Western Animation: The Funky Phantom
series not unlike
their earlier success Scooby-Doo
, The Funky Phantom
featured three teenagers — Skip, April and Augie — and their dog, Elmo. While trying to get out of a storm, they entered an old house where the longcase clock was wrong. Upon setting the clock to midnight, they released two ghosts: Jonathan Wellington "Mudsy" Muddlemore, a ghost from The American Revolution
, and his cat, Boo. The two of them allegedly hid inside the clock from the British during the Revolutionary War, but then couldn't get out and eventually died inside. Ever since being freed by their new friends, Mudsy and Boo have accompanied them on many mysteries, always giving an invisible helping hand.
The show—Hanna-Barbera's first series with animation farmed out overseas (Air Programs in Sydney
)—aired on ABC
in 1971. The voice of Mudsy, provided by Daws Butler
, was identical to his voice work for the character Snagglepuss. Butler went so far as to include Snagglepuss' catch phrases
, such as appending sentences with the word "even"
This cartoon provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra/Stalker with a Crush: In the Gold Key comics, Mudsy had one in the form of Revolutionary War belle spirit Priscilla Atwater.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn:
- Skip: Brains
- April: Beauty
- Augie: Brawn
- Beach Episode: Haunt-In Inn has a beach seen with the guys and swim suits and April in a bikini
- Bonus for Fanservice the same episode has April in a night gown that appears just as short as her usual skirt
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: April, Skip, and Augie.
- Catch Phrase: Mudsy's "It's Funky Phantom time!"
- Comic Book Adaptation: Eleven issues by Western Publishing Company's Gold Key division (March 1972 - March 1974).
- Cool Car: The Looney Duney and the car they build in the first episode.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: April's skirt is too short for comfort.
- Expository Theme Tune: There were two—one performed by the kids and another (after three episodes) by some studio performers.
- Expy: Mudsy is essentially Snagglepuss in the form of a human ghost from the American Revolution.
- Five-Man Band:
- Headless Horseman
- Love Triangle: Possibly one of these with Augie, April, and Skip. Augie and Skip fight for April's attention and she seems attracted to them both to a certain extent.
- Magic Skirt: April jumps up and down wearing a pleated cheerleader skirt in "Pigskin Predicament," and it does not flip up.
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Punny Name: Henry Fowler, who runs Chicken Delicious, and Mr. Angus, who owns an angus and roast beef chain.
- Scooby-Doo Hoax
- Averted in a few episodes one of which with run of the mill thieves and another with a gimmick super villian more in line with something out of Dynomutt Dog Wonder
- Scooby Stack
- Smurfette Principle: April is the only girl in the group.
- Team Pet: Elmo and Boo.
- Title Scream
- Twin Switch: The Hairy Scary Houndman dognaps Elmo instead of the prize winning dog.