Video Game / Super Robot Wars GC
Super Robot Wars GC
is the first and only Nintendo GameCube Super Robot Wars
installment. It would later be ported to the Xbox 360
under the title Super Robot Wars XO
, which had an online mode called "Super Robot Competition".
Like the Sega Dreamcast
port of Super Robot Wars Alpha
plays the Video Game 3D Leap
by using fully 3D battle animations. GC
is the first game to feature multiple Hit Point
bars on all units. Aside from the primary HP bar representing the "body", the "head", "arms" and "legs" of all units are also given HP values. By targeting specific parts of a unit, it may be disabled during combat scenarios rather than become destroyed. Additionally, disabling enemy units allows the player to capture them to add to the playable roster or sell the machine for credits or turned into equippable parts.
Finally, in a similar vein to the Stat Grinding
system used in Final Fantasy II
features the "Skill Ace System", wherein pilots will earn bonuses to stats and other attributes by repeating certain actions during scenarios, such as using melee or ranged attacks, successfully evading or hitting enemies, dealing Critical Hits
and casting "Spirit Commands".
Series listing (debuting series are highlighted in bold
Tropes for Super Robot Wars GC are:
- Adaptational Heroism: Zeon deploys the Apsalus III during its second attempt to capture Jaburo. Aina is piloting it but Ginias soon assumes control over it after removing a half-hearted Aina from the cockpit. Ginias asked Norris to take Aina to safety while he pilots the Apsalas III himself in spite of his poor health, vowing victory for Zeon. In essence, Banpresto treated Ginias a lot better in GC than in the original series.
- A Day in the Limelight: GC is this for the One Year War and the Neo Zeon movement - you jump from one to the other, and there is no Titans force to worry about. The main OYW pilots all live (so no, Slegger and Ryu DON'T die) and stay on your side through the entire game, the White Base is your main ride (even after getting the Gundor), and Bright Noa is always important to the plot. Plus, you can recruit Lalah Sune WITHOUT A SECRET.
- Alternative Calendar: Takes place in the Year 0079 of the Universal Century
- Back from the Dead: Emperor Gore.
- Beam Spam: Cloud Harken's Fire Harken, Dancougar's Dankuuhou Formation
- The Bet: on whether the Edon Kingdom will fall or not.
- BFG: Both L-Gaim's Buster Launcher, Zeta Gundam's Hi-Mega Launcher, Hyaku Shiki's Mega Bazooka Launcher, Kruez Warheit's Long Rifle and God Raijinoh's God Raijin Bazooka
- BFS: Mazinkaiser's Kaiser Blade, Dancougar's DanCouKoGaKen, Soul Saber's Blast Sword
- Big Bad: Hellruga Izberga
- Blood Knight: Regianne Josephine
- Chest Blaster: Shin Getter Robo's Getter Beam, Soul Saber's Buster Blaster, Mazinger's Breast Fire, Great Mazinger's Breast Burn and Mazinkaiser's Fire Blaster
- Christmas Cake: Fairey Firefly
- Combining Mecha: Daltanius, Baxinger, Neo Getter Robo, Shin Getter Robo, Dancougar, Raijin-Oh and Daioja
- Cyber Cyclops: The Zeon mooks.
- Degraded Boss: Gilga-Zamune, Compound Kikaijuu Garadoubla, Zan Gaioh, Apsalas II, Apsalas III
- Eldritch Abomination: Muge Zolbados, Emperor Warusa
- The Empire: Grados Empire, Giganos Empire, Muge Zolbados Empire
- Evil Knockoff: Jaaku Raijinoh
- Evil Versus Evil: Interdimensional Alliance Vs. Intergalactic Alliance
- Fix Fic: Lalah Sune, Bernie Wiseman, Four Murasame, Elpeo Puru, Puru 2, Alan Igor, and the Baxinger Team except Don Condor get to live.
- Heel–Face Door-Slam: Lee Sue Min
- Heel–Face Turn: Sally Emil, Sieg Altreet, Char Aznable, Gascon, Bernie Wiseman, Aina Sahelin, Lalah Sune, Elpeo Puru, Puru 2, Meio Plato
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: Kouji Kabuto, Tetsuya Tsurugi, Sieg Altreet and Sally Emil
- Human Aliens (The Gradosians, the Daiohja characters, and the L-Gaim characters.)
- King Incognito: Prince Edward Mito
- Akemi Akatsuki (either of them) has "Charge the Souls of Fighters", "Splendid Star", "Chance of Victory", and "Real Ability".
- Sieg and Sally have "Slashing Beat".
- Josephine and Vought have "Mouko" (Onslaught).
- Hellruga, the Big Bad, has "Hantareta Kyoki" ("Madness Unleashed").
