Channing Matthew Tatum (born April 26, 1980) is an American actor, film producer, dancer, and model. He is best known for his roles in the films Step Up
, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
, Dear John
, The Vow
, 21 Jump Street
, and Magic Mike
. He has also appeared in films such as Coach Carter
, She's The Man
, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints
, The Dilemma
, The Eagle
, G.I. Joe: Retaliation
, and White House Down
He appeared in
- The Cast Show Off: Attending military school was able to make him be comfortable in doing action films. His dancing is remarkable, as can be seen in movies like Magic Mike and Step Up.
- Dull Surprise: A common complaint of his early works is that he doesn't show a lot of emotions. His later productions where he moved away from his typecast role as a meathead have averted this, as he's come into his own as an actor, leading to critical acclaim in works such as Foxcatcher.
- Mr. Fanservice: Tends to do Shirtless Scenes.
- Playing Against Type: He's pretty solidly typecast as an action hero, but some films have gone out of their way to subvert this. Of note is This Is The End, where he plays Danny's willing gimp (As Himself, no less).
- Romance on the Set: Met his current wife on the set of Step Up.
- Those Two Actors: Has starred with Jonah Hill in three films: 21 Jump Street, This Is the End, and 22 Jump Street. They also both had parts in The Lego Movie.
- What Could Have Been: Auditioned for the role of Gambit in X-Men: The Last Stand before the role was eliminated. The role was later given to Taylor Kitsch for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. After X-Men: Days of Future Past, it was announced that Tatum would be taking Kitsch's role as Gambit going forward, starting with X-Men: Apocalypse.