing her to Gui.
- Eva Luna had strong feelings and slight whiffs of the trope for Huberto Naranjo, the local Street Urchin and Jerk with a Heart of Gold, ever since they met as kids no older than 10. As a pre-teen, she was this to a T towards him, and was frustrated because he told her "Youre Just a Kid" many times which was a Jerk Ass Facade since he always held a torch for Eva but didn't want to admit it. When they did get together, they only saw each other counted times yet she pantiently waited for him. Unusually for the trope, Eva is critisized for it by her Cool Big Sis Mimi, who also knows Huberto from childhood and loudly wonders "What Does She See in Him?". And in the end, they break up amiably and she gets together with Intrepid Reporter Rolf instead.
Live Action TV
- This is Shana's attitude towards her love for Dart in The Legend of Dragoon. It takes the rest of the party talking some sense into Dart before he finally reciprocates.
- In Ar tonelico, Shurelia's cosmosphere has Aurica as this. At one point, she confesses her love to Lyner. He has to reject her in order to advance the plot of the cosmosphere. If he accepts, Shurelia will complain and force him to redo the level.
- To an extent, at least to the shippers, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Saria and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess' Ilia.
- Elements of this are played with both Cloud and Tifa from Final Fantasy VII. While the former's interest in Tifa isn't revealed until later into the game, the latter is the more obvious one being Cloud's staple childhood friend who has feelings for him, but it's subverted in that Tifa never really noticed him until after he left to join SOLDIER.
- Tana from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is this to Ephraim. She can be one of his two brides, but her feelings can potentially be swayed towards Cormag as well.
- Tana's older brother Innes can be seen as a Rare Male Example towards Ephraim's twin sister Eirika. Again, he can end up with her but he can also fall for someone else: in his case, it's either Vanessa or L'Arachel.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, Cynthia is hinted to be this to Inigo. Whether she gets him or not, it depends on your strategies.
- Ironically, it's implied that Owain is a Rare Male Example... for Cynthia herself. Again, whether they get together or not depends on you.
- And this may or may not be the case for Gerome in regards to Cynthia, too. You know the deal.
- Tia from Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals shows that this does not work; Selan, Maxim's destined love interest, beats her into a confession. The man doesn't even notice her feeling for him.
- In the first entry of the SNK Dating Sims Days of Memories, Boku to Kanojo no Atsui Natsu Athena Asamiya is both this and the local Idol Singer. (Not in the others, however.)
- Akari from To Heart, who contributed to the popularization of this archetype, especially the waking him up in the morning part.
- In Cross Channel, the Genre Savvy Taichi comments that Nanaka's personality fits the Patient Childhood Love Interest trope, so it must be a flaw in the plot that she isn't really his childhood friend. She's actually his mother.
- Kei Shindou in ef - a fairy tale of the two. is a classic Tsundere variation.
- Kaede from SHUFFLE!. Sia and Nerine are childhood friends too, but Kaede's the one who fits the definition to a T.
- Brass Restoration has a rare twist on this where the childhood friend, Minori, is a Cloudcuckoo Lander. Much humor is milked from the way she seems to follow many of the traits in the trope description, in the worst ways possible, such as making lunch for Ryo...except it's all rice.
- Mizuka Nagamori from ONE ~To the Radiant Season~ is probably as straight as an example as it gets, possibly even exaggerated, considering the extent to which she takes care of protagonist Kouhei Orihara, who is a troublesome combination of a Jerk Ass and Cloudcuckoo Lander.
- Da Capo has Sakura Yoshino, who's actually the protagonist's cousin but often called such by him. His adopted sister Nemu has more of the stereotypical characteristics of this trope, though - waking him up in the morning, going to school, long standing love, etc.
- Subverted with Otome Katou from School Days, who triples as none other than Alpha Bitch and Jerk Ass.
- Sumika from Muv-Luv to Takeru. She's content with their masochism tango until the very aggressive Meiya came into the picture. Meiya herself may also count even though she wasn't with him for most of her life.
- Sayaka Maizono from Dangan Ronpa seems to be headed to this direction, even when she and Naegi knew each other mostly in passing. Subverted in that Sayaka had decided to frame him for murder in the Hope's Peak murderous atmosphere... but then she was killed instead.
- Mikae Morikawa from True Love Junai Monogatari. Very cute, a tsundere, and the main guy's childhood friend. And she has never forgotten the Childhood Marriage Promise they made.
- Nora, of RWBY, is attracted to Ren, but doesn't pursue a relationship with him because, in her own words, it would just be weird. (It's unclear whether he reciprocates or not.)
- In Danny Phantom Sam had been Danny's friend since they were little kids, and despite her obvious attraction to him she Can't Spit It Out until the finale.