A Reluctant Index
Ugh, I hate doing this, but I have to.
Here's an index of characters doing things against their will for certain reasons.
Compare A Slave to the Index
, Help, Help, This Index Is Being Repressed!
. If it's stronger than reluctance it's Rebel Tropes
- A God I Am Not: Yes, I'm powerful, but that doesn't mean I'm that powerful
- Break His Heart to Save Him: It hurts to do it, but you must. It's for their own good.
- Don't Make Me Destroy You: Said as a warning in an attempt to spare another's life.
- Dislikes The New Guy: I'd rather not have this new guy around, but everyone else is on board.
- Fighting Your Friend: It always hurts to fight a friend, especially if they're your Best Friend.
- Forced into Evil: Doing evil because you were forced to, not because you wanted to.
- Forgiven, but Not Forgotten: Forgiving someone while being unwilling about it.
- Getting Smilies Painted on Your Soul: Being happy against your will.
- Gilligan Cut: A character says they're not going to do something and the next scene is them doing it, implying that they were forced or talked into doing it.
- Grudging Thank You: Reluctantly expressing gratitude to a character.
- Got Volunteered: I was forced to do something thanks to the other characters.
- Hesitant Sacrifice: I'd like to save everyone, I just don't want to die in the process.
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Romance could make things awkward between friends if it doesn't work out, so maybe it's best to leave things as they are.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Either reluctantly, or gracefully, accepting that the one you love loves someone else and stepping aside.
- Making The Choice For You: Having trouble deciding, but being forced to chose against your will.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: I would prefer to dress modestly, but somehow I always end up having to wear something Stripperiffic.
- Reluctant Gift: I don't want to give up this gift.
- Reluctant Mad Scientist: I don't want to make evil weapons, but I'm forced to.
- Reluctant Monster: I look scary but I'm actually nice.
- Reluctant Retiree: I don't want to retire, but I have to.
- Reluctant Ruler: Why am I a king when I don't want to be?
- Reluctant Warrior: I don't want to fight you, but I guess I have no choice.
- Resigned to the Call: I don't want to be the hero, but I'll do it anyway.
- Sadistic Choice: No matter which one you choose, someone's gonna suffer and not choosing isn't an option.
- Shoo the Dog: Sorry, Boy, I wanna, but... I can't take you with me.
- Shoot the Dog: I don't want to do something morally questionable, but there's no other option.
- Stop Worshipping Me: Who are these people and why did they construct a bloody church in my honor?!
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: I don't want to team up with you, but I have no choice.
- Unwilling Roboticisation: Being made a robot against your will.