It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Index with a Heart of Gold
This is about characters who are difficult to approach socially on the outside, but nice on the inside.
Sometimes, this is because there is some goodness in everyone
. At other times, they were only hiding that they were Good All Along
- Affably Evil: A bad guy who happens to be a really nice person once you get to know him/her.
- Aloof Ally: S/he may not enjoy being a team player, but is very reliable at the end of the day.
- Anger Born of Worry: Angry with others' foolhardiness, but is very glad they're safe and sound.
- Anti Anti Christ: A character who is destined to end the world but does not want to.
- Anti-Hero: Not a clear cut hero, but is always proves to be morally better than the villains.
- Anti-Villain: A bad guy with noble qualities and traits, and possibly even heroic goals.
- Ascended Demon: A demon who turns good and achieves a holy status.
- The Atoner: A character who makes up for his wrongdoings.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Even tough badass characters have their moments of showing a softer side.
- Chaotic Good: Not the most law-abiding person around, but not a bad person either.
- Chivalrous Pervert: He shamelessly ogles the ladies, but he'd be the first to defend their honor.
- Compassionate Critic: S/he criticizes other characters not out of malice, but to make them better.
- Crazy Cat Lady: A Friend to All Living Things who is Not Good with People.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Has an evil, scary look, but appears to be pleasant.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Given time and affection, her uncaring facade will melt to reveal her softer side.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Desperately needs your help but won't give up enough pride, independence, or self-control to accept it.
- Face of a Thug: Good guys looking physically like criminals.
- Fool for Love: Badass who is a sucker for love.
- Forgiven But Not Forgotten: Despite being grudging about it, s/he will give others the benefit of the doubt.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: They don't like him/her for certain reasons, but they would never exclude them from their friendship.
- Gentle Giant: S/he might be a towering giant, but his/her warm heart is about as big as him/herself.
- Good Bad Girl: Notorious sexual reputation; benevolent, zestful interior.
- Good Is Not Nice: Rude in person, but always helpful to the heroes.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: To keep their Badass reputation, they don't want others to know of their good but less badass deeds.
- Hitman with a Heart: They may be a career killer, but they will never hurt an innocent.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Underneath the sex kitten exterior there's a sweet, innocent flower that needs nurturing.
- Innocent Bigot: Prejudiced, but only because they genuinely don't know any better.
- Innocently Insensitive: Good person, but doesn't realize that s/he's a jerk.
- Jerkass Fašade: A character tries to act like a heartless bastard when it's obvious s/he isn't.
- Jerkass Woobie: A jerkish character who also manages to be sympathetic.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Cranky or rough exterior hides a kind, helpful side.
- Knight in Sour Armor: A cynical character who stands up for the Good and Right even though not entirely convinced those things exist.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: A character who may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but their kindness outweighs it.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: You know that one mean, popular, rich girl in every high school? She's not as nasty as she pretends to be.
- Loving Bully: S/he bullies someone because s/he secretly likes them.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: This character's sinister reputation is entirely undeserved.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Has bad habits, but never lets it interfere with their heart of gold.
- Noble Bigot: Prejudiced, yet still a good person.
- Noble Demon: Kindly Anti-Villain who cultivates a fearsome reputation.
- Not Always Evil: That Always Chaotic Evil race right there? Not always so.
- Pragmatic Hero: They are frighteningly prone to extreme methods. Unless you are in the way of the greater good, and if it contributes to it, they will certainly help you.
- The Quiet One: Just because he doesn't say much doesn't mean he doesn't have anything nice to say.
- Sarcastic Devotee: He may mock and show disdain towards his teammates, but he is loyal to a fault nonetheless.
- Shrinking Violet: She wasn't ignoring you, she's just shy.
- The Snark Knight: A Deadpan Snarker who believes firmly and unironically in a high moral code.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: A person who uses their abrasive nature to hide secret feelings of depression.
- Suffers Newbies Poorly: Not really receptive towards new users, but does warm up to them once they get to know them.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: A frosty, emotionless coating protects delicate feelings within.
- Token Good Teammate: S/he may be working for the bad guys, but s/he's actually a good person compared to his/her peers.
- Token Heroic Orc: He may come from an Always Chaotic Evil background, but he doesn't let it influence his choice to be good.
- Tough Love: S/he may be harsh on you, but that is all so you can become a better man.
- Sergeant Rock: Harsh on his subordinates and may not be well-liked personally, but all of his men respects him.
- Stern Teacher: Strict and no-nonsense, but cares more deeply than his/her students could expect.
- Type A: An angry person who is waiting for a special someone to trigger his or her nice side.
- Type B (in many cases): A nice person normally, but gets hot-tempered when dealing with a certain someone.
- Vitriolic Best Buds:
- Variant 1: Belittles and antagonizes their friend, but cares for them.
- Variant 2: Two friends belittle and antagonize each other but cares for one another.
- The Wonka: An eccentric authority figure; good at heart, but friendship won't come until you come to understand his unique way of thinking.