open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Mavis, the original founder of Fairy Tail, aids members of her guild long after she died and became a ghost. Except she's not really a ghost.
- Sayo, the Cute Ghost Girl from Mahou Sensei Negima!. She's treated just like another other student in Negi's class.
- The titular Kana of My Lovely Ghost Kana. It's hard to get much friendlier than a Cute Ghost Girl who'll happily use her supernaturally cold ghostly form to chill a can of beer in Victoria's Secret Compartment for her boyfriend if he asks nicely.
- Phantom Quest Corp.: In Incident File 03, Natsuki's deceased boyfriend, Narita, helps her with the museum exhibit she was working on, while also protecting her from Mr. Nagasuki's advances. His spirit doesn't depart for the afterlife, 'til after the exhibit was taken care of and he'd made certain Natsuki would be safe.
- The first ghost-types to appear on Pokémon turned out to be pretty friendly to Ash and Pikachu.
- Practically all of the ghosts in Re-Kan! are quite friendly, and most of them even more so towards Hibiki, the girl who can actually see them.
- Elaine from The Seven Deadly Sins is the Nice Girl ghost of fairy who is in a Star-Crossed Lovers type of relationship with the immortal living Bad Boy Ban.
- Suske en Wiske: Sus Antigoon is a sympathethic ghost and an ally of Suske and Wiske, because he is the ghost of Suske's dead grandfather.
- In Haunted Mansion and the Hatbox Ghost, a Fan Verse based on Disney'sThe Haunted Mansion, this aspect of the original is kept and even enhanced by having Constance become a little less tough.
- From the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic videogame Story of the Blanks and fanfictions based on it such as Fools And Drunks and I Guess It Doesn't Matter Any More, we have Ruby Gift and her mother Mitta.
- Beetlejuice plays with the trope. The recently deceased couple are quite nice and friendly, and only act spookily and scarily to get the weirdo yuppie family to leave. In the end, once Beetlejuice is defeated, the family and ghosts all get along happily with several other ghosts joining in.
- Dead Lands: The ghost of Hongi's grandmother continues to aid him after her murder..
- The Frighteners: The ghosts who hang out with Frank Bannister are friendly. They even help him with his fake ghost eliminating service, and give their ... er, afterlives to protect him from the unfriendly ghosts who haunt the town.
- Murdoch Glourie in the film The Ghost Goes West is a benign ghost, unless you're a McLaggen descendant
- High Spirits. Wacky comedy where the ghosts aren't just friendly, but amorous.
- Just Like Heaven. Played with. The girl ghost in this movie is kinda cutesy adversarial with the guy, but it's a Rom Com, so she ends up to have been only mostly dead, and stops being a ghost shortly after they fall in love.
- Melissa Ann Montgomery and her mother in Lady in White. Melissa doesn't look spookily.
- This was a major plot point in The Sixth Sense. Cole realizes that the ghosts aren't so menacing once he lends them his ear.
- After Cary Grant and Constance Bennett are killed in a car wreck in Topper, they become Manic Pixie Dream Ghosts who dedicate themselves to livening up their old friend Cosmo Topper's previously stuffy existence.
- Aunt Dimity from the book series of the same name is another ghost who kindly looks out for the surviving niece who inherits her home.
- A Played With example. The ghost in Ghost Story is friendly to his friends from life. Harry Dresden himself is the ghost in question here.
- In the Goosebumps book "The Ghost Next Door", the main character suspects that her neighbor is a ghost, due to the fact that he's lived next door for awhile and yet she and her family don't remember anybody moving into that house, the fact that they've both been going to the same school for awhile and are in the same grade yet neither knows any of the others friends, and the fact that the neighbor seems to keep randomly disappearing. While he does cause trouble when he's around his friends (who pretty much coerce him into causing trouble), he is a generally good kid. But at the end, it turns out that he's not a ghost, but the main character is, having been unaware that she and her family had been dead for awhile, and they are rather friendly for ghosts.
- The Nearly-Headless Nick in Harry Potter is polite, nice and likes to tell stories of the past. Notably he doesn't hesitate to show why he's "nearly headless" when he's asked and he treats it well.
- Oreg in the Hurog duology. Despite being something of a slave to the head of the family, he has quite some freedom in being nice or mean to other members of the family. He seems to have Big Brother Instinct towards the daughter of the family, and makes life difficult for relatives who mistreat her.
- The overwhelming majority of spirits in the Necroscope series are not only friendly, but delighted to have someone to talk to in Harry Keogh.
- In the short story "Old Applejoy's Ghost" by Frank R. Stockton, the title character befriends his great-granddaughter and, with her help, teaches her uncle (his grandson) to be less miserly.
- Please Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead features the ghost of the main character's aunt. She's not gentle or nice once her niece inherits the home, but she is acting to protect her niece from a great evil, so she can't really be nice about it.
- King Verence and King Champot in Wyrd Sisters. Verence seeks vengeance on his murderer, but when he's not doing that is very polite and charming. Champot is the oldest ghost in the castle and helpfully explains to Verence what the rules are.
Live Action TV
- Angel: Cordelia moves into an apartment in the "Rm w/a Vu" episode that is haunted by Dennis Pearson and his psychotic mother. Once Dennis body is uncovered and he banishes the mother's ghost, he remains as Cordelia's friendly roommate.
