Webcomic: Dubious Company
Pirates, ninjas, and other cliches, wholesale.
"Elator's Archetype though, pegs him as being able to stumble his way through any situation none the worse for wear."
— Sal (who could be referring to anyone in the cast)
Dubious Company is an adventure comedy comic written by Ben Hsu (AKA Tagalong) and drawn by Elaine Tipping (AKA Tria).
It follows Captain Walter Herindale and his best buddy Tiren as they build an assorted quirky crew
in order to do... something, mostly heavy drinking. All the while they spoof
and play with
, and genre
they come across. Oh, and dealing with Emperor Kreedor's Elite Guards.
Can be found here
Also see the Crowning Moments
and Character Page
This Web Comic contains examples (by story arc) of:
open/close all folders
Comic In General
- Aerith and Bob: We have Walter, Leeroy, Mary, Sue, Marty, Gary and (possibly) Sal mixing with Tiren, Elator (Elly), Izor, Kreedor, etc.
- Art Evolution: Compare This comic to this one.
- Badass Bookworm: Tria. The artist is a multilingual educator and practices Atarashii Naginata.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Occasionally.
- Creator Cameo: Tria, Tagalong, and their webmaster occasionally appear.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male
- Five-Man Band: There are two bands; the Sky Pirates and the Imperials. More evident since On the Middle of Nowhere.
- Magic Versus Science: sort of. The Imperial Elites rely heavily on magic, with limited technological understanding. The pirates are heavy on the technology, and have no access to magic. Both sides are presented with advantages and limitations.
- Orcus on His Throne: Emperor Kreedor takes this Up to Eleven. So far he hasn't left his throne once in the entire comic. Not even gaining godlike powers has enticed him to actually carry out his evil plans himself.
- Schedule Slip: In the beginning. Now is faithfully updated twice a week.
- Took a Level in Badass: Everyone, very subtlety through-out the run. Originally, the pirates were only able to defeat the Sues by attacking them in their sleep and still needed to fight dirty and outnumber them. During the rematch at Kreedor's castle, they were only slightly outmatched while going one-on-one.
- Unsound Effect: sound effects for gestures are common. Such as "nod" and "stand".
Shipwrecked In Paradise
- Keelhauling: Walter claims this as a punishment, until Tiren deconstructs its usefulness on a flying ship.
- Ninjas VS Pirates: Averted, Walter and Tiren get along fine
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The series starts OFF with Tiren wondering that. Walter found her as a stowaway while she was sleeping. It happens a few more times in the story. (Hey, they're pirates. They get drunk)
Of Rescues and Mutinies
- Action Mom: Tiren's mother was also a ninja, based on this Survival Mantra.
- Born Lucky: Sal is the future high priestess of the god of Randomness, things tend to go her way.
- As the crew is nearby Sal, this is often extend to them. This includes suddenly finding cover in the middle of a fight on their own ship.
- Crash-Into Hello: How did Elly meet Mary? Walter threw him on her.
- Walk the Plank: Walter subjects Barry to this. Tiren complains about doing it while docked.
Traitor In Our Midst
Get The Kitty
The Empire Strikes... Next?
Izor's Amazing Plan (Of Amazement)!
On The Middle of Nowhere
Back To School
Festival Of Veils
Star Something? (Title pending)
The Search for the McGuffins!!
The Evil Tower of Evil
Supplemental & Filler