Creator: Saoirse Ronan
Saoirse Una Ronan (born April 12, 1994; her name is prounounced "Seer-sha" and is the Irish Gaelic word for "freedom") is an Irish film actress best known for her roles in Atonement (for which she recieved an Academy Award nomination) and The Lovely Bones. She is known for her portrayal of mature characters, who rarely are Irish.
- Atonement as Briony Tallis
- I Could Never Be Your Woman as Izzie Hanson
- City of Ember as Lina Mayfleet
- The Lovely Bones as Susie Salmon
- The Way Back as Irena
- Hanna as Hanna Heller
- The Host as Melanie Stryder
- Violet & Daisy as Daisy
- Byzantium as Eleanor
- How I Live Now as Daisy
- The Grand Budapest Hotel as Agatha
- Brooklyn as Eilis Lacey.
This actress provides examples of:
- Child Prodigy: Adopted a perfect Fake American accent in her first film at age twelve - I Could Never Be Your Woman and was nominated for an Oscar only two years later.
- Contractual Purity: Her parents would only allow her to play Susie in The Lovely Bones if the book's graphic rape scene wasn't included in the film. Besides that she shockingly enough has never had much of a family friendly image. Films like I Could Never Be Your Woman, Atonement, The Way Back and Hanna helped avoid this. The only remotely family friendly project she did as a child star was City of Ember.
- Dyeing for Your Art: She's a redhead in Byzantium◊ and The Host◊ and light blonde in How I Live Now◊.
- Fake Nationality: Her specialty. Saoirse has played English, Scottish, Polish and Finnish characters. She's also played a couple of Americans but since she was born in New York (to Irish parents) that may or may not count. Her role as Agatha in The Grand Budapest Hotel is the first time she's used her real accent in a film (although her character is actually a citizen of a fictional Central European country). She finally gets to play an Irish character in the film Brooklyn.
- She pokes fun at this in an interview. After stating she's originally from New York she states that "you can tell by my accent."
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay: She says that Irish people normally pronounce her name "seer-sha" but she would pronounce it "ser-sha", similar to 'inertia'.
- Playing Against Type: Hanna is easily her most physical role.
- Star-Making Role: Briony Tallis in Atonement.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously: In her teens she appeared in a string of films that were panned but her performances were consistently praised.
- What Could Have Been:
- Auditioned for the role of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter, which went to Evanna Lynch.
- Turned down the role of Lyra in The Golden Compass because she didn't want such a long-term commitment to a project. Fears turned out to be unfounded anyway, as the film wasn't successful enough to warrant a full trilogy.
- Auditioned for the part of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games.
- She had to turn down the part of Tauriel in The Hobbit because of other commitments. She was also in talks to play Itaril but when she backed out, the character was ultimately cut from the film.
- Was very nearly reunited with Keira Knightley for Anna Karenina but couldn't do it.