- Lethal Joke Character: Over the course of the game, you can capture grunt mecha from various shows, and some of them (mostly from Mobile Suit Gundam, Metal Armor Dragonar, and Heavy Metal L-Gaim) can be used. Naturally, the better, star mechs from the show are better, but these often upgrade rather cheaply and some carry some pretty powerful attacks. Notable is the High Mobility Prototype Zaku 2 - you can replay the fifth subscenario as many times as you want, and get up to three of these every time you play. Considering they're already upgraded Zaku 2s...
- Also note that any mech you capture remains with you in a New Game+. So later game "grunt" mechs may be able to outright beat early units in power, mobility, and defenses.
- The game also throws a few bad mechs at you for this type of use, notably a Ball and a GM (not a custom type of GM like the potential GM Sniper you can get later, but a normal GM) and, as always, Boss Borot. The Ball is also cheap, and its one attack is a seven range cannon with 20 rounds. The GM is a weaker and cheaper version of the Ground Type Gundam you get a few missions later, and Boss Borot remains frail, easy to repair if it dies (10 money!), and cheap to upgrade, but it has the added bonus of a 1 range attack with REALLY high power, on top of three pilots who have good Spirit pools. Plus, it can Repair and Resupply. Sure, it can't take hits, but its usability makes it potentially useful.
- Possibly one of the most interesting examples comes from Sasuraiger, the third of the J9 trio. The robot form is much more like a Real Robot instead of a Super Robot (can't take hits, dodges reasonably well), and it has a train transformation. UNLIKE most normal vehicle transformations, this train is bulkier than Sasuraiger, has better attacks, and is less dodgy - meaning they invert the Super/Real relation! Now, looking at the stats, you can tell the train is better (aside, of course, from not being able to access the J9 Special), but the idea of using a train to kill everything, ESPECIALLY since Braigar's two transformations (the Brai-Star and Brai-Thunder) are situational at best and joke forms at the worst...
- Meaningful Name: Fairey Firefly was the name of a two-seater airplane during World War II. She's the sub pilot of Akemi Akatsuki's mecha.
- Opposite-Sex Clone: The protagonist, Akatsuki Akemi has two genders.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Sadly a lot of the OYW pilots run into the problem of running face-first into the Newtype bloat once they hit Zeta-era. The 08th MS Team and Chris/Bernie are outclassed even by people like Fa Yuri which is a little sad. Shiro/Aina are literally only worth deploying if you use both of them for their Love bonus.
- Psychic Powers: Newtypes.
- Robeast: Mechasauruses and Mechanical Beasts.
- Rocket Punch: Daltanius's Double Knuckle, Turbo Smasher Punch, Drill Pressure Punch, and the original Rocket Punch.
- Power-Up Letdown: The Layzner will actually LOSE attack power when it upgrades. The Powered Layzner's V-MAX tops out at 4900, the Mk 2 tops out at 5000, and Layzner will top out at 5250. Everything else about the unit is powered up, though, so you trade power for invulnerability as enemies fail to hit a V-Max Powered/V-MAXIMUM boosted unit.
- Put on a Bus: The Titans (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam's enemy group) never show up in the game.
- Secret Character
- Dragonar: Dragoons
- Mazinkaiser: Upgraded Great Mazinger and Venus A
- L-Gaim: Bat-Shu
- Not really a secret character, you can get them pretty commonly. That one particular one is nice, yes, but not really secret.
- UC Gundam: Four Murasame in the Re-GZ, Fa Yuiry in Ground Combat-Type GM, Aina Sahalin with the GM Sniper & Apsalas II, Bernie Wiseman (he will not bring a unit with him), Puru Two in Qubeley Mk-II, Nu Gundam and Sazabi.
- Shin VS Neo Getter Robo: Jack and Mary King and their Texas Mack
- Layzner: Getting the Mk 2 instead of Powered Layzner.
- Smug Snake: Khamen Khamen, Shapiro Keats and Dorchenov
- Social Darwinist: The Grados Empire
- Spiritual Predecessor: To Super Robot Wars NEO
- Super Mode: Mazinger Z, Great Mazinger and Mazinkaiser's Mazin Power, Shin Getter Robo's God Getter mode, Dancougar's Aggressive Beast Mode
- Super Title 64 Advance: GC stands for "Gamecube", naturally
- Transforming Mecha: Braiger, Neo Getter Robo, Shin Getter Robo, Sasuraiger, Zeta Gundam, Gundam Double Zeta, and Trider G7.
- Villain Team-Up:
- Giganos Empire and Principality Of Zeon.
- Interdimensional Alliance (Guardisword, Nubia Connection and Muge Zolbados Empire).
- Intergalactic Alliance (Zarl Empire, Grados Empire and Poseidal Empire).
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Naturally applies to Watta and the children of class 5-2. Luckily, since Watta has the benefit of being the heir of a company, he is allowed to go into space. The children of class 5-2, on the other hand, initially aren't due to their parents and teachers' protests (much to Jin's frustration).