Creator: Wang Film Productions
Wang Film Productions:
Serving practically everyone under the face of the sun since 1978.
Wang Film Productions (formerly known as Cuckoo's Nest Studio) is a Taiwanese studio founded in 1978 by former Hanna-Barbera
employee James Wang as a means for the company to outsource their animation to (when the technique was still relatively unheard of at the time). Since its founding, Wang has worked with and/or for several companies like Warner Bros.
, Film Roman
, Kennedy Cartoons
, Toon City
and Studio Pierrot
(among others). Through them, they have done animation for shows and movies made in the North America, Europe and Asia.
Their main claim to fame, though, is being used by a large number of shows. The Other Wiki
, in fact, has a list of their works about a mile long
. The works featured below are just scraping the surface
Wang also owns a CG company (creatively named CGCG
), established in 1988note
with studios in both Taiwan and Japan. Like Wang, the company's not only done CG work on their productions, but they've also done All-CGI Cartoon
work on their own (and likewise being used by everyone; including Xebec
, Square Enix
, Lucasfilm, Toei and the above-mentioned Nelvana, Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal). In addition, Hong Ying
is generally considered an offshoot, having started out getting extra Wang work.
The company also has Indonesia, Thailand and Chinese satellite studios.note
Recently, some long-time employees of Wang, such as Bunis Yang and Vincent Liu, have split off and started their own studio, BV Animation Studio.
Compare (and contrast) AKOM
, TMS Entertainment
, Toei Animation
, Sunwoo Entertainment
, Dong Woo Animation
, Synergy Animation
, Hanho Heung-Up
, Rough Draft Studios
and the aforementioned Toon City. Their partners for many of the shows listed below.
Side note - the amount of work both Wang and CGCG did is staggering. The following three folders consist of an (almost) complete filmography between them.
open/close all folders
Shows and TV Specials
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series [Wang] (12 episodes soloList and additional animation for 13 of Toon City's episodes.)
- Aladdin: The Series [Wang] (TV series only; 14 episodes) List
- American Dragon Jake Long [Wang]
- Bonkers [Wang] (4 episodes) List
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command [Wang] (10 episodes) List
- Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers [Wang] (16 episodes) List
- Darkwing Duck [Wang] (3 episodes) List
- Dave the Barbarian [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- DuckTales [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (Late season 1; All of seasons 2 & 3)
- The Emperor's New School [Wang]
- Fillmore! [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest, Hong Guang] (Wang/Cuckoo's Nest did almost all of season 1 and one episode of season 2; Hong Guang did most of season 2)
- Gargoyles [Wang, Thai Wang] (2 episodes) List
- Goof Troop [Wang, Thai Wang] (9 episodesList ; also provided ink & paint for four Kennedy episodes List and twoList for Walt Disney Animation France)
- Hercules: The Series [Wang, Thai Wang]
- Jungle Cubs (all of season 2) [Wang, Thai Wang]
- The Legend of Tarzan [Wang, Hong Guang] (12 episodes)List
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (numerous episodes; as well as Leroy & Stitch)
- The Little Mermaid [Wang] (four season 2 episodesList and all of season 3)
- Marsupilami [Wang]
- The Mighty Ducks [Wang] (2 episodes)List
- The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh [Wang] (Later episodes)
- Winnie the Pooh: Boo To You Too! [Thai Wang]
- Phineas and Ferb [Wang] (several episodes, the Christmas special and Mission Marvel. The latter two with Synergy)
- Quack Pack [Wang, Thai Wang] (3 episodes soloList and two episodes with Toon CityList )
- The Replacements [Wang]
- TaleSpin (8 episodes) [Wang] List
- Teacher's Pet (the series) [Wang]
- Timon & Pumbaa [Wang, Thai Wang] List of Wang episodes
- The Weekenders [Wang]
- W.I.T.C.H. [Wang] (First season with Hong Ying, replaced by Dong Woo in the second)
- Ace Ventura [Wang] (animated series; Hong Ying also worked on the show)
- All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series [Thai Wang]
- Around the World with Willy Fog [Wang] (1990 series)
- Back to the Future [Wang]
- Beetlejuice [Wang]
- Benjamin Blümchen [Wang/Hong Guang]
- Bibi Blocksberg [Wang]
- Bobby's World [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Care Bears (Nelvana TV series) [Wang]
- Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-Lot [Hong Guang]
- Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue [Wang]
- ChalkZone [Wang] (Second season onward, along with Rough Draft Studios, Galaxy Digimation, Toonzone Entertainment, Sunwoo Entertainment, and Yeson Entertainment.)
