Founded in 2011, Studio Trigger is a studio founded by Hiroyuki Imaishi, other Ex-Gainax staff members that were behind Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Ex-Studio 4°C staff members that were stationed between Telecom, Gainax and Kyo Ani at the time of its founding; Trigger is a studio that is getting a lot of praise in the animation industry because of its production methods.Their second in-house anime production, Kill la Kill, was announced in the June 2013 issue of Newtype Magazine, with Gurren Lagann's director and lead character designer on board. Another original project, Kiznaiver, was announced in October 2015 and premiered on April 9, 2016. On February 7, 2016, they anounced another original project, Uchuu Patrol Luloco ("Space Patrol Luluco") both aired as a part of the Spring 2016 Anime.
Works produced by Trigger:
- Battlesaurs: A minute long short (done up as an intro) based on the same characters featured in Toy Story That Time Forgot.note
- Inferno Cop: First (major) production.
- Little Witch Academia: Part of Anime Mirai 2013, replacing Telecom Animation Film'snote slot for the year. Also provided In-Between Animation and Production Cooperation for 2014 entries Harmonienote and Kuro no Su - Chronusnote .
- Kill la Kill: First television production and their Breakthrough Hit.
- Ninja Slayer: Based on the books by Honda Yu and Sugi Leika.
- When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace: Based on the light novel of the same name.
- Shorts for Japan Animator Expo:
- Denkou Choujin Gridman: boys invent great hero: An animated short based on the 90s live-action series.
- SEX and VIOLENCE with MACHSPEED, directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi.
- Bureau of Proto Society.
- Space Patrol Luluco: 5-year Milestone Celebration .
- Kiznaiver: Second television production.
Works Trigger assisted with:
- Black Dynamite: 2nd Season Opening.
- Black★Rock Shooter: Animation Production Cooperation.
- The Devil Is a Part-Timer!: Key Animation.
- The iDOLM@STER: Animation Production Cooperation.
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: 2nd Key Animation for the 2012 series; In-Between Animation for Stardust Crusaders.
- Magi – Labyrinth of Magic: Production Assistance.
- Monster Strike: Production Asistance for episode 4.
- Power Plant No. 33: Yet another animated short for the Japan Anima(tor)'s Exhibition. Trigger did the animation.
- Project X Zone: Opening, first thing done by Trigger.
- Rinne no Lagrange: Kamogawa Days: Key Animation.
- Sword Art Online: Animation Production Cooperation.
- Tokyo Ravens: In-Between Animation.
Tropes associated with Studio Trigger:
- Animation Bump:
- Author Appeal: Limited Animation and Off Model is always featured in their series.
- Fanservice: Kill la Kill is this to a T.
- Limited Animation:
- Off Model: Invoked as all of their series feature this. It's not a bad thing though.
- Series Mascot: The Trigger Girls. While the prospect of an anime starring them started out as an April Fools' Day joke, it's eventually revealed that the middle one, AKA Miss Trigger, is actually Luluco.
- The Verse: Space Patrol Luluco ends up sharing one with at least four other Trigger works and is the origin story of the studio's mascot.