- Big Bad Beetleborgs featured Flabber, a friendly ghost who grants Drew, Jo, and Roland their powers.
- The three ghosts from Dead Gorgeous.
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir: The ghost of Captain Gregg pretended at being fearsome and blustery, but he was really rather sweet and in love with Mrs. Muir.
- Ghostwriter is pretty friendly and helpful to those he chooses to interact with. Otherwise, he's Invisible to Normals.
- Jennifer Slept Here. The ghost of actress Jennifer Farrell haunts her former mansion. When a yuppie couple move in (her former lawyer and his family), she's friendly with the son (the only person who can see her), and tries to help him become cool.
- Nearly Departed: All the ghosts in this short-lived series were friendly, if occasionally antagonistic with the people living in the home with them.
- Sorcerer's Lair has Whisper, a friend of the two siblings who investigate the lair.
- Hui-Buh. Hui-Buh is a friendly ghost that "lives" in an old castle somewhere in Germany. He was a knight until he was caught cheating while playing cards and thus was cursed to be a ghost. He is fairly unlucky in his attempts at being spooky, which makes him a tragicomedic figure. He often helps or is helped by the current owners of the castle, and he is also the only "officially licensed ghost" in the country.
- D from Another Code is a nice enough kid who really just wants his memories back so he can pass on. Kelly in the second game ain't so bad either.
- Donkey Kong 64 has Wrinkly Kong, who's died since Donkey Kong Country 3, but she still kindly gives the player hints about acquiring the many golden bananas in the level.
- Paper Mario has the Boos, who like to scare people but are otherwise harmless. Of special note is Bow, who becomes a very helpful partner.
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door has Ghost T. Scary music aside, he's pretty cool... unless you read his diary.
- Ghosts in The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 can be made friends with like any other Sim, and made playable. They can even have WooHoo with normal Sims, and in The Sims 3, produce "ghost babies", which look like ghosts and have some special abilities.
- Undertale has Napstablook, who is friendly and considerate, though they do seem to suffer from depression as well. The other ghost you meet is... less than friendly. And the other other ghost is Mettaton.
- In Ghostbusters: The Video Game, the Ghostbusters contend with harmless echoes when they return to the Sedgewick Hotel. They look just like normal, everyday people milling about. Considering what they normally have to deal with, these "ghosts of ghosts" are the closest thing to "friendly" they've ever seen.
- The Fox Sister: Yun Hee is possessed by her dead sister's spirit, who saves her life.
- Gunnerkrigg Court: Mort is a cheerful ghost whose job is to scare people (It's very important, I assure you.) with his Shapeshifting powers. Chapter 47 reveals he was a young boy who was killed in The Blitz and also sees him move on to the afterlife.
- Homestuck's "dream bubbles" are full of ghosts, who can visit players in their sleep, or physically if players physically pass through the bubbles. They tend to be pretty kind, sometimes due to being AU versions of players' friends, and sometimes because they still act by their pre-death nature.
- Scandinavia and the World. Denmark flips out upon meeting a tiny, adorable ghost, but Greenland reminds him that many ghosts are helpful, and asks the ghost for its purpose. Turns out it's actually terrifying after all, It drinks your beer!
- Wilde Life: Sylvia the ghost has been unfriendly in the past when she didn't like the tenants. When she likes them, she is not only friendly, but helpful: finding lost items, making sure the porch light was on when it was dark, making sure they never woke up late for work or school. She is friendly to the current tenant of the house, who reciprocated once he realized she was amicable.
- Casper the Friendly Ghost has this trope as its premise: Where the other ghosts are spooky and really mischievous, Casper just want friends, and is very polite and kind. Somewhat deconstructed (comically) in that most people are still terrified at a mere sight of ghosts like him even if he tried his darnedest not to be frightening, and so he only makes a few friends, but they all love Casper very much.
- Danny Phantom
- This show has The Dairy King. The Dairy King outright says not all ghosts are evil and helps the protagonist. All he wants is to be left alone in peace.
- Hell, Danny Phantom himself qualifies. Although he possesses the power to become a ghost (which tend to be the source of most misfortune in the Danny Phantom universe), he is generally a pretty outgoing, Book Dumb kid who can be a bit of a Butt Monkey. Being a growing up teenager, though, he still can sometimes be a prankster.
- Jonathan "Mudsy" Muddlemore from The Funky Phantom by Hanna-Barbera died a coward while hiding in a standing clock from British soldiers during the American Revolution. Augie, Skip and April awaken Mudsy's ghost from the clock when they cause it to chime. Mudsy is still cowardly, but affable and polite while visible.
- As part of their Adaptational Heroism, the four members of the Ghost Gang from Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures are Pac-Man's friends who serve as moles who warn Pac of many of Betrayus' schemes.
- The Real Ghostbusters: Slimer is one of these, acting as their Team Pet and Plucky Comic Relief.
- Nugget Nose, the Galloping Ghost from Yogi's Space Race, was generally friendly unless overtaken with gold fever.
- A friendly Cute Ghost Girl is one of the students in Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School.
- Beetlejuice becomes this in the animated adaptation Beetlejuice as is a softer version and Beetlejuice is not the villain (as in the movie), he is mischievous but is Lidia’s best friend and, although he likes to play tricks on the Deetz, he also protect them from any real danger.
- Several friendly ghosts appears in the Monster High franchise, one movie has an entire school of friendly ghosts.