- Chucklewood Critters [PT Asiana Wang] (season 2 only, replacing Animasia)
- Clifford the Big Red Dog (1980s specials) [Wang]
- The Comic Strip [Wang]
- The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures [Wang]
- David The Gnome [Wang]
- Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds (1990 series) [Wang]
- Donkey Kong Country [Hong Guang] (Second season, producers only, animation by CGCG)
- Eek The Cat [Wang]
- The Fairytaler [Wang]
- Fantastic Four [Wang] (First season)
- Fievel's American Tails [Wang] (with Bardel Entertainment)
- Garfield and Friends [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Generation O! [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Happily Ever After Fairy Tales For Every Child [Wang] (season 1 only)
- Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (Uncredited)
- Hey Arnold! [Wang] (Some episodes in season two; replaced by Saerom)
- Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling [Wang] (with Hanho and Studio Shaft)
- Inspector Gadget [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (12 episodes in the first seasonList ; with TMS, AIC, Ajia-Do, Oh Production & an uncredited Toeinote , as Cuckoo's Nest. Was also a co-producer.)
- Kidd Video [Cuckoo's Nest] (Season One)
- The Land Before Time (with Toon City)
- Lazer Tag Academy [Wang]
- The Little Lulu Show [Wang] (with AKOM)
- Littlest Pet Shop (1995) [Wang] (with AKOM and KK C&D Asia)
- The Mask [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (First season only; replaced by Fil-Cartoons, Dai Won, PASI, Plus One, and New Vision International)
- Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Mother Goose and Grimm (the series) [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- My Little Pony G3 [Wang]
- My Scene Goes Hollywood [Wang] (with Prana Studios)
- Mythic Warriors [Hong Guang]
- New Kids on the Block [Wang]
- The New Adventures of Beany And Cecil [Wang]
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan [Wang]
- Paddington Bear (1997) [Hong Guang]
- Peanuts [Wang] (Two specials - "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown" and "You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown!")
- Peter Pan & the Pirates [Wang] (Two episodesList )
- The Pink Panther [Wang] (1993 series)
- Random Cartoons [Wang] (Multiple shorts)
- The Real Ghostbusters [Wang] ("Slimer" side season; other studios to work on the series include:list )
- The Ren & Stimpy Show [Wang] ("Lair of the Lummox", "Cheesefist" bumper, and "It's a Dog's Life/Egg Yolkeo" only)
- Rescue Heroes [Hong Guang] (originally, replaced by AKOM)
- Rugrats [Wang] (First season only, also helped on the pilot episode; credited as Cuckoo's Nest in the latter)
- Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat [Wang]
- Star Wars: Ewoks [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Street Sharks [Wang] (season 2 only)
- Stripperella [Wang] (With Mook DLE and Sunmin, three episodes List )
- Tales from the Crypt Keeper [Wang] (ABC Seasons; Andre Lee Productions replaced them for the final season)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Wang] (uncredited)
- Thundercats [Wang] (uncredited)note
- Transformers: Go-Bots [Wang]
- The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat [Wang]
- Ulysses 31 [Wang] (for TMS, uncredited)note
- What's New, Scooby-Doo? [Wang] (season 1 and Christmas Special)
- Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa [Wang] (season 2 only, replacing A.D. Productions)
- Winx Club [Wang, Hong Guang] (season 1)
- Zazoo U [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- All Dogs Go to Heaven II [Wang] (Additional Animation)
- Bartok the Magnificent (unconfirmed. Bunis Yang's filmography note lists that he worked on the movie, but he lists the year as 1994, which is three years before it, or Anastasia, the film it spun off from, were actually released. And the film credits don't list Wang. Can somebody confirm?)
- Bebe's Kids [Wang]
- The BIONICLE movies [Wang; CGCG] (Co-producers for the original trilogy, animation for all films)
- The Brave Little Toaster [Wang]
- The Care Bears Movie [Wang] (With Hanho)
- Go-Bots: Battle of The Rock Lords [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Devilman [CGCG] (Visual Effects for the Live-Action Adaptation
- Doraemon Robot Wars [Wang]
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest [Wang] (alongside Rough Draft, Hanho, Saerom, A. Film, Available Light Productions, and Luk-Film (Among others), and the only studio from the original kept around for Ferngully 2)
- Heavy Metal 2000 [Thai Wang] (Backgrounds, In-Between Animation)
- How to Hook Up Your Home Theater [Wang] (Special Thanks)
- Jetsons: The Movie [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (Inbetween animation, the animation it self (as well as the key animation) is done by Hanna Babera themselves, ink & paint by Fil-Cartoons)
- Joseph King Of Dreams [Wang]
- The Land Before Time [Wang] (Movies VII-XII)
- Leroy & Stitch [Wang]
- The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea [Wang]
- The Little Troll Prince [Wang]
- Mulan 2 [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest] (additional animation services)
- Once Upon a Forest [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- The Pagemaster [Wang] (Animated portion only; movie done with Pacific Title, Cinesite, 4-Ward Productions, Perpetual Motion Pictures and others).
- Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension [Wang] (With Synergy and Hong Ying)
- Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew [CGCG] (Additional CG animation)
- Pound Puppies: The Legend of Big Paw [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- Rebuild of Evangelion [CGCG] (CGI assistance for You Can (Not) Advance and You Can (Not) Redo)
- Return to Neverland [Wang] (with Disney's Australian and Canadian units)
- Resident Evil: Degeneration [CGCG] (Production Cooperation)
- Rover Dangerfield [Wang] (With Hanho, Available Light and Rhythm & Hues)
- Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School [Wang/Cuckoo's Nest]
- The Thief and the Cobbler [Wang/Thai Wang]- Provided the Ink & Paint and camera services for the final product. Thus not quite shouldering the weight that the other studios involved do. But the company is still a guilty party in all of this, especially as all of the original drawings sent to the Thai studio were destroyed.
- TRON [Cuckoo's Nest]- Provided more than three quarters of the (non-CG) effects worknote . This also served as their first collaboration with Disney.
- Rankin/Bass Productions' The Wind in the Willows [Cuckoo's Nest]
- YuYu Hakusho: Poltergeist Report [Wang] (Finish & In-Between Animation. As Wang Films)
- Zu Warriors of The Magic Mountain [Wang] (With Visual Concept Engineering)
All credits for CGCG unless noted
Tropes Associated with Wang and CGCG include
- All-CGI Cartoon: The Bionicle films, Fanboy and Chum Chum, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Most, if not all of CGCG's output actually.
- Animation Bump: Fairly often, particularly in The Brave Little Toaster and Animaniacs.
- Animesque: Some of their works (W.I.T.C.H. and Winx Club, mostly). The fact that they worked on the sequel series to both Willy Fog & Dogtanian, Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie, three Final Fantasy games and Dino Breaker (the latter three through CGCG) among others, helps.
- Art Shift: CGCG's episodes of the 2012 Ninja Turtles series are a little more... atmospheric, for lack of a better term. The saturation in them also seem to be cranked up a bit too compared to the other episodes.
- Conspicuous CG: The Land Before Time sequels take this to levels beyond our understanding.
- The Dark Age of Animation: Established during this period.
- Deranged Animation: There's several shows containing this, but The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat and Courage the Cowardly Dog are the best examples.
- I Have Many Names: As mentioned at the top of the page.
- International Co Production: Inspector Gadget, Transformers: Go-Bots The Bionicle films, The Brave Little Toaster and most of their Hanna-Barbara work.
- Limited Animation: Most of their Hanna-Barbera projects, which as a side-effect, was carried over to the majority of their other work from the 1980s. They got better during the 90s.
- No Flow in CGI: Played straight often in CGCG's works.
- Medium Blending: Featured in The Land Before Time sequels they did. Also present in TRON, Courage, Winx Club, The Pagemaster, Ferngully, The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat, Bionicle 3 (Albeit as an effects screw-up), Dino Breaker, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (not directly though), Rebuild of Evangelion and Phineas and Ferb (occasionally).
- Motion Capture: Xcalibur. Some scenes in Bionicle: The Legend Reborn also contain this.
- Off Model: The less talked about the Pound Puppies movie, the better. This also occurs in many of their other projects (usually with Ink & Paint), including a surprisingly inconsistent first season of Tiny Toon Adventures (although for the other two seasons, It Got Better). This also happened in all of their 101 Dalmatians: The Series episodes, though they got better as the show went on.
- Parodied in the Garfield & Friends segment "Mistakes Will Happen".
- Production Posse: Disney and Hanna-Barbera has used the company heavily since the 1980s.
- To put this into perspective: The only Disney animated series where Wang wasn't utilized as an overseas studio have been: The Wuzzles, Adventures Of The Gummi Bears, Pepper Ann, Doug, Recess, House of Mouse, Lloyd in Space, Mickey Mouse Works, The Proud Family, The Buzz on Maggie, Kim Possible, and some of their more recent stuff. Every other show has used them.
- The Renaissance Age of Animation: The vast majority of their work comes from this era.
- Shout-Out: To CGCG in The Legend Reborn in Matoran languagenote .
- Thick-Line Animation: The New Adventures of Beany and Cecil. They also went through a period of this during the TTA era (mainly season one). Their Ren and Stimpy work tended to suffer from this as well.
- Tron Lines: TRON, obviously.
- Troubled Production: The New Kids on the Block cartoon and Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling.