Reluctant Fanservice Girl
ridiculously sexy female character who is always dressed in skimpy outfits, they may choose to give a reason for this character to dress and behave the way she does. Maybe she's The Vamp, and is using it as a means to get what she wants from men, or maybe she's the Innocent Fanservice Girl, who simply doesn't know any better, or the Shameless Fanservice Girl who doesn't care. And then there's this girl. She would prefer to dress modestly, and really doesn't like being ogled by men, but, for some reason, the universe conspires to have her dress in skimpy outfits or end up naked. Her clothes may get ripped in combat or stolen by someone, she may be pressured into it by her friends, she may have to provide a sexy distraction to get past the idiot guards, the villain may have kidnapped her, had his servants bathe her and forced her to wear a metal bikini... any excuse will do, but whatever the reason, she will always be unhappy about it. Often played for laughs as a form of Butt Monkey-ness, although serious variants are also possible. After all, much of the humour of the situation depends on whether you think women being unwillingly stripped down carries a host of Unfortunate Implications, or is as harmless as any other fictional kink. If the author wishes to make a point about gender issues, this kind of Fanservice will often be toned down or Deconstructed. A frequent consequence of the Third Law of Gender Bending. This sort of thing may also happen to the Mr. Fanservice. Contrast the Token Wholesome, who does get to stay modest.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Yaoi, the Uke sometimes take this role in relation to the Seme. And the audience.
- The condition for Ringo's jumping power in Banana no Nana is that she has to wear a miniskirt that shows off her panties.
- Kallen from Code Geass has fallen into some precarious clothing and/or pose situations, to the point where part of the fanbase considers her nothing more than fanservice.
- In Dorothy of Oz, Mara Shin's Magical Girl transformation strips off her clothes to reform them into the Witch's suit. Unfortunately for Mara, someone always walks in just as the magic takes her clothes off. In the fifth volume, she trips and falls on top of one of her comrades while in the middle of her transformation.
- Bulma takes a turn of this in the original Dragon Ball In the very first story arc, her clothing becomes damaged and, stuck out in the desert, the only piece of clothing nearby is a Playboy bunny costume. She hates wearing it, but inexplicably wears the bunny ears with it until she can replace it with some nearly-as-revealing local attire.
- In the Hentai Dragon Pink, Pink is constantly being humiliated in this way.
- Fairy Tail
Natsu: Gray, is your stripping habit contagious?
- Gray is a male example. His training to resist the cold left him with a habit of stripping down to his boxers without realising it, and he's always embarrassed to find out he's half-naked.
- Another example is Lucy, whose clothing always manages to rip just enough to cover the naughty bits. She's understandably not very happy about it.
- This culminates in an amusing scene in the movie where Lucy runs out of the shower without realizing that her towel didn't quite catch and ends up in front of the now wide-eyed Gray and Natsu, prompting the following exchange:
Gray: Thank you stripping habit!
- Mikuru Asahina from Haruhi Suzumiya. Haruhi is constantly trying to invoke tropes, and uses Mikuru for her appeal and tries to make her the Innocent Fanservice Girl, much to Mikuru's despair. While she eventually accepts her Meido outfit, she is still struggling to accept it when Haruhi tries to put more revealing outfits on her.
- Having Ritsuko Takahashi from Hell Teacher Nube either naked, half-naked or with quite the Clothing Damage is kind of a Running Gag in the series. It goes into Not Funny Anymore when she's stripped naked and then almost murdered by a reluctant and mentally broken Yukime.
- Infinite Stratos: Charlotte Dunois often mentions not minding nudity around Ichika, but would prefer that he ask first, yet still chides him for perversion.
- Ryuko from Kill la Kill, in the first few episodes at least, is extremely embarrassed about how Stripperific her Kamui is. This actually turns into a plot point: because she's so ashamed of its skimpiness, she's unable to harness its true potential until a (totally bizarre) Rousing Speech from Mako.
- Mio Akiyama from K-On!. She's been forced into her share of costumes, not to mention tripping over a cord and landing in a panty-exposing position during the band's first performance in front of the whole school.
- In Love Hina Naru Narusegawa often ends up in embarrassing situations with Keitaro. To the point that the author himself, in the extra, apologizes for having drawn her naked so often.
- A dozen examples could be found from Mahou Sensei Negima! alone.
- Takane D. Goodman is the most notorious. Takane is in the habit of using magically-generated clothing instead of actual clothing, and so her outfits tend to vanish completely whenever she's defeated in battle... and she's not exactly the most powerful side-character. The only thing worse than the way this traumatizes her is the way she eventually copes with it: she demands that Negi fight her in a serious duel, and insists that the duel only end with him either agreeing to go out with her or blasting her clothes away once again.
- This is also known to happen to Asuna. Early incidents involved Negi's wind magic activating by accident, which blew off all Asuna's clothes without causing her any harm. Negi's wind magic accidentally activating has done that to many girls, not just Asuna. The fact that his attempt to erase her memory also resulted in nothing more than clothing loss for Asuna, however, was foreshadowing of Asuna's magic cancel abilities. And later, her magic canceling abilities became so strong that she kept her clothes on when Negi's infamous strip-sneeze came around.
- This is the entire concept of Maicchingu Machiko Sensei. The title character continually finds herself naked due to the actions of her perverted students, the occassional non-human, or the nature of the universe itself.
- Elizabeth of the series The Seven Deadly Sins she always end up being in a fanservice against her will but doesn't seem to fully mind it.
- The Magical Girl outfit in Oku-sama wa Mahou Shoujo is designed for your standard, young girl. Ureshiko, at 26, has a fully adult body, and she's not quite comfortable when people point out how it looks on her.
- Nico Robin from One Piece is a meta example: She doesn't seem to mind wearing Absolute Cleavage and other skimpy clothes in-universe, but one fan pointed out that he found it weird that she wouldn't dress more modestly with the kind of personality she has (not only modest, but also relatively sophisticated and mature). Oda replied that indeed, a women with Robin's personality wouldn't realistically want to dress like that, but since it is a way to provide Fanservice, he will continue drawing her wearing those kinds of clothes.
- In the (banned) Pokémon episode "Beauty and the Beach", Misty declares that parading in front of strangers in a bikini is "Totally embarassing and degrading... but we need the money."
- Rune Soldier Louie: Of the main female cast members, it would be the priestess.
Melissa: (thinking) "OH MY GOD!! If this is what he means when he says "costume", I don't want to know what he means when he says "dance"!"
- When Headmistress Jenny jokes that Melissa's duty may require her to let Louie have his way with her, Melissa imagines him as an ogre tearing her clothes off; complete with a Big "NO!"
- While they're out sailing in episode 15, Louie's fishing hook snag's the top of her bikini. So when he casts the line, it pulls her across the deck and tears off her top, ending with her being flush against his back. Predictably, she has a screaming fit and demands her top back (at 6:48-7:12).
- And in episode 21, she volunteers to cover for Merrill, while she was out sick, not knowing that one of her jobs was dancing in a burlesque show. So Melissa is equally horrified and mortified when she sees the "costume" she has to wear.
- In Sumomomo Momomo Sanae fighting style revolves around an outfit which the more pieces of the outfit one removes the more power she gets, which is its most powerful when she is wearing only the boots while fully clothed it is still very Stripperiffic. She really doesn't like wearing it.
- Karina "Blue Rose" Lyle in Tiger & Bunny is contractually obligated to go crime fighting in a Stripperiffic outfit, despite how impractical and dangerous it is. Mainly because her sponsors market her largely on sex appeal. Since she's a deconstruction of Ms. Fanservice, poor Karina is shown to be extremely embarrassed — but she can't do anything, since it's either that or losing her fans and her sponsors.
- To Love-Ru:
- Most girls are involved in Rito's accidents, but the best example is Yui Kotegawa. Almost every encounter with Rito usually ends up with her embarrassed, naked or groped (sometimes all three combined).
- Yami is continuously a victim of Rito's pattern of accidentally falling and groping girls (which earns Yami's wrath more than a few times). Inverted with her "Darkness" form.
- In episode 22 of the first anime, both Yui and Haruna (pictured) are forced to wear skimpy outfits for the animal cafe cosplays.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!: In the virtual world mini-arc, Joey is forced to wear the garb of a legendary warrior: a one-shouldered "barbarian" style garment cut very short. It's even skimpier than Mai' costume — although she's extremely comfortable in hers and Joey tries to avoid coming out in his.
- The entire point of Empowered, where the titular heroine's super-suit seems to be perversely designed to leave her as exposed as possible and tear to shreds at the drop of a hat. This has not helped her self-esteem any.
- Played with with the New 52 Power Girl, seeing as she's always getting into situations where she might be invulnerable, but her costume clearly isn't. It ends up getting torn pretty much in every episode, to her dismay. Then when (Earth-1) Supergirl's Sanctuary gave her the old Power Girl costume (complete with infamous boob window), presumably now invulnerable like Supergirl's, as a replacement, she seemed quite happy with it. Clearly it's not the style of costume that's the problem, just she'd rather have one that stayed intact.
