Film: One For The Money
One for the Money is a 2012 comedy film starring Katherine Heigl, based upon the book by the same name by Janet Evanovich.Heigl plays Stephanie Plum, a born-and-bred Joisey girl who finds herself in financial straits after being fired from her job as manager of the lingerie department at Macy's. After being turned down for a variety of demeaning jobs, she blackmails her cousin Vinnie, a bail-bondsman, into letting her recover some of his bail-jumpers for him.Taking in small-time quarries for the money, Plum has her sights set on the $50,000 bounty for the capture of her ex-boyfriend, vice cop and murder suspect Joe Morelli. As she gathers evidence to track Morelli, she suspects he may not actually be guilty.
This film includes examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: Benito Ramirez's attack on Lula is far more violent in the book. He leaves her lying naked and battered on Stephanie's fire escape and she spends the remainder of the novel in a coma. In the movie, she is beaten and thrown out of a truck, and is released from the hospital shortly thereafter.
- Backhanded Compliment: Stephanie seems to be a magnet for them.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Stephanie and Morelli.
- Big Eater:
- Stephanie manages to stay thin and toned despite eating nothing but bad carbs and fat.
- Lula is also a big eater and, unlike Stephanie, has a body to reflect the fact.
- Bottomless Magazines: Stephanie fires a total of seven rounds from her five-shot revolver when she shoots the Big Bad at the end. She also fires far more than five shots without reloading when taking target practice at one point earlier in the film (although this could be due to editing).
- Bounty Hunter: A career path Stephanie takes up out of desperation, and isn't very good at. She gets better.
- California Doubling: The movie takes place in Trenton, New Jersey, but was filmed in Pittsburgh.
- The Casanova: Half the women in Jersey "sold [Morelli] a cannoli".
- Damsel in Distress: Surprisingly inverted, as Stephanie manages to knock a guy to the ground and handcuff him after he shoots Ranger, she pepper sprays Benito Ramirez while he's fighting Joe, allowing him to knock out Benito, and when Big Bad Jimmy Alpha has Stephanie and Joe cornered and is planning to kill them, Stephanie knocks him down and he shoots her in the ass, but it barely slows her down and she manages to grab a gun from her purse and promptly shoots Jimmy in the chest five times in a row.
- Deadpan Snarker: Connie Rossoli, Vinnie's office manager.
- Fanservice: Katherine Heigl in the shower, and later stripped down to her bra so Morelli can attach a wire.
- Hopeless Suitor: Bernie Kuntz.
- Kissing Cousins: Stephanie blackmailed her cousin Vinnie into giving her the job because he tried to make out with her at her wedding.
- Naked People Are Funny: One of Stephanie's quarries is her elderly neighbor who refuses to wear clothes...ever.
- Scenery Censor:
- Stephanie gets naked and handcuffed to a shower and is just barely covered by the shower curtain.
- An old man who likes to expose himself is covered by conveneniently placed objects, thank goodness.
- Shower of Awkward: When Morelli barges in on Stephanie in the shower. And later, when Ranger comes to unlock the handcuffs tethering her to the curtain rod.
- Supreme Chef: Morelli, who whips up an amazing omelet using only the leftovers in Stephanie's fridge.
- Took a Level in Badass: Stephanie isn't very impressive at the end of the movie, but is leaps and bounds ahead of where she started.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Stephanie, at least at first.