A production company founded by the alumni of the Sunrise Cowboy Bebop
production team, Studio Bones
produces a wide range of different anime genres. BONES productions are noted for their consistent, high quality animation and character designs, specializing in crazy, exaggerated acting.
See also TMS Entertainment
, another studio that is known for consistent, high quality animation and character designs and crazy and exaggerated acting.
Tropes that recur frequently in BONES works are:
- Animation Bump: Like TMS, it's there on so many levels.
- Conspicuous CG: Appears every now and again.
- Author Appeal: An older male transvestite has appeared in Cowboy Bebop, Wolfs Rain, Darker Than Black, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and has an expanded role in the latter. Kurau Phantom Memory is about two women who live like a couple. Ouran High School Host Club is about a girl who dresses up as a boy.
- Everything's Better with Rainbows: Eureka Seven Xam'd: Lost Memories, and Star Driver among others, play this straight. Rainbows are used as symbols a lot, as well as other things. It's frequently used in explosions and blasts of energy.
- Hey, It's That Guy!/Names to Know in Anime: Co-founder Hiroshi Osaka first worked at Anime R.
- Off Model: Due to their exaggerated animation, it can happen both deliberately and unintentionally.
- Also like most Japanese studios, bad outsourcing as well.
- Production Posse: Even outside of the actual studio employees, contributors to one Bones show typically show up again at some point. Perhaps most notably, Yoko Kanno, despite being an independent composer, has scored a sizable chunk of their shows.
- Scenery Porn: To the point that they might actually rival Hayao Miyazaki films every now and then.