Characters: Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Alfred "Al" Izuruha
Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese, OVA), Kumiko Watanabe (Japanese, Games), Brianne Siddall (English, as Ian Hawk)
An eleven year old civilian living on a neutral colony, Al (and his classmates) are of the opinion that the war is the coolest thing to ever happen. Encountering Bernie by accident, he teams up with him, not really realizing the stakes involved. The consequences thereof, and his resulting Character Development, are essentially the entire point of the series.
- Cheerful Child: At first.
- Free-Range Children: Al's parents are rarely seen.
- Harmful to Minors: Pretty much his story arc.
- Heroic BSOD: Al goes catatonic for three weeks straight after taking a blow to the head while trying to stop Bernie and Chris from killing each other.
- The Protagonist
- Secret Keeper: For Bernie.
- Supporting Protagonist: He's the viewpoint character, but it's Bernie and Chris (and of course, Killing) whose actions actually move the plot.
- Tagalong Kid
- War Is Glorious: Espouses this at first.
- War Is Hell: What he's left with at the end.
Bernard "Bernie" Wiseman
A rookie Zeon soldier assigned to the elite Cyclops Team commando unit, Bernie is viewed as The Load by his teammates. However, when it comes down to him and Al as the only ones in a position to save the colony, he steps up and does his damnedest to make it happen.
- Anti-Villain: Heavy on the "anti". He's a perfectly decent guy, it's just that he happens to be working for a fascist dictatorship.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Barely.
- Char Clone: His blonde hair and shades are likely a Shout-Out to Char's Quattro Bajeena persona.
- Cool Shades: While in disguise.
- Fragile Speedster: In his Zaku.
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Killed Off for Real
- Miles Gloriosus: Sort of; Bernie tells Al that he's a super-awesome Ace Pilot, when in reality he's a rookie who's total battle experience is getting shot down in his first fight.
- New Meat
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Chris.
- Took a Level in Badass: Just before the end, when he engages the Alex one on one. He actually comes close to defeating it, before taking a beam saber to the cockpit. But even so...the fact that he was able to give a Gundam a run for its money while piloting a Zaku speaks volumes.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Hamburgers. This turns out to be a particularly grim Foreshadowing, as the Federation crew that inspects his downed Zaku describes his corpse as being reduced to hamburger after getting stabbed and cooked alive by the Alex Gundam's beam saber.
Christina "Chris" Mackenzie
Al's attractive redheaded next-door neighbor, Chris is clearly fond of her younger friend. Unbeknowest to him, however, she is actually an Earth Federation officer, and the current pilot of the secret Gundam ALEX undergoing testing in the colony.
- Action Girl
- Cool Big Sis: While not actually Al's sister, she fills this role quite nicely.
- Girl Next Door
- Improbable Age: Why'd they choose her as the test pilot again?
- Lightning Bruiser: In the ALEX, which combos speed, offensive power, and heavy armour (including an optional Chobham armour package), with powerful melee and ranged weapons.
- Red-Headed Hero
- Star-Crossed Lovers: With Bernie, though she's totally unaware of it.
- Teen Genius
- Took a Level in Badass: By the end, though the climactic fight with Bernie still leaves her in rough shape.
Voiced by: Kōji Totani (Japanese), Jackson Daniels (English)
A high-ranking Gihren loyalist planted within Kycilia Zabi's mobile suit team, Killing commands Operation Rubicon from the rear. Convinced that only the total destruction of Side 6 can ensure that the Gundam ALEX never sees combat, Killing constantly pushes for the colony to be subjected to nuclear bombardment, going against his orders to make sure that it happens.
- Armchair Military: Killing never engages in any combat. He stays in the back, directing operations from there.
- Bad Boss: Some commanding officers kill you for failing. Others just don't care about casualties. Killing sabotages his own operation and deliberately arranges for the deaths of his team, solely to get permission for his own plan.
- Big Bad: Directly or indirectly responsible for every horrible thing that the heroes go through in-series.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- The Chessmaster
- Driven to Suicide: Possibly. Sidematerials reveal that in the last hours of the war, a Colonel Killing A. Danigan shot himself in front of a portrait of Gihren Zabi. Whether they are the same character or not is up for debate.
- Expy: Of his boss, arguably. They're both arrogant cold-blooded social climbers and chessmasters who murder their way into command positions, authorise the use of WMDs, and will do anything to ensure a Zeon victory. Even the character designs are rather similar.
- Forehead of Doom
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- The Heavy: Killing's actions drive most of the plot, directly and indirectly. Everything Bernie, the Cyclops Team, and Christina and Al go through is either because of, or a reaction to, Killing's actions.
- Insane Admiral: Seriously, what the Hell is in the water at the Zeon command centre? Gihren, Ginias, this guy...
- Karma Houdini: Gets out of the series alive, in a sharp contrast to all of his men.
- Klingon Promotion: Shoots his superior officer and takes command of the operation from him when the latter tries to prevent the nuclear assault on Side 6.
- Lack of Empathy: If Killing had any, he couldn't do what he does.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Meaningful Name
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: Killing's a Gihren loyalist, meaning his personal philosophy is equal parts Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.
- Non-Action Guy
- Non-Action Big Bad: Killing spends most of the show sitting behind a desk, and demonstrating no combat skills whatsoever. Even whe he offs his superior, it's in a sneak attack at point blank range.
- Nuke 'em: Deliberately sabotages Operation Rubicon so that he can have an excuse to nuke Side 6.
- Psychotic Smirk: Seems to be a permanent fixture on his face.
- Smug Snake
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Plans to nuke Side 6 even if the operation is a success, as a way of making sure that the Gundam ALEX is not only destroyed, but buried. This explicitly goes against his instructions to capture it.
- We Have Reserves: Callously plans the destruction of his own team in order to gain permission to nuke Side 6.