Creator: Rough Draft Studios
Rough Draft Studios
is a California
based studio founded in 1991 by animator Gregg Vanzo. Originally the company started out in a garage. But while working on The Ren & Stimpy Show
, Gregg's wife Nikki suggested to show creator John Kricfalusi
about outsourcing to South Korea
—which was how the company's South Korean division was formed.
Compare Production I.G
, Toon City
and Digital eMation
, four companies that also use CGI in their animation, and on the Korean side of things. Compare (And contrast) AKOM
, their partner on The Simpsons
, DR Movie
& MOI Animation
, subsidiaries of Madhouse
, Hanho Heung-Up
, Sunwoo Entertainment
and JM Animation
Aside from Ren & Stimpy, the company's work includes:
- 3 South (Yearim Productions also worked on the series)
- Adventure Time (With Saerom)
- The Angry Beavers
- Baby BluesList
- Baby Looney Tunes
- Beavis And Butthead (including the 2011 revival)
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- Brandy & Mr. Whiskers (season 2 only)
- Camp Lazlo
- ChalkZone (Season one only with Galaxy Digimation. Sunwoo Entertainment, Wang Film Productions, Toonzone Entertainment, and Yeson Animation Studios took over in season two)
- Clone High
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- Cow and Chicken
- The Critic
- Daria (Season two only; Plus One Animation handled seasons 1 and 3-5)
- Danny Phantom
- Dexter's Laboratory (with Fil-Cartoons)
- Dilbert - 11 episodes List . AKOM and Yeson Entertainment handled the rest.
- Drawn Together
- Eek The Cat (The Klutter segments)
- Family Guy - Did eight episodes of season Two (production order) List They also produced the animation for the Brian/Stewie sequence in the 59th Emmy Awards.
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest (alongside Wang, Hanho Heung-Up, A. Film, Available Light Productions, Saerom, and Creator/Luk-Film; among others)
- The Flintstones: On the Rocks
- Good Vibes
- Gravity Falls
- Happily Ever After Fairy Tales For Every Child
- Harold and the Purple Crayon (animated adaption)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law (episodes 2-9; the series switched to Flash afterwards)
- Jackie Chan Adventures
- Johnny Bravo (Season 1 only, along with Sunwoo Entertainment)
- Kim Possible (Many early episodes and series finale)
- King of the Hill (seasons 1-3 and 5 only)
- The Legend of Tarzan
- The Life and Times of Juniper Lee
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series
- The Looney Tunes Show
- Mad TV (the Spy vs. Spy segments)
- The Maxx (with Pacific Ocean Post)
- The Mighty B!
- My Life as a Teenage Robot
- The Oblongs - Six episodes List . AKOM handled the rest.
- Phineas and Ferb
- The Pink Panther 2 - Opening title sequence with effects/titling firm Imaginary Forces.
- Pinky and the Brain (other episodes handled by Wang Film Productions and AKOM, and TMS for the Christmas Special)
- The Powerpuff Girls (Sans pilot)
- Recess: School's Out (along with DisneyToon Studios)
- RoboCop 3 ("Johnny Rehab" commercial animation; film with Tippett Studio, Visual Concept Engineering and Pacific Data Images)
- Rocko's Modern Life (season 3's "Fatal Contraption" and all of season 4)
- Samurai Jack
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (Season 2's "Night the Clown Cried" two-parter only)
- Sheep in the Big City (minus first episode, which was animated domestically and digitally inked/painted by Cha-Pow)
- The Simpsons - Joined during the fourth season, Also worked on the movie.
- Sit Down, Shut Up
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Star Wars: Clone Wars - Note how there's no "The" in the name.
- Steven Universe
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Timon & Pumbaa
- Tom and Jerry Tales (some later Season 2 episodes)
- The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
- Uncle Grandpa
- What A Cartoon! Show (two shorts: "Buy One, Get One Free" and "Home Sweet Home")
- Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?
Tropes associated with this company:
- Animation Bump: Largely due to their CG. Making them one of the better received overseas companies.
- Conspicuous CG: a reoccurring thing with them and is present for most of their shows but incredibly noticable in The Simpsons Movie and Sym-Bionic Titan. However, they are also capable of doing this incredibly well. Scott Vanzo, a relative of Gregg, is the CG supervisor of Futurama.
- Deranged Animation: Some of the shows they've worked on (especially Ren & Stimpy and The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat)
- Limited Animation: In some of their work for Hanna Barbera/Cartoon Network.
- Medium Blending: Hand-drawn animation and CGI (Either by themselves or, in the case of one Simpsons Halloween special, with Pacific Data Images providing the latter).
- Non-Indicative Name: Their animation is really anything but "Rough Draft."
- Off Model: Ren & Stimpy aside, even these guys are not immune on a few occasions, having exhibited this in several episodes of SpongeBob in their first season a lot.
- Production Posse: Cartoon Network Studios uses Rough Draft a lot.