Set during Mobile Suit Gundam
's One Year War, The Plot to Assassinate Gihren
(Kidou Senshi Gundam Giren Ansatsu Keikaku
) is a manga that ran from October 2007 to March 2010. Based on the Real Life
Operation: Valkyrie, and the television film, The Plot to Kill Hitler
, the manga details life on the Principality of Zeon
's homefront during the final days of the OYW.
The story begins with military washout and police detective Leopold Fieseler of the Public Safety Department investigating a series of attacks on high-ranking public officials. When Leopold's friend Elise Anne Finnegan stumbles onto a computer transmitter linking the bombings to a far larger plot to kill Commander-in-Chief Gihren Zabi
and come to a peace with The Federation
, the race is on to unmask the members of the gang (dubbed Valkyrie), including their leader, the mysterious Reginlief. As Leopold becomes more and more enmeshed in the underbelly of Zeonic politics however, he finds more questions than answers.
- Antihero: Leopold and his allies.
- Antivillain: Most of the conspiritors simply want an end to the war with The Federation, and the return of some freedoms to the population. It's their methods that make them the villains.
- Badass Army: Zeon's Capital Defence Division, which pretends to be a joke. The Royal Guard would be another example.
- Big Bad: Depending on how you want to look at it either Reginlief (who heads the conspiracy against Gihren) or Cecilia Irene (who heads his supporters). They're eventually revealed to be one and the same.
- Bigger Bad: Gihren himself, who never appears in-story, but whose presence hangs over the entire manga like a cloud. Kycilia also qualifies, though to a lesser degree.
- Dating Catwoman : Elise is part of Valkyrie
- Designated Hero: Leo and he isn't amused by that idea.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After all that happens to both on Leopold and Elise involving the conspiracy, they are revealed in the epilogue to have not only earned a decent place in the post-Zabi government, but also live long enough to witness Char's Neo-Zeon rise to power. They also become lovers.
- End of an Age: There's something of this feel to it, as the Zabi family's rule comes to an end.
- Everyone Is a Suspect: Leopold's investigation leads him to suspect Henri Schlesser, Lance Garfield, Cecilia Irene, Elise Anne Finnegan, and his own grandfather, among others, as various points. He also suspects that the conspiracy extends throughout the police force and the military, meaning that quite literally everybody is a suspect until proven otherwise.
- Everybody Did It: Not quite, but by the end, almost everyone Leopold randomly suspects of having been involved in the plot, is indeed, involved in the plot—often while being unaware of one another's roles. This includes most named characters who are not Leopold himself.
- Evil vs. Evil: The entire premise involves a terrorist group who has no problems with blowing up officials in public areas in broad daylight facing off against the oppressive Zeon government. There's also the Gihren/Kycilia rivalry which is heating up in the background.
- False Flag Operation: Valkyrie in its entirety turns out to be one of these.
- Foregone Conclusion: Anyone familiar with the original show knows that the conspirators won't get Gihren since he has to make it to A Baoa Qu to murder his father and be killed by his sister.
- Gambit Pileup: with Leopolds grandpa as winner
- Genre Shift: Thriller or mecha action?
- Gone Horribly Right: Cecilia and Gihren concoted the plot to draw his political enemies out into the open. Thanks to some highly-placed double agents, the conspiracy ends up going a little too well for Cecilia's liking, resulting in the near loss of the capital by the time that news of Gihren's death arrives from the front.
- Irony: Gihren tries to frame his sister Kycilia for trying to murder him. Guess who kills him in the penultimate episode of MSG.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: There are elements of this in the final confrontation between Lance Garfield and Filius Stream.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: All of Zeon is this to one degree or another, with the state representing a cross between Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. Gihren's loyalists take it to greater extremes than others.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Henri Schlesser's Capital Defence Divison, which pretends to be a weak unit composed entirely of crippled veterans. In reality they're the match of nearly any unit in the Principality.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Project Valkyrie
- Praetorian Guard: The Royal Guard, and in particular, Gihren Zabi's personal branch of it play a fairly major role in the story.
- Putting on the Reich: All of Zeon does this, and the Royal Guard more than most.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: Operation: Valkyrie with mecha!
- Red Herring: Everywhere.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Subverted. We know from the start that the conspiracy won't kill Gihren. However, it does force a change in Zeon's government and helps to end the war after Gihren and Kycilia are both dead.
- Twist Ending: The entire plot was a fakeout by Gihren and Cecilia Irene, meant to frame his sister Kycilia and give him an excuse to crack down on his political rivals.
- Weather Control Machine: Used as very useful weapon.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue
- Whole Plot Reference: To The Plot to Kill Hitler.