Left: The one who fires off glorious magic spells.
Center: The one who builds the best gadgets.
Right: The one who punches things real hard.
A group dynamic trope, a type of female Power Trio
where one is smart
, one is tough
, and one is conventionally pretty, popular or feminine
Often, to give "Beauty" a useful skill, she also acts as the Team Mom
, The Kirk
, or the mediator when the other two get into their frequent fights
. In other cases, she is the one who is ''socially'' adept and empathetic
, while "Brains" has technical skills but is sometimes nerdy or socially awkward.
The personalities might also be what the Freudian Trio
used to be described as: body or the impulsive, pleasure-seeking one (the brawn), mind or the academic, reasonable one (the brain) and heart or the one who ties them together, as the calming, healing influence (the beauty). In other words, the Brawn represents the Id
, the Brain represents the Superego
, and the Beauty represents the Ego
Often Color-Coded for Your Convenience
as the Brainy Brunette
, the Fiery Redhead
and the beautiful but Dumb Blonde
. Contrast though as the Blonde, Brunette, Redhead
tend to be portrayed as flaws while Beauty Brains And Brawn are good.
See also: The Hecate Sisters
, The Three Faces of Eve
, and Four Girl Ensemble
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Axis Powers Hetalia
- Ukraine: Beauty (the most emotional and sensitive)
- Liechtenstein: Brains (sensitive as well, but more stable and said to be a techie in the author's notes)
- Hungary: Brawn (the Action Girl, 'nuff said)
- Alternatively, the Axis itself could serve as this with Italy as the Beauty, Germany as the Brains, and Japan left as the Brawn.
- You can also add the three English speaking countries to:
- America: Brawn (Always claiming to be the hero and possess great strength).
- England: Brains (Always trying to think logically despite whoever disagrees).
- Canada: Beauty (Barely gets any attention and is less outspoken of the trio).
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Sailor Moon: First Two Arcs of the First Series had only these three senshi.
- Usagi/Moon - Beauty; pretty but dumb blonde with a heroic heart.
- Ami/Mercury - Brains; her original attack was befuddling mist and she had a visor for Awesome by Analysis.
- Rei/Mars - Brawn; far more aggressive and has the red hot fire power.
- The Outer Senshi
- Michiru/Neptune - Beauty; the Elegant Classical Musician
- Setsuna/Pluto - Brains; Orchestrates the rise of the Silver Millenimum with the Time Gate.
- Haruka/Uranus - Brawn; she's mannish she can pass for a guy and uses a sword.
- Naruto - Team 10
- Beauty- Ino is vain in the early story arcs and has flower motifts because of her family's business.
- Brains- Shikamaru is a super genius and The Team strategist.
- Brawn- Choji is big, boisterious and has the Meat Tank ninjitsu.
- Outlaw Star
- Beauty - Melfina as the peaceful heart of The Team.
- Brains - Suzuka; tactical knowledge in this case. Her great combat ability is entirely skill.
- Brawn - Aisha is the Proud Warrior Race Girl with a Super Mode.
- Ranma ½: When you boil them down to the characteristics most people associate them with, the Tendo sisters fit.
- 7 Seeds- the three young women in Team Spring
- Mai-HiME - the three main characters
- Beauty: Mai (The most maternal of they three as she looks after Mikoto, and takes care of her sickly brother, Takumi)
- Brains: Natsuki (The most rational of the three and a bit of a loner)
- Brawn: Mikoto (Despite being childlike she is incredible powerful and wields a large claymore.)
- Hanamaru Kindergarten - the three main girls
- Josie and the Pussycats - the Rock Trio
- Josie - Brains (the most level headed of the group and The Leader)
- Melody - Beauty (She's not bright and the prettiest of the three. She's largely unaware of all the attention she gets)
- Valerie - Brawn (She's the tomboy of the trio who usually protects the others from unwanted male attention)
- Sapphire Eleanor Rose Suzette De Mont Vs Canon - the three female members of the MSEA we see the most of.
