Brittney Karbowski (born June 26, 1986) is a voice actress working primarily for (as of now) FUNimation
; she worked frequently with ADV Films
in the past (From 2005 to its closing in 2009). She also works on occasion for Seraphim Digital Studios
on dubs produced by Sentai Filmworks
. Perhaps her best-known role is that of Black Star from Soul Eater
...most fans agree that the "girly-ness" has disappeared from her voice a few episodes in. She is also known for her roles as Selim Bradley in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
, Ikaros in Heaven's Lost Property
, and Himeko Katagiri in Pani Poni Dash!
She is often cast alongside Monica Rial
. Her Californian counterparts are Cassandra Lee
(as they both tend to play teen girls with either an ego or a short temper) and Ben Diskin
(who is her Spear Counterpart
Tropes associated with Brittney Karbowski:
- Crossdressing Voices: Notably as Black Star and Selim Bradley.
- This is actually a recent development, because Black Star was her very first male role. She admitted at a panel that this was unintentional, because she was just mocking her little brother's voice at the audition and didn't expect the director to take it seriously.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Most of the characters she voices happen to be young teenage girls with a short temper or have a large ego.
- Star-Making Role: As Himeko in Pani Poni Dash! (specifically for Houston based dubbing), and as Black Star from Soul Eater (for FUNimation based dubs).
- Tsundere: She does have tsundere roles to boot. Example goes to Yuri, Misaka, Yoshida, Cecilia, and Rin.
- Token Mini-Moe: Lolis aren't exactly her main forte, but have been recently getting a few. Some examples include Last Order, Alice, Anko, Noa, Wendy, and Yoshino Hide.
- In fact, three of her loli roles note were shared by Rina Hidaka, a Japanese voice actress who is also known to voice these kinds of characters.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: Despite being more pigeonholed in Tsundere characters, she has played a few other characters with a few different ranges of voice acting, from energetic genki girls like Himeko Katagiri, to aggressive boys such as Black Star, to an Emotionless Girl, Ikaros in Heaven's Lost Property, to voicing higher pitched voiced characters like Wendy and Orine Aida, to even voicing a British character, Cecilia Alcott, in Infinite Stratos.