The heir to the Zeonic corporation, Leopold is a failed soldier who washed out of basic training on Earth and was shipped back to Side 3. Assigned to investigate the recent rash of bombings, he uncovers the plot against Gihren, and winds up in a lot of trouble.
- Antihero: Type I.
- The Atoner: Wants to expose the plot against Gihren in order to make up for his own failures as a soldier.
- Badass Longcoat: Invokes the image, though it takes him a while to become truly badass.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Elise
- The Cynic
- Defective Detective: A milder example than most, but his failure as a soldier clearly weighs him down.
- Detective Patsy: Reginlief isn't trying to pin the crime on Leopold; however, like David Schiller before him, Leo is being used by the government to frame its enemies.
- Man in White: Wears a white suit coat and pants.
- Took a Level in Badass: By the end, when he figures out the plot and confronts Cecilia.
- Unwitting Pawn: Spends a lot of time dancing to the tune that Cecilia has laid out for him.
- UST: With Elise.
Elise Anne FinneganA close friend of Leopold's from when they were children, she currently works in Cecilia's office.
Brigadier-General Henri SchlesserCommanding officer of Zeon's Capital Defence Division, Schlesser is a respected officer and Zeon Deikun loyalist. From early on, it is strongly hinted that he is involved in the Valkyrie plot.
- Antivillain: Seeks to return Zeon to what it's founders intended.
- Badass Beard
- The Brigadier: In spite of everything else, yes.
- Comic Book Fantasy Casting: Based on French actor Jean Reno.
- A Father to His Men
- Four-Star Badass
Lance GarfieldLeopold's one-time commanding officer, Lance lost an arm in combat, and is now a member of Schlesser's Capital Defence Division.
- Ace Custom: His MS-07B3 White Rose Gouf.
- Ace Pilot
- Blood Knight: As revealed in his duel with Filius.
- Broken Pedestal: To Leo
- Cruel Mercy: Deliberately avoids forcing a Mutual Kill in his battle with Filius, but leaves the kid knowing he could have.
- Death Seeker: Would seem to be.
- The Dragon: To Schlesser
- Handicapped Badass: Still an immense badass, despite the loss of his arm.
- Undying Loyalty: To Schlesser
ReginliefA mysterious figure who leads the Valkyrie plot from the shadows. He is the target of Leopold's manhunt.
- Big Bad: If you view the Valkyrie faction as the villains, than Reginlief is this.
- Big Bad Ensemble: With Cecilia Irene, head of the Gihren faction. They're the same person.
- The Chessmaster
- Diabolical Mastermind
- The Faceless: Hides behind a computer screen.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen
- The Reveal: He's Cecilia Irene, Gihren's secretary, and arranged the entire plot to expose Gihren's enemies.
- Voice with an Internet Connection
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wants to return Zeon to what it was meant to be—a beacon of hope. Will kill anyone who tries to stop him from doing so.
Gihren Zabi's secretary, aide de campe, and all around assistant, Cecilia is Elise's boss, and liasons with the general staff on Gihren's behalf. She takes an active interest in the Valkyrie case, keeping track of Leo's progress, while taking advantage of his relationship with Elise to slip him information she believes to be pertinent. Sees everything through the lenses of her, and Gihren's, political agenda.
- Badass Bureaucrat: An evil version, acting as an obstructive bureaucrat, but possessing the personality of The Baroness and the portfolio of The Spymaster.
- The Baroness: Aloof, chilly, and totally devoted to Gihren.
- Battle Butler: Clearly has some combat training, though given that she and Gihren are both members of the army, this is to be expected.
- Big Bad: If you view the Gihren faction rather than the conspirators as the villains, Cecilia is this. She's also Reginlief, and set-up the entire plot per Gihren's orders.
- Big Bad Ensemble: With Diabolical Mastermind Reginlief. Subverted when we find out she is Reginlief, and arranged most of the plot on Gihren's orders.
- The Chessmaster
- Despotism Justifies the Means: Will do anything if it means that Zeon, and more importantly, Gihren, end up ruling the world.
- Diabolical Mastermind: As Reginlief.
- The Dragon: Gihren's, in a political sense if nothing else. She acts as his Number Two, runs the army in his absence, deals with administrative trivia whilst he's out giving Rousing Speeches, and does almost all the behind the scenes dirty work.
