Possibly one of the best voice actresses in the Houston area, Monica Rial has been featured in many anime dubs. Her most notable roles are Sakura in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
and Lyra in Fullmetal Alchemist
. But she is really remembered for doing the "What is anime?" ADV Films
commercial. She has also actually been near◊ Chris-chan.
Poor girl. Also notable for her very distinctive voice, which is actually her real voice. Yes, it really is
She normally plays quiet girls, but has recently started adding Yandere
or all-around creepy girls to her resume. Occasionally she breaks out a husky, deep voice for Action Girl
types (Jo from Burst Angel
being the most famous example).
She is also one of the writers for FUNimation
and the now defunct ADV Films
. She does ADR directing as well.She is often cast alongside Luci Christian
(Notably in Full Metal Panic!
and Azumanga Daioh
), and Brittney Karbowski
(Notably in Cat Planet Cuties
and Soul Eater
Her possible L.A. counterpart is Stephanie Sheh
, whose normal speaking voicing is similar to Monica's.
Has a Twitter account
Monica has a younger sister, Natalie, who made her debut as a voice actress in 2013 in the anime Girls und Panzer
Notable roles by Monica Rial:
- Ai in Crayon Shin-chan
- Ame-chan, the mascot of Amecon, one the UK's biggest conventions. At which she is a regular guest.
- Amy Yeager (Ayumi Yoshida) in Case Closed
- Angelica in Gunslinger Girl
- Aoi Futaba in Cat Planet Cuties
- Head Teacher Ariel in Is This a Zombie?
- Asa Shigure in SHUFFLE!
- Attia Simmons in Freezing
- Aya in Kodocha
- Ayumi Youme in Best Student Council
- Belarus and Fem!Britain in Axis Powers Hetalia
- Bulma in Dragon Ball Kai and the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies
- Chane Laforet in Baccano!
- Chihiro Shindou in ef - a fairy tale of the two.
- Daedalus in Heaven's Lost Property
- Doll in Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar
- Enri Granitz in Fractale
- Erica Blandelli in Campione!
- Eve Tokimatsuri in Megazone 23
- Falis in Murder Princess
- Felli Loss in Chrome Shelled Regios
- Fiore in Chrono Crusade
- Gruier Serenity and Luca Kaoru in Bodacious Space Pirates
- The "Guilt Gun" (also known as the XKCD gun) and the voice of the Tediore company in Borderlands 2
- Haruka in RahXephon
- Hazuki in Moon Phase
- Hello Kitty/Kitty White in Hello Kitty's Animation Theatre
- Himari Takakura and the Crystal Princess in Penguin Drum
- Himemiko in Kamisama Kiss
- Houki Shinonono in Infinite Stratos
- Hyatt in Excel♥Saga
- Index in A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun
- Iris Eris in The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
- Izumi Himoru in Princess Nine
- Jo in Burst Angel (Went to audition for Amy, but the director declared that role open to everyone but her.)
- Kamado Ueshita (The Eighth) in Future Diary
- Kanami Ishizaki in Darker Than Black
- Karina in Girls und Panzer
- Karuta Roromiya in Inu X Boku SS
- Kirika Yumura in Noir
- Konoka Konoe, Kazumi Asakura, and Satsuki Yotsuba in Mahou Sensei Negima!
- Kuina, Tashigi, and Karue in One Piece
- Kurau in Kurau Phantom Memory
- Kuzuha Doumoto in Hagure Yūsha no Estetica
- Kyouko Toikawa in Full Metal Panic!
- Lara González and Kozue Mihara in School Rumble
- Lirio in El Cazador de la Bruja
- Lumiere in Kiddy Grade
- Lyra and young Dante in Fullmetal Alchemist
- Mail and Tail in Heroic Age
- Maki in My Bride Is a Mermaid
- Maria in Witchblade
- Mariya Shidou in Maria†Holic (And her voice was pretty low pitched for the boy voice, instead of using her usual high pitched voice).
- Mayaya in Princess Jellyfish
- Megumi Kobayashi in Welcome to the NHK
- Mei Misaki in Another
- Mey-Rin in Black Butler
- Michiko Malandro in Michiko And Hatchin (She played the role with a low pitched voice instead of her usual nasally high pitched voice)
- Miharu in Gasaraki
- Mii Fujibakama in Date A Live
- Mina Tepes in Dance in the Vampire Bund
- Minamo "Nyamo" Kurosawa in Azumanga Daioh
- Mirajane Strauss in Fairy Tail
- Miria in Claymore
- Misuzu Kamio in Air
- Miya Asama in Sekirei
- Momoka Nishizawa in Keroro Gunsou
- Momoko Koigakubo in Ghost Stories
- Ms. 'Splosion Man in Ms. 'Splosion Man
- Noa in Eureka Seven AO
- Octavia in Tears to Tiara
- Okoi in Basilisk
- Otoha in Genesis of Aquarion
- Pheles in Shakugan no Shana
- Q in [C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
- Renge Houshakuji in Ouran High School Host Club
- Ringo in Casshern Sins
- Ringo Akai in Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
- Rio Takeuchi in Spiral
- Saki in Steel Angel Kurumi
- Saki Amase in Corpse Princess
- Sakura in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
- Sara in Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing
- Sayaka "#6" Suzuki in Pani Poni Dash!
- Shiro in Deadman Wonderland
- Shizuka in Jinki Extend (Playing Against Type, epicly)
- Shizuka Marikawa in High School Of The Dead
- Simca the Swallow in Air Gear
- Stocking Anarchy in Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
- Susan in High School D×D
- Tamayo Kizaki in Angelic Layer
- Tetsuko in Super Milk Chan (Also appears as herself in live-action segments of the Gag Dub)
- Tomoko Kuroki in No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular
- Tsubaki Nakatsukasa in Soul Eater
- Tsugumi in Guilty Crown
- Vanessa Walsh in Trinity Blood
- Yukari Sendou in Rosario + Vampire
- Yutori Takamagahara in Aria the Scarlet Ammo
- Yuuka Ichijou in AKB0048
- Yuzuha in Utawarerumono
- Zerul in Origin: Spirits of the Past
Tropes Relating to Monica Rial:
- Jerkass: She has played several jerks, such as Izumi Himoru, and Mariya Shidou.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: At the start of her career, most of the characters she voiced are either Cute Clumsy Girls, Shrinking Violets, or Token Mini-Moe due to her naturally high-pitched voice. She later branches out of these roles and more into Action Girls and Yanderes, and some of the later have roles involving her using a deeper voice. Regardless, she's still typecast in these characters from time to time.
- Playing Against Type: She normally has a high pitched, nasally voice, so this trope comes into effect when she's voicing someone with a lower pitched voice. Notable examples include Mariya Shidou from Maria†Holic (when he's speaking in his boy voice), Jo from Burst Angel, and Michiko Malandro from Michiko And Hatchin.
- Relationship Voice Actor: She has been cast alongside either Luci Christian or Brittney Karbowski ocassionally. She also co-starred with Jessica Calvello in three different animes.
- Token Mini-Moe: She is one of the few voice actresses to specialize in voicing lolis in both FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks dubs. In fact, she originally auditioned to voice Amy, but was later recast as Jo.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: While she's known to use a naturally high-pitched voice normally for lolis, she's capable of pulling off a deeper voice when necessary.
I... have reached the goal...