- DC villain Plastique became this at the end of her first appearance when Firestorm used his powers to de-atomize her clothes, leaving her completely naked and sexually humiliated in public while he took away the bombs that were attached to her suit.
- Marvel X-Men heroine Kitty Pryde suffered this during Joss Whedon's run when her phasing power unexpectedly kicked in when she was having sex with Colossus, causing her to phase through the bed and fell all the way down into one of the lower rooms of the Mansion (with students everywhere) and, being completely naked, she had to grab the nearest couch sheet available to wrap around herself as she ran back upstairs.
- The normally very knowing and Shameless Fanservice Girl that is Selina Kyle, AKA: Catwoman, became this briefly in Catwoman: When In Rome when she made the mistake of going to bed naked and then a bomb went off in her apartment the next morning, forcing her to jump out of her window completely naked. She was not happy about landing a pool completely naked in broad daylight - and while this wasn't the only scene in the story that involved her being more exposed than she would have liked it was by far the most sexually humiliating for her.
- Sally Forth from the U.S. Armed Forces newspaper (not the one seen in civilian Newspaper Comics sections).
- Jane from the Daily Mirror strip of the same name. An urban legend claims that during World War II, when a rumor went out that D-Day would coincide with Jane appearing fully naked for the first time, army brass specifically asked the artist to make it so.
- On VE Day, a patriotic Jane showed up in uniform to congratulate the troops, and they tore all her clothes off in search of souvenirs.
Films — Live-Action
- Babs in her final scene in Animal House.
- James Bond
- A few of the Bond girls across the franchise actually fall into this, but most tend to be very knowing and savvy about their sex appeal. Interestingly, Plenty O'Toole goes from being a rather Shameless Fanservice Girl to a very reluctant one once she gets caught stripped down to her panties by the "Pervert's Convention" in Diamonds Are Forever.
- In The Living Daylights, Bond forces a lady to become this in order to surprise and distract the incoming KGB agent.
- In "The Man With The Golden Gun" Mary Goodnight, while being held prisoner on his private island by Scaramanga, is forbidden any clothes other than a bikini; Scaramanga's excuse is that he wants to make sure she has no weapons concealed.
- Hot Lips in M*A*S*H.
- Leia in Return of the Jedi where she is forced to wear a skimpy slavegirl costume.
- Sandy in Saving Silverman has been in training to be a nun and wears a knee-length habit. When she needs a change of clothing, the only outfit available is a set of stripper clothes.
- Elena becomes this when Zorro gives her a Shameful Strip in The Mask of Zorro.
- Angel in X-Men: First Class—although she says that she's used to men staring at her without clothes on and not so used to them staring at her with clothes on.
- The German/Polish short film Diabelska edukacja (AKA: The Devil And The Virgin and A Devilish Education) features Gosla (or Gosia, played by the lovely Renata Dancewicz), a beautiful young virgin who finds herself the object of affection to Satan himself - who sees her cheerfully frolicking about completely naked when she bathes outside, however her gleeful nudity immediately turns to humiliated horror when she realizes someone is watching her and, covering herself as best she can, runs away. Happens again later when Satan seduces her for the first time - he persuades her to take off her clothes in a forest, then teases her by saying someone else is watching, causing her to cover herself again in shame, until he lets her know he was joking, and then she relaxes.
- Mercy Thompson is frequently naked, as when she changes shape, her clothes don't come with her. Played with, in that by itself she doesn't mind being nude at all. It's only that people make assumptions when she shows no qualms getting naked around them, and she wants to avoid such unnecessary assumptions.
- Amelia Windrose from Orphans of Chaos, constantly. A climactic scene in the third book is enacted with her naked the entire time, and a villain standing between her and the only towel. It's... much more serious than it sounds.
- All three of the Charmed sisters, to the point where Phoebe Lampshades it. When Chris proposes a plan (which is in fact put into action) that calls for Piper to wear a Chainmail Bikini, Phoebe says that Piper's "gonna kill you...because she hates wearing these costumes as much as we do." Paige nods her agreement with the sentiment...and then Chris reveals that he also needs for Phoebe and Paige to dress similarly. (Of course, Phoebe and Paige have little problem with voluntarily wearing a revealing outfit as part of their normal dress...but that is a different thing from having some magical accidents turn them into various forms of Fetish Fuel.)
- Susan in Desperate Housewives often ended up in this kind of situation.
- Justified in Primeval: Abby wears minimal clothing in her flat because she's deliberately keeping the temperature above 30 Celsius. Why? Well, she happens to be caring for a prehistoric reptile.
