open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet somehow manages a Beach Episode that subverts this, where Shugo suddenly realizes that Ouka, being a Cool Big Sis, should naturally appear in the slinkiest swimsuit of any of the girls — until she shows up in wolf shape (which, granted, means she's technically naked).
- In Dragon Ball Z Gohan wears a helmet as part of his Saiyaman costume. When he enters the annual fighting tournament as Saiyaman, he replaces it with a cloth and sunglasses because armor isn't allowed. In the 13th movie when Gohan dresses as Saiyaman, he still isn't wearing his helmet.
- Franco-Belgian comic character Spirou kept his hotel groom outfit for a very long time of the series, even if he had become a reporter and had no reasons to still wear it.
- Donald Duck still wears the sailor suit. He debuted as a young duck in the thirties (when this style was humorously outdated). Some comics do make him an actual sailor, though strangely enough not the Barks/Don Rosa canon. He even wore it in a 1941 short when he was Drafted into the Army. It was replaced with an army uniform, but still looks really bizarre.
- In the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio plays and the novels, television series, movie, comic books, and video games based on them, Arthur Dent is rushed out of his house one morning in his dressing gown (what Americans would call a bathrobe and slippers) and doesn't change out of them for years, despite (eventually) having ample opportunity to do so.
- AC/DC's Angus Young originally became a member of the band while he was still in high school, and so wore a school uniform — his real one — on stage. Decades later, and he still has his distinctive schoolboy look with full uniform.
- Street Fighter
- Sakura Kasugano, pictured above, takes it perhaps too literally. In the Sakura Ganbaru manga, she justified fighting in her school uniform as being ready to fight at any time. Thusly, being a student, she wanted to be ready to fight in clothes she spent much of her day wearing. By Street Fighter IV, Sakura has since graduated, but as you can see still wears the uniform to fight (she even considers it her proper sparring attire). However, at the end of said manga she wears a different uniform — because she's a PE teacher now. And since it's an alternate costume for her in IV, this is evidently the case there as well, as seen by her ending in SSFIV.
- Cody received an odd form of this by fan demand. When brought back for Super Street Fighter IV, the dev team planned on using his original Final Fight look, but because his prison jumpsuit from Alpha 3 (and by proxy, his personality shift) had become emblematic of Cody by that point, the prison clothes made it in, with an updated version of his classic attire included as DLC. His look in Streetwise seems to backtrack on this as Cody, having served his sentence, decides to wear an orange prison jacket over his Final Fight white T-shirt and jeans by his own volition.
- In the opening of Chuck Rock, Chuck's Loin Cloth is in the wash, so he puts on some leaves instead. He's still wearing those leaves in the sequel, which takes place years later.
- In Raidou Kuzunoha VS The Soulless Army Raidou Kuzunoha is 17 and was, until his current apprenticeship/cover, a student, hence his school uniform. Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon may or may not take place 3 years latter (A character that loves to break the fourth wall says you haven't met for 3 years and the games have a release gap of 3 years and the characters all act like noticeable time has passed), but Raidou still wears the uniform.
- While the fact that most of the characters in Persona 4: Arena wear school uniforms are odd for other reasons, The Hero Yu Narukami wears his school outfit from the first game, despite the fact that he has since transferred schools.
- BlazBlue: Jin Kisaragi continues wearing his NOL uniform throughout the series, even though he defected from that organization at the end of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift. Contrast with Noel Vermilion, who defected at the same time and switched to civilian clothes for the rest of the series.