Creator: J. Michael Tatum
J. Michael Tatum (May 25, 1976) is one of the newer American voice actors and ADR directors working for FUNimation
. Notably breaking out with Kyoya of Ouran High School Host Club
, his roles seem to have an academic, calm, cool, and collected theme...though that can break
every once in a while. He was also one of the co-hosts of That Anime Show
with Terri Doty.
Is known to be a huge nerd
who is particularly enamored with classy things like Literature with a capital L. Namely, really thick books and William Shakespeare
. He once read Beowulf
in Old English. This works to his advantage whenever they need a script writer for a show with tons of intellectual content or sophisticated grammar (Hero Tales
, Ouran High School Host Club
). However, he is also a fan of many other considerably more intellectual things, such as Doctor Who
. He is the only dub cast member of Axis Powers Hetalia
who can actually speak the native tongue of his assigned character authentically; France (aside from America and England, of course).
Not entirely unlike a Texas equivalent of Crispin Freeman
; both actors have a very similar vocal range, both play similar characters, both are anime fans themselves, both share a similar academic/intellectual bent off-the-job, and both have dubbed roles originally voiced by Koichi Yamadera
as well as Daisuke Ono
. He may also be the Texan equivalent to Liam O Brien
and Keith Silverstein
, as they both are known for their villain and/or The Stoic
typecast and have comparable vocal ranges. Also the Texas equivalent of Japan's Junichi Suwabe
and Daisuke Ono
, and Canada's Michael Adamthwaite
and Paul Dobson note
Has a Twitter account
Notable roles from J. Michael Tatum:
Tropes concerning Michael and his roles:
- Adorkable: In real life. However, he tends not to play these characters very often in fiction because of the lower register of his voice.
- Badass Baritone: Particularly as Scar.
- Cluster F-Bomb: On That Anime Show, though it's a bit less noticeable with Terri as the co-host.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Kyoya and Tobias. Sebastian falls more under Affably Evil.
- Fake Brit: Has a very good British accent, as Black Butler, Borderlands 2, and Ouran show.
- Large Ham: Eneru, William, Isaac, France, Okabe.
- Gentle Giant: 6'3ft and a 1/2, Tatum is possibly one of the nicest people in the voice acting industry. (This troper isn't joking, Mr Tatum is possibly the most sweetest man you could meet. He's super jolly, sweet and incredibly friendly to his fans)
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Sebastian, while Affably Evil, is still Evil with a capital E, and somewhat terrifying (unless you're an obsessive fangirl). However, Mr. Tatum is one of the friendliest, sweetest, funniest men you could ever hope to meet.
- The Nicknamer: He gives all his guest-stars a nickname on That Anime Show.
- One of Us: Pretty big Doctor Who fanboy to say the least, and he did not turn down the chance to be on Pokémon even if it meant flying to New York. He has quoted Family Guy on a few occasions. One episode of Space Dandy has his character, Dr. Gel, start reciting a Madness Mantra of "Who's the Doctor?" over and over again. These lines were written in for his character because he's a Whovian.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Either The Stoic or the Villain. However...
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Fans will argue that his voice work as France in Hetalia (which requires him to pull off a French accent) helped his vocal range greatly. The director of the dub said Tatum was the only cast member who could actually do an authentic accent of his character, even though he wanted him to go with an exaggerated, Strawman, funny one.
- Compare his roles as Age and Kraft Lawrence and see if you can tell that's the same man.
- He had a speech impediment as a child and was trained to talk properly under a woman from the UK. Explains a lot.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Terri Doty.
- Purple Prose
- Relationship Voice Actor: With Brina Palencia, who constantly plays pranks on him. Recently, he tried to take revenge, but his prank deflated and Brina lost interest in continuing.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Or, in layman's terms, "knows dur big wordz!" He is able to spout versatile diatribes if he wants. Just have a listen to the Borderlands 2 trailers for an example of how amazing it is.
- Star-Making Role: Scar in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
- The Stoic: Some of his characters are like this, particularly Kyoya.
- Stoic Spectacles: Kyoya and Scar, not to mention his own.
- Straight Gay: Oh yes. He lived with his then-boyfriend for 12 years. It never gets in the way of his career because he believes that it's a non-issue. In fact, he has more than a few fangirls who love him for this just as much as they love him for being Sebastian.
- Villain: If he's not voicing a stoic, then he's most likely to voice a villain. Some of the well known villains he voiced included an anti-villain turned anti-hero, an Ax Crazy villain, and recently a villain protagonist. According to him, this is one of his favorite tropes he like to voice with.