Film: Just Like Heaven
A mildly successful 2005 romantic comedy, actually based on a novel, in which a troubled alcoholic (Mark Ruffalo) moves into an apartment with a less-than-solid woman (Reese Witherspoon). He thinks she's dead. She insists she isn't. Hilarity Ensues.
Contains the following tropes:
- Adaptation Expansion: The original novel ends with Lauren (renamed Elizabeth for the film) waking up from the coma with no memory of her time as a ghost. The film added an extra scene where Elizabeth and David meet again on the roof of the apartment, she remembers everything, and they kiss. Awww.
- An Astral Projection, Not a Ghost
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Starts cropping up in the second half of the movie, especially in the second encounter with Darryl.
- Bad Liar: David.
- Blind Date: How David and Elizabeth were supposed to meet.
- Converse with the Unconscious: David appears to be doing this, but he's actually talking to Elizabeth's spirit. Also Elizabeth's sister and nieces.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Elizabeth...or so she seems.
- Drowning My Sorrows: David's whole life after his wife's death.
- Fantastic Romance
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: David and his first wife.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Not on David, but Elizabeth gets marriage proposals from one of her patients.
- Hospital Hottie: Elizabeth, her mentor, and most of the rest of the staff.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Perfectly chaste, as Elizabeth and David can't even touch if they wanted to. David even wears a swimsuit to shower in case Elizabeth pops up unexpectedly.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Elizabeth is a bit of an aversion, as she fulfills much the same role in the plot, but is actually the subdued and responsible force in David's life, in contrast to his wild friend Jack.
- Ms. Fanservice: Katrina.
- The Mourning After: David, so hard.
- Not Quite Dead: Elizabeth.
- Non-human Lover Reveal: In reverse (David knows she's a spirit before they actually fall in love).
- Now or Never Kiss: The climax.
- The Power of Love: Heavily implied to be the cause of the movie's events.
- The Reveal: Elizabeth is actually in a coma. Also, Jack is JJ, Elizabeth's sister's old beau.
- Troubled, but Cute: David.
- True Love's Kiss: How Elizabeth wakes up from the coma.