- October: Brains; she's The Leader of the MSEA and generally makes all the decisions
- Aphrodite: Beauty; she's a lovely young thing who's not much into physical combat—instead, she's a Cute Witch
- Charlie: Brawn; she carries a BFG and is always eager to do the dirty work
- Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has different ones. For example:
- Kamen Rider Club Girls (Horseshoes and Hand Grenades)
- Tomoko-Beauty (for having the Psychic Powers in the group)
- Yuki-Brains (Having the most knowledge of space)
- Miu and Erin-Brawn (Miu being the one making plans and piloting the Power Dizer. Erin for being the Aquarius Zodiarts and the healer)
- Cosmic Hunting Dogs (Month of Sundays)
- Mari-Beauty (The healer with a boyfriend who wants to see people smile)
- Jun-Brains (She's the most observant of the group and questions many of their actions.)
- Rumi-Brawn (Usually the one charging onto the field with a vaulting pole in hand)
- Beauty and the Beast: The Beast's servants
- The Feather Duster - Beauty; her lover Luminere certainly thinks so. He's constantly flirting in her scenes.
- Mrs. Potts - Brains; she's the one who organized Belle's late night meal.
- The Wardrobe - Brawn; the biggest and defeated part of the mob by herself.
- Avalon: Web of Magic
- Kara - Beauty; she's so focused on looking good and otherwise girly Adrianne calls her 'Barbie'. Her original function was to power up the others, not mediate. That was Emily's job.
- Emily - Brains; she's the one with The Plan to protect the forest or twart the Evil Plan.
- Adrianne - Brawn; a tomboy and so action forward Kara calls her 'Xena'.
- In The Circle Of Magic, the three main female characters could fit into it, while their foster brother Briar fits a little bit into all three (being handsome, tough and clever in a street-smart sort of way).
- Sandry: Beauty (thread based magic, clothes designer and politician)
- Tris: Brains (weather based magic, book worm)
- Daja: Brawn (metal work/fire based magic, smithy).
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Willow - Brains; super hacking skills followed by super magic skills.
- Buffy - Brawn. She's the super strong veteran slayer.
- Cordelia - Beauty, the fashion conscious and popularity obsessed Alpha Bitch who torments them.
- Step by Step
- Dana- Brains; smart, academic, sarcastic.
- Karen- Beauty; beautiful, vain and ditzy.
- Al- Brawn; sporty and tomboyish.
- Beauty: Britta (though she thinks she's Brains)
- Brains: Annie (overachiever and actually wants to learn stuff)
- Brawn: Shirley (Mama Bear extraordinaire)
- Seasons 1-8
- Manny - Beauty (known for being hot and promiscuous)
- Liberty - Brains (smart over-achiever)
- Emma - Brawn (In the Feminist Save-the-Planet Independent Tomboy way, less so physical strength.)
- The Big Bang Theory (As of Season 4)
- Bernadette - Beauty; cute, lovable and pretty.
- Amy - Brains; stoic Brainy Brunette, TV Genius.
- Penny - Brawn; strong, capable of handling herself on a physical level.
- Rachel - Beauty; attractive, trendy, fashionable.
- Monica - Brains; level-headed, the one with most common sense.
- Phoebe - Brawn; the badass who lived on the street, implied to be a capable fighter.
- The last two is played with since Monica is freakishly strong and Phoebe's greatest tool is her sexuality.
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch (seasons 5-7)
- Morgan - Beauty; shallow, attractive and popular.
- Sabrina - Brains; book smart, aspiring journalist.
- Roxie - Brawn; very strong and tough.
- Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor's three companions.
- Beauty: Thea (Only known for being someone's girlfriend)
- Brains: Felicity (Nerds Are Sexy)
- Brawn: Laurel (cop's daughter. Tougher than she looks)
- Project Justice - Seijyun Girls High School
- Akira - Brains; the transfer student who's been through a similar situation before
- Yurika - Beauty; the incredibly girly Elegant Gothic Lolita that fights with music
- Zaki - Brawn; the deliquent gang leader who's experienced with local gang conflicts
- Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
- Etna - Brawn; the aggressive one.
