A mildly successful 2005 romantic comedy, actually based on a novel, in which a troubled alcoholic (Mark Ruffalo) moves into an apartment with a less-than-solid woman (Reese Witherspoon). He thinks she's dead. She insists she isn't. Hilarity Ensues.
Contains the following tropes:
- Adaptation Expansion: The original novel ends with Lauren (renamed Elizabeth for the film) waking up from the coma with no memory of her time as a ghost. The film added an extra scene where Elizabeth and David meet again on the roof of the apartment, she remembers everything, and they kiss. Awww.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Starts cropping up in the second half of the movie, especially in the second encounter with Darryl.
- Blind Date: How David and Elizabeth were supposed to meet.
- Casting Gag : Rosalind Chao is Elizabeth's mentor at the hospital. Chao played Pei-Pei in Freaky Friday. During the "exorcism montage," we see...Pei-Pei's mother (Lucille Soong).
- Converse with the Unconscious: David appears to be doing this, but he's actually talking to Elizabeth's spirit. Also Elizabeth's sister and nieces.
- Drowning My Sorrows: David's whole life after his wife's death.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: Not on David, but Elizabeth gets marriage proposals from one of her patients.
- "Friends" Rent Control : David doesn't appear to do much of anything but drink, yet he can afford (even as a sublet) a large one-bedroom with an astounding view, in San Francisco.
- Ghost Amnesia: As a spirit, Elizabeth had trouble remembering her past life. Similarly, when she awakens, she can't remember her time with David at first.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Perfectly chaste, as Elizabeth and David can't even touch if they wanted to. David even wears a swimsuit to shower in case Elizabeth pops up unexpectedly.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Elizabeth is a bit of an aversion, as she fulfills much the same role in the plot, but is actually the subdued and responsible force in David's life, in contrast to his wild friend Jack.
- Non-human Lover Reveal: In reverse (David knows she's a spirit before they actually fall in love).
- The Power of Love: Heavily implied to be the cause of the movie's events.
- The Reveal: Elizabeth is actually in a coma. Also, Jack is JJ, Elizabeth's sister's old beau.
- Shout-Out : Who you gonna call?
- True Love's Kiss: How Elizabeth wakes up from the coma.