Index of Shame
Tropes dealing with shame, embarrassment, and humiliation... or the lack thereof.
Compare Insult Tropes
, Being In This Index Sucks
Contrast These Tropes Love to Brag
and Admiration Tropes
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Children find their parents' antics embarrassing.
- Be All My Sins Remembered: Somebody is ashamed because they're being praised but feel that they don't deserve it because they did bad things.
- Big Secret: People are investigating a crime, one person didn't do it but is a suspect because they have a shameful, unrelated secret.
- Break the Haughty: Something bad happens to an arrogant person, doesn't necessarily involve shame.
- Break Them by Talking: Gaining a psychological advantage over someone else by talking to them and making them feel awkward.
- Carload of Cool Kids: A vehicle full of people. Needn't involve shame but often involves the people in the vehicle heckling.
- Catch the Conscience: Reminding someone of their crime to shame them.
- Caught on the Jumbotron: Being caught on the camera doing something embarrassing at a sports' stadium.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Someone is caught with their pants down masturbating or preparing to masturbate.
- Circle of Shame: A group of people surround an embarrassed character and laugh at them.
- Closet Geek: A geek who is embarrassed by their geekiness and tries to hide it.
- Clothing Damage: Someone's clothes get damaged, usually played for Fanservice but not always. Not necessarily to do with shame but can cause it.
- Comedic Underwear Exposure: Somebody's underwear gets exposed, and it's Played for Laughs. Doesn't always embarrass them, but often does.
- Cone of Shame: A pet has to wear a cone collar to stop them from licking stitches or something, but it looks ridiculous to either the animal or the surrounding humans.
- The Conscience: A character who reminds another character to be morally good.
- Conscience Makes You Go Back: Someone is about to walk away from a person or people who need help, but then feels guilty and and goes back to help them.
- Cultural Cringe: People are embarrassed by an aspect of their own country's culture.
- Curious Qualms of Conscience: Someone is ashamed by their duty.
- Defeat by Modesty: Defeating the villain by damaging or stealing their clothes in a way that exposes (or threatens to expose) their privates or underwear.
- Dinner Order Flub: Somebody tries to order from a menu, but due to a language barrier, not knowing what a term means, not being able to read/see properly, or whatever other reason, they order something they didn't want or don't even order a dish. Doesn't always cause shame, but often does.
- Dirty Business: A good guy does something arguably bad out of obligation, and feels ashamed.
- Don't Look at Me!: Someone doesn't want to be looked at.
- Dunce Cap: Someone is punished by wearing a large cone-shaped hat with the word "DUNCE" or a "D" on it.
- Embarrassed by a Child: A character is doing something that embarrasses them, and they get more embarrassed by a child pointing it out.
- Embarrassing Animal Suit: A character has to wear an animal costume but is embarrassed by it.
- Embarrassing Cover Up: Someone is doing something secret and is asked what they're doing. They use something embarrassing as an excuse.
- Embarrassing First Name: Someone is embarrassed by their first name.
- Embarrassing Initials: A person's initials or an acronym spells out something embarrassing.
- Embarrassing Last Name: Someone's last name embarrasses them.
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Somebody is embarrassed by their middle name.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Someone has an In-Series Nickname they find embarrassing.
- Embarrassing Old Photo: Someone is embarrassed by a photo of them when they were a kid/baby.
- Embarrassing Ringtone: Someone uses a ringtone (usually in the form of a song) that they find embarrassing.
- Embarrassing Slide: Someone shows somebody else a series of photographs, one of which embarrasses them.
- Embarrassing Tattoo: Somebody has a tattoo that they find embarrassing.
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: A sunburn embarrasses the one getting sunburnt.
- Even the Dog Is Ashamed: Everybody is ashamed of someone, even a pet.
- Face Doodling: Drawing on a sleeping person's face, not always embarrassing but often is.
- The Freelance Shame Squad: A group of people who laugh at and/or tease a stranger's mistake.
- Guilty Pleasures: Someone feels guilty about something they enjoy.
- Hannibal Lecture: The villain asks the hero questions, which get progressively more embarrassing to the hero.
- Humble Pie: An embarrassing event deeply affects the one being embarrassed.
- Humiliation Conga: The villain is defeated with a lot of embarrassing things.
- I Hate Past Me: Someone meets their past selves via Time Travel and, often due to shame, hates them.
- I Was Quite a Fashion Victim: Someone cringes about the clothes they used to wear.
- Interrupted Bath: Someone gets interrupted while taking a bath, often leading to embarrassment.
- Instant Humiliation: Just Add YouTube!: Someone is embarrassed because another person posted a video of them doing something they find embarrassing on YouTube or similar.
- It's a Costume Party, I Swear!: Lying that a party is a costume party in order to get someone to dress up and be embarrassed.
- Mark of Shame: Giving someone a mark on their body or piece of clothing in order to shame them for something they did.
- Monument of Humiliation and Defeat: The villain wins (at least temporarily) and makes a monument to shame the hero.
- My Country Tis of Thee That I Sting: Being ashamed of one's own country.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Someone feels really guilty.
- My Greatest Failure: Someone feels embarrassed or guilty about one big failure they did.
- Naked Freak-Out: Somebody covers themselves and/or squeals upon being naked.
- Never Live It Down: A YMMV trope for when people associate a character with one minor thing, not necessarily related to shame.
- Of Corsets Funny: Corsets are played for comedy, often involving embarrassment.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Someone feels guilty about doing something that will negatively impact another person and decides to keep it a secret from that other person.
- Old Shame: Trivia page for when the author is ashamed of a work they made in the past and doesn't want to acknowledge it.
- The Penance: Punishing/shaming oneself.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Telling someone off by rambling on about how they are bad.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: A woman is embarrassed because she has to be naked or in skimpy clothes but doesn't want to.
- Shamed by a Mob: A group of people stare at a villain to shame them.
- Shameful Shrinking: Someone literally shrinks when they're embarrassed or ashamed.
- Shameful Source of Knowledge: Somebody doesn't want to give out useful information because they're embarrassed about where they got it from.
- Shameful Strip: Somebody is stripped of their clothing to embarrass them.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: A woman who doesn't care about nudity being taboo (despite being aware), she runs around naked or in her underwear anyway.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: An arrogant person brags about their skills shamelessly.
- Shaming the Mob: The hero shames an angry mob with a speech.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: A shape-shifter who's evil shames the good guy by impersonating their friend/love interest/etc while in combat.
- Shy Bladder: Somebody is too shy to pee.
- Slut-Shaming: Portraying promiscuous women as bad.
- Sudden Humility: Two people are friends, one of them has a disadvantage, then something bad happens to the person with the advantage, putting them on the same level as the disadvantaged person and humiliating the former advantaged person.
- Suicide Is Shameful: People think suicide is immoral.
- Suntan Stencil: Someone tries to embarrass another person by writing or drawing things/words on them that will show up when they tan.
- Underdressed for the Occasion: Somebody is embarrassed because they aren't wearing formal enough clothes.
- Virgin-Shaming: Virginity is seen as shameful.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: The hero accidentally does something bad, the villain complements the hero, which makes the hero feel bad.