- '80s Hair: Which is particularly glaring given that most of the other characters have more modern manga hair styles and character designs.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Of the cold and icy variety.
- Join or Die: Gives this option to Leopold, while holding him at gunpoint. He can either play ball and be the "hero" she and Gihren want him to be, or she'll shoot him on the spot.
- The Man Behind the Man: To the Valkyrie plot, through her Reginlief identity.
- Manipulative Bastard
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: All of Zeon does this, but Cecilia, like Gihren himself, is much more obvious about it.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Of the dark variety. Cecilia handles all the black operations that the rest of the brass don't like to think about.
- Secret Keeper: Gihren's keeper of the keys.
- Sexy Secretary: Downplayed. Cecilia's very attractive certainly, but her position, cold demeanour, and efficency ensure that no one treats her like a sex object.
- Silk Hiding Steel: Looks like a Proper Lady. Is actually The Baroness. The more time you spend in her company, the more obvious the latter becomes.
- The Spymaster: This seems to be a part of Cecilia's portfolio. Despite her lack of official title, most of Zeon's intelligence gathering agencies, whether military or civilian answer to her, and she's got serious influence in military intelligence, the actual intelligence agencies, and the police by way of the interior ministry.
- Stepford Smiler: Type C. If Her breakdown at the end is any indicator, Cecilia's a very damaged woman underneath her frosty exterior.
- Undying Loyalty: To Gihren. She buries all the bodies for him, effectively runs Zeon in his absence, and subordinates all her desires to his goals.
- Unholy Matrimony: Rumoured to be Gihren's mistress. This is never confirmed or disproven.
- Villainous Breakdown: After news of Gihren's death reaches her.
A member of the Royal Guard, Filius was scouted out and trained by Ace Pilot Eric Mansfield. Left behind when Mansfield heads out to the battlefield, Filius and his subordinates, Vanessa Vermillion and Gaius Xemela form the cornerstone of the Royal Guard's defence during the uprising.
- Ace Pilot: He has no combat experience, yet still has a fearsome reputation. By the end of the arc, he qualifies in the more legitimate sense as well.
- Antivillain: A remarkably sympathetic character, given that he's a member (albeit indirectly) of the Gihren faction.
- Badass Adorable: Looks about twelve years old.
- The Dreaded: The conspirators spend a great deal of time trying to figure out how to neutralise Filius and his team.
- Ensign Newbie: He has greater raw talent than any of the soldiers under his command, but has never seen combat.
- Hero Killer: More than lives up to his reputation.
- Praetorian Guard
- The Stoic
- Super Prototype: The MS-17 Galbaldy a. Never mass-produced, Filius is the only pilot known to have flown it during the OYW, with impressive results.
- Teen Genius
- Terrible Trio: Alongside Gaius and Vanessa.
- Weak, but Skilled: Filius' lack of endurance is his greatest weakness. His enormous talent almost compensates for this.
Vanessa VermillionOne of Filius' subordinates.
- Ace Custom: Pilots a modified Rick Dom.
- Ace Pilot
- Action Girl
- Praetorian Guard
- Terrible Trio: With Gaius and Filius.
Gaius XemelaFilius' other subordinate, and a longtime friend of Vanessa's.
- Ace Custom: His modified Rick Dom.
- Ace Pilot
- Goggles Do Nothing: At least nothing we're aware of.
- Praetorian Guard
- Terrible Trio: With Filius and Vanessa.
Gihren ZabiThe eldest son of the Zabi family, Commander-in-Chief of Zeon's armed forces, and the target of the assassination plot. More about him can be found on the Mobile Suit Gundam character sheet.
- Cain and Abel: With Kycilia. The entire plot is aimed at discrediting her and giving him a reason to have her arrested. And then there's the revelation that he probably had his brother Saslo/Laslo/Cicero killed before the series began.
- The Evil Prince
- Greater Scope Villain: Gihren only ever appears in the background, but his ominous presence hangs over the entire series.
- The Man Behind the Man: To Cecilia and the entire assassination plot.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Takes Adolf Hitler's place as the target of the Valkyrie plot.
- Rousing Speech: Gives a few of them, which can be seen being broadcast on viewscreens whenever Leo or the other characters are out in public.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Had David Schiller's entire family imprisoned or executed after the latter exposed a plot against him.