Characters: Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Alfred "Al" Izuruha
An eleven year old civilian living on a neutral colony, Al (and his classmates) are of the opinion that the war is the coolest thing to ever happen. Encountering Bernie by accident, he teams up with him, not really realizing the stakes involved. The consequences thereof, and his resulting Character Development
, are essentially the entire point of the series.
Bernard "Bernie" Wiseman
A rookie Zeon soldier assigned to the elite Cyclops Team commando unit, Bernie is viewed as The Load
by his teammates. However, when it comes down to him and Al as the only ones in a position to save the colony, he steps up and does his damnedest to make it happen.
Christina "Chris" Mackenzie
Al's attractive redheaded next-door neighbor, Chris is clearly fond of her younger friend. Unbeknowest to him, however, she is actually an Earth Federation officer, and the current pilot of the secret Gundam ALEX undergoing testing in the colony.
A high-ranking Gihren loyalist planted within Kycilia Zabi's mobile suit team, Killing commands Operation Rubicon from the rear. Convinced that only the total destruction of Side 6 can ensure that the Gundam ALEX never sees combat, Killing constantly pushes for the colony to be subjected to nuclear bombardment, going against his orders to make sure that it happens.
- Armchair Military: Killing never engages in any combat. He stays in the back, directing operations from there.
- Bad Boss: Some commanding officers kill you for failing. Others just don't care about casualties. Killing sabotages his own operation and deliberately arranges for the deaths of his team, solely to get permission for his own plan.
- Big Bad: Directly or indirectly responsible for every horrible thing that the heroes go through in-series.
- Bigger Bad: Killing's just the officer in command of this operation; all of Zeon is behind him, with Gihren and Kycilia as the Big Bads of the entire war.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- The Chessmaster
- Driven to Suicide: Possibly. Sidematerials reveal that in the last hours of the war, a Colonel Killing A. Danigan shot himself in front of a portrait of Gihren Zabi. Whether they are the same character or not is up for debate.
- Expy: Of his boss, arguably. They're both arrogant cold-blooded social climbers and chessmasters who murder their way into command positions, authorise the use of WMDs, and will do anything to ensure a Zeon victory. Even the character designs are rather similar.
- Forehead of Doom
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- The Heavy: Killing's actions drive most of the plot, directly and indirectly. Everything Bernie, the Cyclops Team, and Christina and Al go through is either because of, or a reaction to, Killing's actions.
- Insane Admiral: Seriously, what the Hell is in the water at the Zeon command centre? Gihren, Ginias, this guy...
- Karma Houdini: Gets out of the series alive, in a sharp contrast to all of his men.
- Klingon Promotion: Shoots his superior officer and takes command of the operation from him when the latter tries to prevent the nuclear assault on Side 6.
- Lack of Empathy: If Killing had any, he couldn't do what he does.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Meaningful Name
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Killing's a Gihren loyalist, meaning his personal philosophy is equal parts Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.
- Non-Action Guy
- Non-Action Big Bad: Killing spends most of the show sitting behind a desk, and demonstrating no combat skills whatsoever. Even whe he offs his superior, it's in a sneak attack at point blank range.
- Nuke 'em: Deliberately sabotages Operation Rubicon so that he can have an excuse to nuke Side 6.
- Psychotic Smirk: Seems to be a permanent fixture on his face.
- Smug Snake
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Plans to nuke Side 6 even if the operation is a success, as a way of making sure that the Gundam ALEX is not only destroyed, but buried. This explicitly goes against his instructions to capture it.
- We Have Reserves: Callously plans the destruction of his own team in order to gain permission to nuke Side 6.