Film: A Cinderella Story Once Upon A Song
The second sequel to A Cinderella Story. Katie (Lucy Hale of Pretty Little Liars) dreams of being a recording artist, but is continually thwarted by her cruel stepmother (Missi Pyle) and stepsister (Megan Park of The Secret Life of the American Teenager). When Katie falls hard for Luke (Freddie Stroma), the new boy at her Performing Arts school, she tries to get his attention with her singing. But when her stepsister takes credit for Katie's amazing voice and Luke falls for the wrong girl, Katie must learn to stand up for her dreams before her stepmother forces Katie to sing Luke into the arms of her wicked stepsister.
This film provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Beth tells Katie that she could go on American Idol and forget all about her stepfamily. In 2003, Lucy Hale made the final group in American Juniors, which is a spinoff of Idol.
- And Your Little Dog Too: Gail threatens to hurt Angela if Katie does not go along with the scheme.
- Blondes Are Evil: Gail and Bev, averted with Luke
- Cinderella Circumstances: Katie endures this.
- Financial Abuse: Gail initially threatens to steal Katie's inheritance if she does not go along with her scheme. It is later revealed that she took the money anyway.
- She also extorts money from the school.
- Ignored Epiphany: Bev admits that she is basically doing her mother's bidding. This goes nowhere.
- Lost Will And Testament: Averted. Katie's father had the sense to leave Katie a trust-fund. However, Gail steals it anyway.
- Love at First Note: Played Straight, though the exploitation of this trope is the movie's premise.
- Mythology Gag: "Tell Me Something I Don't Know"
- Playing Cyrano: Katie is forced by Gail to do this for Bev. Unlike most examples, Luke instantly falls in love with Katie the second he realizes the truth. Arguably justified in that he realized that she was being manipulated the whole time.
- Sadist Teacher: Gail, well a Sadist Headmistress
- The Glorious War of Sisterly Rivalry: Katie and Bev
- Wicked Stepmother: Gail
- Witch with a Capital B: Well, subverted; she's not exactly a witch, she's just a terrible b...