This Is the End
is an action comedy film directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen
, and written by Rogen, Goldberg and Jason Stone. The film stars James Franco
, Jonah Hill
, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel
, Danny McBride and Craig Robinson as fictional versions of themselves in the aftermath of a global apocalypse.
Not to be confused with The World's End
View the Red Band trailer here
This film contains examples of:
- Reality Ensues: When Jonah gets raped by a demon it's played for Black Comedy. But he seems visibly shaken by it. He even skirts around talking about it on the Confession Cam, only mentioning something along the lines of "...something not cool happened last night..."
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Danny gives one to each actor in the house concerning their acting abilities, except Jay, who Danny then reveals that he knew that Jay, who claims to hate being in L.A. and its lifestyle, two months before the events of the film, relaxing at the Four Seasons, calling him out as the biggest hypocrite of the group.
- Reckless Gun Usage: James Franco and Jonah Hill both toss around, idly gesture with and generally mishandle what Franco has established is a fully loaded gun. The others are understandably grossly perturbed by this. Subverted in that Franco knew the gun was filled with blanks. Doubly subverted because even blanks can permanently injure or kill you, especially at point blank range.
- Red Herring: At first, Jonah Hill's mention of his LBS (Low Blood Sugar) would come into play but it never does. When Hill has a seizure, Seth and James make the assumption that its one of these, but he's actually being possessed by a demon.
- Redemption Equals Death: Played with; Craig and Seth intend to sacrifice themselves for others, which actually leads to them being raptured. James tries this, but because he made the mistake of cursing out and flipping off Danny and his band of cannibals while being raptured, thus performing the sins of Vanity and Pride in the middle of being raptured, he got his rapture canceled.
- Satan: The Prince of Darkness himself makes an appearance, and he's as big as a skyscraper - and anatomically correct.
- Scare Chord: Played for Laughs when Jonah Hill suddenly appears during the "Can't sleep" scene.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Craig.
- Self-Deprecation: The whole movie paints Hollywood celebs as a bunch of vain, self-centered idiots, and was made by Hollywood celebs. Best exemplified when the Rapture happens and no one at James Franco's party notices because no one there gets Raptured.
- Sex Slave: Channing Tatum.
- Sexual Karma: Jonah.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Pretty much the entire cast.
- Smug Snake: James when he's about to be raptured. It ends up biting him in the ass, big time.
- Smurfette Principle: Emma Watson is the only female with a role after the Apocalypse and the one with the largest role by far, which might account for her popularity in this movie
- Stealth Pun: The devil got inside him.
- Stylistic Suck: The homemade trailer of Pineapple Express 2 the guys make to pass the time understandably has poor production values.
- Sugary Malice: Jonah Hill, especially towards Jay.
- Take That:
- Danny has a go at Jonah and Seth for their bad acting and comments that the night wasn't a complete loss since Michael Cera is dead.
- Everybody begs Danny and Franco to never make a sequel to Your Highness.
- Token Evil Teammate: Danny, and how.
- Token Good Teammate: Craig is less of a Jerkass when compared to his own friends. Proven since he is the first to ascend and the only one to not know that it was actually possible.
- Token Minority: Craig.
- Trailers Always Lie: The first trailers imply that that the apocalypse was started by aliens, with the beams of light from the sky teleporting people up and an ambiguously reptilian possibly alien creature that is seen once. It's actually more biblical in scale
- Trailers Always Spoil: The deaths of Jason Segel, Aziz Ansari, Rihanna, David Krumholtz, and Michael Cera are shown in the second Red Band trailer though none of these are major plot points.
- Jonah Hill getting possessed was shown in later television commercials, and that was a major plot point because it marks the point when things go From Bad to Worse.
- Uh-Oh Eyes/Supernatural Gold Eyes: Possessed!Jonah sports these and they even glow in some scenes.
- Understatement: "Something not that chill happened last night."
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: The only reason the main characters are stuck on Earth is because they were too awful to be raptured to Heaven.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Happens towards the end when James Franco chooses to sacrifice himself so Seth and Jay could escape from Danny and his band of cannibals, knowing he'll be raptured. And it actually starts to work!... Till he makes the mistake of flipping off and calling Danny's group every vulgar thing in the book, resulting in his rapture being canceled and his death. Then Seth and Jay discuss how a "sore winner" is hard to redeem.
- Visual Pun: Heterosexual Life-Partners Seth Rogen and James Franco at one point end up in a closet together.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: In one scene a demon-possessed Jonah Hill pukes black bile all over Seth Rogen and James Franco.
- Vulgar Humor: A few accounts of it, such as a long argument regarding Danny's ejaculation.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Emma Watson's fate is unknown, as is Paul Rudd's, who was last seen running off in horror when the sinkhole appeared, with a bottle of champagne after stepping on and crushing a woman's head by mistake.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Emma Watson thinks they are in a Zombie Apocalypse.
- You Shall Not Pass: "TAKE YO PANTIES OFF!"