Saoirse Una Ronan (born April 12, 1994; her name is prounounced "Seer-sha" and is the Irish Gaelic word for "freedom") is an Irish film actress best known for her roles in Atonement, Brooklyn, (for which she received Academy Award nominations) and The Lovely Bones. She is known for her portrayal of mature characters, who rarely are Irish. Has constantly vied for success outside of Ireland, but hasn't quite made it— she tried out for Luna Lovegood, Katniss Everdeen, Tauriel and Rey.
- Atonement as Briony Tallis
- I Could Never Be Your Woman as Izzie Hanson
- City of Ember as Lina Mayfleet
- The Lovely Bones as Susie Salmon
- The Way Back as Irena
- Hanna as Hanna Heller
- The Host as Melanie Stryder
- Violet & Daisy as Daisy
- Byzantium as Eleanor
- How I Live Now as Daisy
- The Grand Budapest Hotel as Agatha
- Brooklyn as Eilis Lacey.
This actress provides examples of:
- Child Prodigy: Adopted a perfect Fake American accent in her first film at age twelve - I Could Never Be Your Woman and was nominated for an Oscar only two years later.
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay: She says that Irish people normally pronounce her name "seer-sha" but she would pronounce it "ser-sha", similar to 'inertia'.