Talk about the worst possible time to be magically stuck together by a magnetic curse
A character on the side of a road or street is doing something that no reasonable or sane human being would be expected to do.
Cue the rolling of a bus full of moral types (nuns, children, etc) past the character and the resulting mouth gapes and bulging stares from the formerly unblemished people of judgment.
It truly becomes Comedic Sociopathy
for the unlucky character when said bus is a tour bus
. Complete with flashing cameras and narration from the guide.
Should the bystanders choose to mock and jeer, congratulations—The victims might have picked up their very own Freelance Shame Squad
. Lucky them!
Anime and Manga
- A circa-2000 Levis ad has a sexy young woman walking down a railroad track. As a train approaches, she strips off her jeans and stands to the side in her panties as the train goes roaring past, while various passengers gawp out the windows at her. (After the locomotive has passed, we see that she removed the jeans to lay them across the track, so the wheels of the train would convert them to cutoff shorts.)
- Napoleon Dynamite: A farmer shoots a cow just as a school bus passes by.
- Jason Statham in Crank is having sex with his girlfriend in the middle of Chinatown. In public (long story). The passing judgment? A bus... of attractive women.
- A bus of attractive Japanese women. Who later comment on the news about his robustness and vigor.
- In Ali G In Da House, Ali is chained to a railing when his pants get pulled down. After trying to get an erection when a girl he likes passes (so as not to appear small), the next group along is a group of nuns.
- A quick, funny jokes occurs in Independence Day where Will Smith's character and his best friend are discussing brown-nosing in a locker room. His best friend is on one knee when Smith drops the engagement ring he was going to give his girlfriend. Just as the best friend holds it up to give it back, someone else on their squad passes by, makes a "I didn't see anything" gesture, and leaves.
- In Memoirs of an Invisible Man, the main character Nick has sex with his girlfriend on a train which just happens to pass by a few old ladies, who are not amused by their antics. After turning invisible, Nick wonders if he was cursed by them.
- James Herriot noted that in daily practice as a country vet in Yorkshire, he could be driving between farms all day and see absolutely nothing else moving on the roads. But when all the cups of tea offered by hospitable farmers took their toll, and he pulled over to the side to urinate against a wall... a carload of nuns drew up and asked for directions to Whitby, which Herriot had to give while a large puddle was forming at his feet.
- Weirdly inverted in a Seinfeld episode, where Kramer sees a tour bus passing by and pretends to mug George in order to get a horrified reaction from them.
- Outdoor humorist Patrick McManus comments in one of his stories that if you're hopelessly lost in the wilderness, the surest way to be rescued is to do something incredibly embarrassing and/or take off all your clothes. People will be drawn to your location like a magnet.
- There is a story told by a comedian (so actual events will vary) where a train is traveling through Wales and a man is, well, you know, shagging a sheep right next to the rail tracks. Somebody complained, the police were called and they found the man in the same spot, you think he would have moved.
- And then there's the classic urban legend about a guy who decides to be a jerk and throw his annoying cat at the window. The cat digs its claws into the curtains and its falling brings the curtains crashing down, rod and all. There is a group of now horrified children passing by right at that moment. The man is nude.
- Of course, if you're nude and trying to manhandle a cat, embarrassment is probably the best outcome that can be hoped for...
- The Simpsons: Skinner loses his pants as Chief Wiggum drives up. Ned Flanders gets pulled over for suspected DUI just as the church bus drives by.
- Inverted when Homer becomes a hippie and decides to freak out the establishment. While acting out of his mind while driving in his car, he passes Krusty the Clown, who is at that moment riding a unicycle pulled by his pet monkey...and calls them weirdos.
- Come to think of it, the Running Gag of Nelson showing up out of nowhere and pointing and laughing sort of fits.
- Tiny Toon Adventures: "And to your right, a naked pig."
- Family Guy:
- Not on the street per se, but in one episode Cleveland has an audition for The Bachelorette and begins getting nervous, so Peter tries to calm Cleveland down. It escalates quickly, with Peter ripping off Cleveland's clothes and his own clothes and holding Cleveland in his chair. Then the executives walk through the door to call in Cleveland.
- There was also an incident when Peter wrecked his car (which was being played for a phallic symbol of masculinity) and a bus full of supermodels laughed at him.
- Another episode has Peter, Joe, Cleveland and Quagmire stuck on a deserted island. Following cliche, they decide to have an orgy. Realizing they aren't attracted to each other they try to disengage but are too tired to move. Naturally a cruise ship sails by; the tour guide describes the scene in English and Spanish.
- Spongebob Squarepants: "...And if you look to your right, you'll see two naked guys fighting over a can of paint!"