Western Animation: Popeye And Son
A spinoff TV series of Popeye that ran in 1987; it consisted of 26 episodes and was produced by Hanna-Barbera.Popeye and Olive finally marry and have a son. He gets named Popeye Jr. or simply Junior. Popeye's longtime archenemy Bluto also marries and has a son named Tank. Just like their fathers, Junior and Tank become major rivals. Most of the other Popeye cast like Wimpy and Eugene the Jeep show up too.Together, Popeye and family had many adventures during the show's run. Just like his father, Junior could eat spinach (which he hated) and would gain superhuman strength. However due to network standards and practices of the era, don't expect to see any brawling like that of the classic Popeye cartoons.
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
- Aerith and Bob: Junior, Dee Dee, Polly, Woody...and Bluto's son, Tank. Not exactly weird, but still an unusual name compared to the more mundane examples.
- Crippling the Competition: Played with in "Bluto's Wave Pool". Tank and his gang sabotage the beach so that everyone would come to Bluto's water park.
- The Eighties
- Men Can't Keep House: One episode deals with Olive Oyl being away while having Popeye and Junior to keep an eye on their home. The two of them use spinach to completely clean up the house.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Averted in sharp contrast to the original Popeye cartoons. Even when Popeye or his son consumed spinach, you wouldn't see them punching out Bluto or Tank due to network standards & practices.
- Off Model
- Spin-Offspring: The whole premise of the show.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The only Popeye cast member not in this show is Swee'Pea. Justified as Junior takes over his role.