open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Ringo Noyamane from Air Gear, where the protagonist Ikki actually lived for years in the same household with her and her sisters (the eldest of which, Rika, was promoted to parent), so they were almost literally Like Brother and Sister. She seems to have the upper hand now though, as Ikki's Link Tuner.
- Anaru and Tsuruko from anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day. They may have chances to get together with the guys they like, Jintan and Yukiatsu, by the end of the series. But only after an emotionally-exhausting journey for EVERYONE in their group.
- Both Yayoi Aoba and Sanae Nakazawa are this to Tsubasa in Captain Tsubasa. Yayoi moves on and stays Just Friends with him and might end up with his friend Misugi instead, while Sanae eventually switches to Victorious Childhood Friend when she and Tsubasa are teenagers and they end up married.
- Almost all of the main love interests in Detective Conan, especially Shinichi and Ran, Kaito and Aoko and Heiji and Kazuha. Shinichi and Ran are already a couple now (sort of), but the other two are just too stubborn to admit they're in love. Though it looks like Kazuha and Heiji are surely going that way.
- Girls Bravo: Subverted in Kirie's case. Her first and only real attempt to get closer to Yukinari is in episode 4, where she fixes him a box bento in hopes of going on a lunch date with him. Which fails due to a series of unforeseen events and, with Lisa now entering the picture, along with Miharu, Kirie knew she didn't have a chance. So she calls it quits and settles for just being friends with him.
- Sohara in Heaven's Lost Property. She's Tomoki's childhood friend, lives next door from him, often goes to his house in the morning to wake him up and despite usually beating him up with karate chops, she very obviously loves him and is always looking after him.
- Highschool of the Dead zigzags the trope with Takashi and Rei, who both fill the role at different points in the series:
- They used to date back in middle-school, but broke up after Rei was forced to repeat her junior year. During that time, Takashi began to ignore her since she wouldn't talk to him about it, causing her to think he had abandoned her. So she began dating Takashi's best friend, Hiashi, because he provided her with the emotional support she needed.
- Despite the above, Rei still harbored feelings for Takashi, while Takashi tried to hide his resentment over Hisashi's relationship with her. But Hisashi was bitten during the outbreak and briefly became one of "them", which forced Takashi to kill him. Rei was left conflicted by her resentment towards Takashi over Hisashi's death and her lingering feelings for him. She soon decided on the latter and now hopes to rekindle what they once had.
- However, the anime version complicates the issue with additional amounts of Ship Tease between Takashi and Saeko, which wasn't seen in the manga. Leaving Rei in the unenviable position of having to compete with Saeko for Takashi's affections. Though in episode 11, she and Takshi hook up again.
- Infinite Stratos has, unusually for the Harem Genre, two Patient Childhood Love Interest characters. The protagonist even classifies them as "First Childhood Friend:"note " and "Second Childhood Friend", based on the time they met with him. The first is a Tsundere, the second a Yandere.
- Kimi ni Todoke has a rare male version; Ryuu is this to Chizuru. Strangely enough, she is also an example of the trope herself...but towards Ryu's older brother.
- Mimi from Lovely Complex intentionally assumes this personality when around Ootani.
- A possible interpretation of Koyuki's feelings for Ginta in MÄR. This attitude is carried over into Snow as well, even though she didn't grow up with Ginta. The anime ends with Koyuki and Snow merging into one person to be with Ginta followed by a rather touching moment as they walk home together, their arms locked.
- Fujioka and Kana from Minami-ke have been friends for awhile and he has a longstanding crush on her. She's so Oblivious to Love though that one starts to wonder if he should just give up. Given how popular he is with the ladies though, he'll probably catch his break once she hits puberty.
- Frau Bow from Mobile Suit Gundam, whose name actually translates to "wife". There's a lot of focus on how much she cares for and supports the protagonist, her best friend Amuro. He seems like an Ungrateful Bastard a lot of the time, but he does finally call her "boku no suki na Frau" = "my sweet Frau" at the end. No, their relationship isn't any less complicated in the sequel.
- Naruto: This series is filled with multiple examples, both male and female, even to the point of ridiculous. Apparently no one can move on from anyone ''ever'', even with every reason to.
- Hinata with Naruto himself as well. She always admired and crushed on Naruto since childhood, but he was always too oblivious to see it. Hinata later confesses, though Naruto never mentioned it again. She isn't over him and still keeps a hope of being with Naruto. Her patience is rewarded; Naruto finally reciprocates her feelings in The Last, and by the epilogue, they're married with two children.
- Jiraiya with Tsunade. Loved her since childhood, but never took the initiative. This one is even more tragic, because she actually did love him, but she was too afraid to get close to anyone because her loved ones keep dying. He dies anyway.
- Asuka is this in one of Shinji's dream sequences in the last episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion and the "Angelic Days" manga.
- Omamori Himari starts with Rinko in the role, but it turns out Yuuto had an Arranged Marriage and Childhood Marriage Promise with Kuesu before his memories were sealed and lets not forget Himari herself.
- Subverted with Iroha from Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!, for she is VERY Clingy.
- Serena in the Pokémon anime. It took her a while to even bring up the first time they met (which Ash had forgotten), and is often patient and helpful towards her love interest, all while blushing and waiting for him to acknowledge her. Unfortunately for her, her love interest is Ash, one of the most famous characters to ever be oblivious to love.
- Sayaka Miki from Puella Magi Madoka Magica quietly stood by Kyousuke Kamijou's side as he was hospitalized without daring to tell him how she felt for him. When Sayaka became a Magical Girl, she used her Wish to heal him so he could stop being stuck in the hospital. Thing is, doing things for someone else's sake without him/her even knowing — is very much NOT a good idea in this particularly dark Magical Girl series, and specially when it's paired with Sayaka's huge and complex issues. Therefore, when she first expresses the desire to use her Wish for him, Mami immediately questions her real purpose, which makes Sayaka go silent... and seeing her friend and fellow prospect PCLI Hitomi be assertive and true to *her* feelings for Kamijou and become his girlfriend instead is one of the several reasons why Sayaka fell into utter despair, and ultimately became a witch.
- Deconstructed in the Homestuck fic I Will Not Let This Consume Me. Eridan is too afraid of rejection to confess his feelings. He ends up resenting his friendship with Feferi and pushing her away.
Eridan: I can't tell her, okay? I don't want to mess things up. What if I weird her out and she doesn't want me around anymore? What would I do then, Kar? No. I just need to think about it...clear my mind...think of the best way to approach this. Wait for the right moment.Karkat: What moment exactly? The one when she'll randomly reveal to you that she's been longing to touch you indiscreetly all along? Or the one when she'll finally notice you and fall for the red solicitations you're not even making because you're too scared? Answer me that. Because I can't even tell if you believe the rubbish that comes out of your mouth anymore.Eridan: What the fuck, Kar? I don't need this kind of bullshit from you.Karkat: Okay, sorry. But if you're waiting for me to tell you what you want to hear, you're talking to the wrong troll. Listen, dude, I get that it's pretty fucked up and complicated. But what's your plan? Wait your own feelings out? Wait for things to magically solve themselves?
- Chiyo of Despair's Last Resort fell in love with a boy from her childhood and decided to wait until they were older to confess. She never gets the chance. He dies of a terminal illness before she can.
- In The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, Norval and Trudy are childhood friends and at one point Norval confesses that he was always in love with her but couldn't spit it out all this time.
- In Preacher's Kid, Wynton has been patiently waiting on Angie for years, but she sees him as nothing more than a friend, and her father refused to grant permission to date her because she's too busy with the Lord's work.
- A variation in ½ Prince. Since Zhou moved away 8 years before the events of the story he found Lan in an online game and became her husband there, at least until she looses interest and goes on to a new game. When he finds her again in both the real world and the new MMORPG she switches to she's developed to the point of no longer wanting to hide behind a man, and he has to adopt a more aggressive strategy to win her over. He can't, and ends up losing her to Gui.
- Eva Luna had strong feelings and slight whiffs of the trope for Huberto Naranjo, the local Street Urchin and Jerk with a Heart of Gold, ever since they met as kids no older than 10. As a pre-teen, she was this to a T towards him, and was frustrated because he told her "Youre Just a Kid" many times which was a Jerk Ass Facade since he always held a torch for Eva but didn't want to admit it. When they did get together, they only saw each other counted times yet she pantiently waited for him. Unusually for the trope, Eva is critisized for it by her Cool Big Sis Mimi, who also knows Huberto from childhood and loudly wonders "What Does She See in Him?". And in the end, they break up amiably and she gets together with Intrepid Reporter Rolf instead.
- Initially, Tommy Beresford to Tuppence Cowley, who remained somewhat oblivious and insisted that she and Tommy were just good mates until the Love Epiphany hit. For his part, Tommy treats Tuppence as a friend and does not make the full extent of his feelings known even to the reader until she is believed dead and he launches into a "The Reason You Suck" Speech on a lesser suitor who claims to mourn her deeply despite having known her for a matter of days.
Live Action TV
- Willow is this to Xander in the first seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- In British sitcom The Inbetweeners, Simon is this to Carli.
- During the run of the 11th Doctor on Doctor Who we find out that Rory was essentially like this to Amy Pond. They spent their childhood as friends, and as soon as they were old enough Rory fell hard for her and never even showed interest in anyone else. It was Amy that always had doubts and occasional longings for others, until they were actually married.
- This is Shana's attitude towards her love for Dart in The Legend of Dragoon. It takes the rest of the party talking some sense into Dart before he finally reciprocates.
- In Ar tonelico, Shurelia's cosmosphere has Aurica as this. At one point, she confesses her love to Lyner. He has to reject her in order to advance the plot of the cosmosphere. If he accepts, Shurelia will complain and force him to redo the level.
- To an extent, at least to the shippers, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Saria and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess' Ilia.
- The actual game has Ruto, who still considers herself your fiancee after the seven-year Time Skip.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword has Zelda herself, who, living on a tiny floating island, naturally has known Link all her life. The game starts with her sending a letter via her Loftwing to wake him up for his graduation ceremony.
- Elements of this are played with both Cloud and Tifa from Final Fantasy VII. While the former's interest in Tifa isn't revealed until later into the game, the latter is the more obvious one being Cloud's staple childhood friend who has feelings for him, but it's subverted in that Tifa never really noticed him until after he left to join SOLDIER.
- Tana from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is this to Ephraim. She can be one of his two brides, but her feelings can potentially be swayed towards Cormag as well.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, Cynthia is hinted to be this to Inigo. Whether she gets him or not, it depends on your strategies.
- Tia from Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals shows that this does not work; Selan, Maxim's destined love interest, beats her into a confession. The man doesn't even notice her feeling for him.
- In the first entry of the SNK Dating Sims Days of Memories, Boku to Kanojo no Atsui Natsu Athena Asamiya is both this and the local Idol Singer. (Not in the others, however.)
- Yandere Simulator is set to feature one of these as Yandere-chan's first rival for Senpai's affections. For bonus points, her name is Osana Najimi.
- Akari from To Heart, who contributed to the popularization of this archetype, especially the waking him up in the morning part.
- In CROSS†CHANNEL, the Genre Savvy Taichi comments that Nanaka's personality fits the Patient Childhood Love Interest trope, so it must be a flaw in the plot that she isn't really his childhood friend. She's actually his mother.
- Kei Shindou in ef - a fairy tale of the two. is a classic Tsundere variation.
- Kaede from SHUFFLE!. Sia and Nerine are childhood friends too, but Kaede's the one who fits the definition to a T.
- Brass Restoration has a rare twist on this where the childhood friend, Minori, is a Cloudcuckoo Lander. Much humor is milked from the way she seems to follow many of the traits in the trope description, in the worst ways possible, such as making lunch for Ryo...except it's all rice.
- Mizuka Nagamori from ONE ~To the Radiant Season~ is probably as straight as an example as it gets, possibly even exaggerated, considering the extent to which she takes care of protagonist Kouhei Orihara, who is a troublesome combination of a Jerk Ass and Cloudcuckoo Lander.
- Da Capo has Sakura Yoshino, who's actually the protagonist's cousin but often called such by him. His adopted sister Nemu has more of the stereotypical characteristics of this trope, though - waking him up in the morning, going to school, long standing love, etc.
- Subverted with Otome Katou from School Days, who triples as none other than Alpha Bitch and Jerk Ass.
- Sumika from Muv-Luv to Takeru. She's content with their masochism tango until the very aggressive Meiya came into the picture. Meiya herself may also count even though she wasn't with him for most of her life.
- Sayaka Maizono from Dangan Ronpa seems to be headed to this direction, even when she and Naegi knew each other mostly in passing. Subverted in that Sayaka had decided to frame him for murder in the Hope's Peak murderous atmosphere... but then she was killed instead.
- Mikae Morikawa from True Love Junai Monogatari. Very cute, a tsundere, and the main guy's childhood friend. And she has never forgotten the Childhood Marriage Promise they made.