Creator: Emma Watson
"Hermione just stole all of our shit."
Emma Charlotte Duerre Watson is a British actress, born in France on April 15th, 1990. Best known for playing Hermione in the Harry Potter movies. She is following up the Potter series with a small role in My Week With Marilyn, the Princess Pea in The Tale of Despereaux and the female lead in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. She acted in Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring and in Darren Aronofsky's 2014 Biblical epic film, Noah. She was tapped to play Beauty in a Guillermo del Toro version of Beauty and the Beast. The project fell through and she has now been cast instead as Belle in an upcoming live-action adaptation of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.As of July 2014, she is also a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, campaigning for womens' rights and gender equality.Not to be confused with Emily Watson or Emma Thompson, both of whom are old enough to be her mother (but aren't, just so we're clear).
Tropes that apply to this actor include:
- Adaptational Attractiveness/Progressively Prettier: In the books, in the earlier books Hermione is described as looking rather plain. Emma is not. However, in later books (from the Yule Ball in book 4 henceforth) Hermione grows up attractive (and has her large teeth magically fixed), and is described as beautiful, with various characters at the Yule Ball shocked by the change. So Emma's appearance and that of the books-Hermione are rather inconsistent in early films (the detail about the teeth was completely ignored by director Chris Columbus) but are MUCH more consistent in later movies.
- Ascended Fangirl: Emma was a fan of the Harry Potter books before she was cast as Hermione.
- Adam Westing: Appearing along with many other celebrities as humorous versions of themselves in the apocalyptic comedy This Is the End (2013) starring James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill. The trailer shows her breaking into Franco's house with an axe and threatening Franco and his friends if they don't give her all they have to drink:Emma: I AM NOT FUCKING AROUND!!Danny McBride (later to video camera): "Hermione just stole all of our shit."
- Character Tics: Her infamous "eyebrow acting".
- Covered in Gunge: She and Rupert Grint had this happen to them (she got it worse) live on American TV.
- Dumb Is Good: Has spoken out against this trope, claiming there are too many stupid girls in the media. She has said that she hopes the popularity of Hermione will encourage girls and let them know it's okay to be intelligent.
- Fake American: Her roles in The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Bling Ring.
- Fascinating Eyebrow: Her eyebrows can act, even over-act, by themselves.
- I Am Not Spock: Along with almost everyone else to act in the Harry Potter series. Also like Leonard Nimoy before her, Watson was the only member of the central trio to consider leaving the franchise before its end. And just like Nimoy, got a much better deal out of it for her remaining time.
- Ivy League: Graduated in May 2014 from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Large Ham: At first, but she's gotten more nuanced by now.
- One of Us:
- She has said that her way of escaping is just reading and going to school, and her grades rival Hermione's (which makes sense—she got into Brown, after all).
- To acquaint himself with his lead actors, Alfonso Cuaron (director of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) had the three actors write an essay on their characters. One wrote a 16 page essay. One wrote a 1 page essay. One didn't do it at all. Guess which one she was.note Additionally Emma came close to leaving after the fifth film due to worrying about attending college. She then noted how it was such a Hermione thing to do.
- She also apparently became quite addicted to Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time during filming of one of the Potter films.
- Oxbridge: Was a visiting student at Worcester College, Oxford, during the 2011-12 academic year.
- Playing Against Type: From playing very British Badass Bookworm Hermione Granger to a vapid, Rich Bitch, Spoiled Brat American in Sofia Coppola's movie about The Bling Ring.
- Playing with Character Type: The Perks of Being a Wallflower, as she is playing a clever, plucky Girl Next Door.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: Her American accent in The Bling Ring might sound a little odd - but it's a near spot-on recreation of Alexis Neiers's voice (the girl on whom her character Nikki is based).
- Smurfette Breakout: The female lead of the Harry Potter film series and has received the most public attention - as well as celebrity endorsements.