"There is just something sexy about a woman with a blaster, too bad my wife doesn't agree to that."
Girls With Guns describes a sub-genre of action media
that focuses on strong female leads being awesome with firearms. May or may not involve Heroic Bloodshed
. It was developed somewhere in the Hong Kong film industry and has since made itself a genre that is often used in anime. Usually involves gun fights, stunts and martial arts.
Small Girl, Big Gun
is a subtrope—Girls With Guns aren't necessarily small, and their guns aren't necessarily big. Yeah-heh.
Compare Superhero Packing Heat
. See also The Other Wiki
's page on the subject
Note that this page describes a genre, not a character trope.
Individual examples of Girls With Guns go on The Gunslinger
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Bee Train and Koichi Mashimo in particular deserve a special recognition for popularizing the genre with their trilogy:note .
- Gunslinger Girl (though you should have known that from the title)
- The title of the intro theme to the image album is "Ragazza Col Fucile". the trope name (singular), in Italian
- More precisely, "girl with a rifle".
- The series could almost count as a Deconstruction of the genre, with the girls becoming badass Child Soldiers though extreme mental conditioning and cyberization, drastically shortening their lifespan to the point that none of them will live to see 18. There's a good amount of good old-fashioned ass-kicking, but the series is mostly about playing the premise for all the tragedy it's worth.
- Dirty Pair (probably kicked off the genre, at least within anime)
- Gunsmith Cats
- Kite (and Kite Liberator, too)
- Najica Blitz Tactics and Agent Aika.
- Burst Angel
- Shirow Masamune obviously has a fetish for Girls With Guns: though the boys get to play as well, the main characters in his books are usually female, and spend much of their time toting, and being awesome with, guns. (Or in one case, tanks). Some of his works:
- Mezzo Forte and Mezzo DSA
- Early Reins: Die Hard on a train, in The Wild West, with six girls with guns as the heroes.
- Black Lagoon has Revy, Roberta, Balalaika, and the entire church of violence. Practically every fighter that survives for more than a episode is a woman. Fetish, anyone?
- Upotte is about girls who ARE guns.
- Girls und Panzer has girls playing with very big guns...on tanks!
- Tokurei Sochi Dantai Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C 3 Bu is about a Japanese School Club revolving around guns usage and mock battles.
Live Action TV
- Revolution: Charlotte "Charlie" Matheson started out as an archer with a bow and arrow. By episode 10, she has dropped that weapon in favour of guns.
- The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The title character is a girl who's harder than nuclear nails. A female cyborg often acts as her partner.
- Ĉon Flux is based around the titular hot female assassin.