A character is walking along the road when a car drives past through a puddle, splashing them big-style with water. Usually used as a comedic device which adds insult to injury in the events of an already bad day, perhaps after the character wonders how it could get any worse
. Often the number one cause of Doomed New Clothes
, especially fancy, expensive clothes. May lead to a Wardrobe Wound
As you might expect and several unfortunate saps can attest to, this is Truth in Television
Anime and Manga
- Parodied in an advertisement for beer, where a man waiting at a bus stop realises to his horror that the driver of an approaching car is going to inflict this on him. The driver grins evilly and pushes the accelerator to the floor. The car reaches the puddle... and sinks.
- Another advert for a car plays with this trope. Earlier an elderly gent was on a massive yacht with two young attractive ladies, he sails by two people windsurfing and the wake knocks them off balance. Later one of the guys windsurfing driving home sees the gent a pair or lovely, erm, ladies walking by a massive puddle. They recognise each other and the gent looks on with horror as the car speeds up only for the man to avoid the puddle.
- In one of the Expedia ads where the guy is predicting everything that's going to happen while he's walking down the street on his trip, this is one of them. "Embarrassingly transparent."
- Ed in Fullmetal Alchemist. He gets soaked, so he uses alchemy to dry off, and is immediately arrested.
- Ranma ½:
- A running gag involved Ryoga walking along and getting splashed by something. Could be a car going by, could be someone tossing used washwater out of a window, could be (and often was) an old woman watering her plants via ladle. Since cold water turns him into a pig, this was milked for all the humor value possible.
- Ranma him, er, herself often gets this treatment.
- Mamimi in FLCL gets soaked by a passing motorbike in the final episode. She later gets revenge by having the terminal core eat the bike.
Film - Animated
- One the 'peeves' confronted by Ali Babble in the Golden Age Batman story "Ali Babble and the Fourteen Peeves". He hauls the driver out of his car and hurls him bodily into a puddle.
- A Scamp story has Scamp getting completely covered in mud by a car splash, which gets him confused for a puppy that looks exactly like him, but brown. After escaping, he promptly finds a water puddle and waits for another car to go by in order to wash off.
- In Knights of the Dinner Table #200, Bob tries to persuade Shiela to give Brian a ride to Crutch's game. Shiela instead drives through a puddle, soaking Brian and leaving him standing on the side of the road.
Film - Live Action
- Robin Hood and Little John actually do this to Prince John at the very beginning of Robin Hood shortly after stealing his carriage and clothes, leaving him only in underwear.
- Happens to Milo Thatch at the very beginning of Atlantis: The Lost Empire after Fenton Harcourt refuses his proposal and speeds away from the Smithsonian Institution in his car.
- Happens to Bobcat Goldthwait's character in Scrooged.
- The Mask. Outside the Coco Bongo club, right after he's been thrown (literally 'thrown') out of it.
- Citizen Kane, when Kane meets Susan Alexander.
- Done as a Meet Cute in the opening scene of That Touch Of Mink, with Doris Day getting splashed by a limo carrying Cary Grant.
- In Jacques Tati's Mon Oncle, a truck drives through a puddle, almost completely drenching a shopkeeper. However, the bottom of his pants are still dry... which changes when the main character, Hulot, rides by on his bicycle.
- In the Drew Barrymore movie Irreconcilable Differences most of the film is set in flashback, illustrating testimony during a courtroom drama. The father of Drew's character (Casey) is retelling how he met Casey's mother, and a roadside wave is freeze-framed as he interrupts himself and the shot returns to the courtroom, with his protest about retelling this detail. The attorney asks "When did you say you met miss Van Patten Brodsky?" - SPLASH!!!
- Happens to Zoolander after he loses the Male Model of the Year award to Hansel (So Hot Right Now).
- And to Leslie Bibb's character in See Spot Run.
- Opening credits to Manimal.
- In an episode of Knight Rider when an arrogant reporter at a dirt bike race dons some nice clothes to meet the winner at the finish line.
- SCTV Had a skit called "Shower in a Briefcase", where you can clean yourself after this happens. Also available, "Blow Dryer in a Briefcase", which is Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- Dr. Kelso had a Crowning Moment Of Awesome when he exacted his vengeance on Carla with this in Scrubs.
- Opening credits of Sex and the City. Quite satisfying, as the uber-selfish and vain central character is the recipient.
- iCarly: Happens to Carly, Sam, and Freddie in iGo To Japan.
- Happens to Judy and Sandy in As Time Goes By when they're already having a rough time because of romantic woes; Lionel's unsympathetic reaction helps kick off the episode's plot.
- The Middle: Happens to Sue when she is walking home from a football game in the mascot costume in the episode where she breaks Axl's foot.
- Mentioned in one verse of The Streets' "It Was Supposed To Be So Easy," as the singer waits in line for the ATM.
- Zits: Happens to Jeremy and Sara in one strip as they discover that walking in the rain is not nearly as romantic as the songs make it sound.
- Family Guy: Lois gets splashed on by the woman that constantly beats her for the award for best piano student. What's worse, the street next to Lois is puddle-free, so her rival has to stop a few feet behind her, pull a bucket of water out of her car (which she apparently keeps just for these sorts of situations), and empty it into the gutter next to Lois, thereby producing a puddle through which she can drive.
- Skinner in Ratatouille gets hit by one right as his Humiliation Conga is nearing its peak.
- In the Trapped in TV Land episode of Teen Titans, some old dude is standing all peacefully-like in the middle of a river, fishing in the wilderness, minding his own business when a pimping red sports car streaks past from out of nowhere, splashing him in the face and scaring away the fish, followed in hot pursuit by the Titans.
- In Street Sharks, Slobster takes time out of delivering a squid to Dr. Paradigm to deliberately drive his motorcycle through a mud puddle when he spots the Street Sharks at an outdoor fast food restaurant, drenching them.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Sym-Bionic Titan: Happens to Lance and Ilana when they are hitchhiking in the rain in "The Steel Foe".
- Happens twice to Heloise on Jimmy Two-Shoes, when the same car that did it to her backs up and splashes her again.
- This happens to Tom and Jerry (and Spike) in one cartoon. The often-Bowdlerized results show the three in blackface.
- Generator Rex: Rex and Noah get splashed by the Drill Sergeant Nasty's jeep during the crosscountry run in "Basic".
- The Simpsons: This happens to Moe as part of a Humiliation Conga in "Moe'N'a Lisa". Immediately afterwards, the sprinklers turn on and then it starts to rain, but only on him.