- Flonne - Beauty; a pretty teaching about love.
- Jennifer - Brains; she's a scientist
- Noel Vermilion - Beauty. Although all three of them are certainly good-looking, Noel probably embodies this aspect the most, being the most outwardly feminine, with girly interests and an endearing Moe demeanour. She's also the one who is played for Fanservice the most.
- Tsubaki Yayoi - Brains. Back in the Academy days, Tsubaki got the highest academic scores and acted as the brains of the trio. Her fighting style seems to make use of graceful attacks and Ars Magus, emphasizing her intellect.
- Makoto Nanaya - Brawn. Being a Beastkin, Makoto is extremely physically strong by human standards. Her fighting style also emphasizes this; twin-tonfas and punches as opposed to Noel's Bolverk and Tsubaki's Izayoi.
- If you discount Mission Control Rise from Persona 4 (who would otherwise be a secondary Beauty, then you get:
- Chie: Brawn (Tomboyish Kick Chick)
- Yukiko: Beauty (The Ojou who's in charge of healing magic)
- Naoto: Brains (Arguably the most competent and intelligent of the group, but also incredibly shy)
- Persona 3's female cast is a little debatable (again, discounting Fuuka, the Mission Control character and Metis, since she's an extension of Aigis anyway, and also fills the same role):
- Aigis: Definitely the Brawn, being a superpowered Robot Girl (and one of two characters who only has physical-type offensive skills.)
- Yukari: Could be the Beauty, due to being the healer of the group, and because her trying to go back to the fight against Nyx again to try and save the Protagonist in The Answer causes the group to splinter.
- Mitsuru: The Brains, being the smartest of the group, but also shares the Beauty role with Yukari, being The Ojou and Team Mom.
- El Goonish Shive:
- Nanase - Brawn (she can bench press 200 lbs when she has access to her magic and 160 lbs otherwise)
- Grace - Brains (she learns very quickly, can store a lot of info in her short term memory, has above average long term memory and is a math tutor)
- Ellen - Beauty (her appearance is based on the Female Variant 5 form as applied to Elliot which was designed with attractiveness in mind)
- Totally Spies!
- Sam - Brains. A straight-A student, unofficial leader of the team, and comes up with the most strategies for fighting the bad guys and when the girls have to escape near-death situations.
- Alex - Brawn. A bit of a tomboy who's the most athletic of the the team and loves sports.
- Clover - Beauty. A Valley Girl who is easily the most boy crazy of the group. The show also gave a pragmatic reason to have a Beauty, since she is good with disguises (though this becomes a moot point in later seasons where the girls just use holograms.)
- The Powerpuff Girls
- Blossom - Brains; "commander and leader"
- Bubbles - Beauty; "the joy and the laughter"
- Buttercup - Brawn; "the toughest fighter"
- Despicable Me- Gru's daughters
- Margo - Brains; oldest sister, the most intelligent and mature.
- Edith - Brawn; mischievous tomboy, with rebellious attitude & fond of destruction.
- Agnes - Beauty; cute and adorable.
- Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Chipettes
- Brittany - Beauty (the prettiest one of the group, and the oldest of the group)
- Jeannette - Brains (the most mature and by far the most intelligent of the group)
- Eleanor- Brawn (Surprisingly athletic given her weight)
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - Cutie Mark Crusaders
- Sweetie Belle- Beauty. She takes after her sister in fashion and has a stunning singing voice.
- Apple Bloom- Brains. Her cutie mark is implied to involve carpentry and she devises many of their plans.
- Scootaloo- Brawns. A skateboarder that idolizes Rainbow Dash.
- X-Men: Evolution
- Kitty Pryde: Beauty; the most girly of the X-men.
- Jean Grey: Brains; honor student in this verse.
- Rogue: Brawn; Touch of Death by skin contact works wonders in a fist fight.
- Teen Titans
- Starfire: Beauty; bright and bubbly personality. More than one episode focused on her apperance or relationship issues.
- Raven: Brains; often reading and has the magical know-how.
- Terra: Brawn; gritty, hands-on and hard hitting because of her super power.