- Chloe Sullivan from Smallville has got into this once in a while.
- Widespread, and applied to both genders, in Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Slaves are often forced to go partially or completely naked for the entertainment of their Roman masters either for erotic reasons, especially with household slaves and prostitutes, or simply because in some jobs, such as mining, they see no reason to provide them with clothes.
- Happened to both Xena and Gabrielle a few times on Xena: Warrior Princess, one of the most famous examples being The Bitter Suite where Ares gave Xena one epic Shameful Strip.
- The Princess in A Dance with Rogues is this, if she isn't played as a Shameless Fanservice Girl, since almost all of the module's female clothing is revealing and she's frequently put into situations that force her to infiltrate or sneak around naked, or lose her equipment in escape attempts. She can lampshade this by showing her exasperation with the ridiculously impractical design of the clothes and being annoyed at the lack of equipment in several quests.
- Natalie in Epic Battle Fantasy, after using her Kyun Limit Break, will usually comment on it afterward by saying, "Well, that was embarrassing", "I hope that's enough fanservice for a while", and "Okay, stop staring now."
- Olivia from Fire Emblem Awakening is a dancer who dresses rather skimpily... Yet she's also a Shrinking Violet who suffers from Stage Fright when off the battlefield and who refuses to wear a swimsuit in the Summer Scramble DLC stage. She explains it in some support conversations as not really thinking about it during battle, since she knows that her dances are necessary for letting other units move twice.
- Surprisingly, Tharja is one of these. In the same Summer Scramble DLC stage, she's given a skimpy swimsuit to wear and is not exactly pleased, and when Cordelia talks to her in said scene she gets very upset when Cordelia keeps bringing up her figure during their talk. Also, her usual portrait has her looking extremely awkward and using her spell book to cover herself (Contrasting with the also well-endowed Aversa, who very proudly flaunts her Absolute Cleavage) Like in Olivia's case, Tharja's super skimpy outfit is a necessity of sorts, since it's the average uniform for female Dark Mages, and it's implied that she underestimated its effect on those around her.
- The women in Real Girls Strip Poker react this way after the (presumably male) player has stripped them nude.
- In Star Ocean: The Second Story, Celine justifies that she can't wear more clothes otherwise it interferes with her magical abilities.
- Mikan Tsumiki in Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is sometimes an over-the-top parody of this, due to how she'll often end up in extremely embarrassing poses (though any Panty Shots she might be displaying will be conveniently censored in some way). However, she's also somewhat of a deconstruction since being the Reluctant Fanservice Girl only makes her already low self-esteem even lower, and yet she's painfully used to this being the only way she can get any sort of attention from people.
- Elly from The Word Weary is the only female character to have been featured in a state of undress in the comic, much to her disappointment.
- Marigold from Questionable Content becomes one after borrowing Faye's bikini.
- Both Peonie and Tiffany from Exiern are forced into this role, the universe just hates their clothing. Peonie does get increasingly irate about that as the strip goes on.
- In El Goonish Shive, Sarah is one in this sketchbook comic which doubles as a Brick Joke to the very first week of comics.
- The Nostalgia Critic. Although he's fine to give fanservice on his own, if he's the victim in other videos (like the Game Heroes promo where they kidnapped him or Spooning With Spoony II) then he'll take on this role.
- Grant Kirkhope was allegedly this when he was a guest on Game Grumps; according to him, the Grumps do their show naked, which, with everyone being The Unseen, took him by surprise and made him uncomfortable. When Jon mentions that he didn't have to join them in their nakedness, Grant responds that he'd be even MORE uncomfortable if he joined them clothed, but is still upset to "let his dingleberries out."
- Fluttershy ends up as one in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Green Isn't Your Color" after Rarity talks her into being a model for Photo Finish. She hates being a model but keeps at it because she doesn't want to disappoint her friend but ends up quitting at the end of the episode after Rarity finds out how much she hates doing it.
- Seen briefly in a movie that Homer and Marge watch on The Simpsons, "The Erotic Adventures of Hercules".
Girl: Hercules, the Cyclops tore off my clothes!
- Marge herself becomes this a few times, most notably in Natural Born Kissers where she winds up trapped outside completely naked after having sex with Homer at a miniature golf course. She is then forced to run all over town completely naked with the equally naked Homer by her side in the hopes of getting home before they get seen without their clothes. This does not end well for them.
- Lana from Archer loses her clothes on a few occasions, most notably when ISIS goes into space and they need a distractionnote and another time when Archer uses her bikini top as a slingshot.