Mobile Suit Gundam École du Ciel (Tenku no Gakko) note is a manga series written and illustrated by Haruhiko Mikimoto, starting publication sometime in 2002. One of its most notable characteristics is that it is only the second Gundam story to have a female protagonist. (Gundam 0080 has a female Gundam pilot, but she's not the main character. The first is Tiel's Impulse, in which the main protagonist is a 14 year old girl.)The story starts just as the events of Gundam 0083 concludes and the Titans are formed amidst apparent hostilities between Earthnoids and Spacenoids. Enter our heroine — Asuna Elmarit — enrolling into the distinguished military academy "Ecole du Ciel", training to become a mobile suit pilot. Of course, that's not what she really wants to do but she may not have a choice in the matter as the Titans have taken an interest in her due to her father's research - who has been missing since the One Year War.Is currently an Ongoing Series.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Asuna and Marie, primarily. Which marks a notable departure from Gundam tradition, as Asuna is only the second female protagonist of Gundam to date.
- Ax-Crazy: Erisia, post-Time Skip.
- Bridge Bunny
- The Captain: Marie, of her space pirates gang. Then there's Bernardo Ferre.
- Continuity Nod: All over the place. Aside from the Titans, there are references to Anaheim Electronics and when the timeline crosses into Zeta Gundam, there is a passing reference to the Gundam Mk-II theft that starts that series as well as a snippet of
CharQuattro's Dakar speech.
- Cross Over: The timeline crosses a little bit into Zeta Gundam.
- Fantastic Racism: Asuna faces a lot of this in the short snippet where she enrolls into "Ecole Du Ciel" due to being from Zeon.
- Fragile Speedster: Mecha designer Yoshinori Sayama describes the Le Cygne as a "Kunoichi Gundam". It can't tank shots well, but has exceptional mobility.
- Geo Effects: Asuna pilots really well in space. On Earth or in a colony, however, she's not so good.
- Gratuitous French: The titular Ecole du Ciel, plus the GM Canard, the Le Cygne and the Gemeaux mobile suits. Justified by the Ecole du Ciel being located in Canada.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: At one point, the Titans take Asuna's mother hostage and demand Asuna in exchange.
- Hot-Blooded: Francis.
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: Francis has these. Figures.
- Lady of War: Marie fits this. Erisia probably would have grown into one, except the Titans got to her first.
- Lethal Chef: Asuna.
- Humongous Mecha: It's a Gundam series, duh.
- Psychic Powers: This is Universal Century Gundam. There will be Newtypes. More prominently, Asuna, Marie, Akira and post-Time Skip Erisia (see below), among others.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: "Happy Birthday to You" seems to be playing as Marie's pirates are being decimated.
- Space Pirate: Marie's Pirates, enough said.
- Token Mini-Moe: Juna.
- Tyke Bomb: Asuna and Akira are Tyke Bombs trained by Zeon, sometime during the One Year War.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Sometime during the Time Skip, Erisia becomes a Cyber-Newtype. Anyone familiar with Zeta Gundam will know what that means.