Creator: David Hayter
"I guess my first reaction to the name was: 'Well, I'm not taking my pants off, if that’s what they’re saying.' I'd been in Hollywood a few years by that time, and had been burned on the pants thing before.'"David Bryan Hayter is a Canadian-American actor, voice actor and screenwriter. Most of his roles are in anime and video games, and he's known for his low, rough voice.He traveled around the world a lot in his childhood and had been acting since then. He studied in Japan when he was a teenager, then moved to Hollywood. He mostly worked on live-action TV in his first few years in the business but became more involved in voice acting after making a cameo in Major Dad.Since then, he has lent his voice to the heroes of Metal Gear, The Castle of Cagliostro, Fushigi Yuugi, YuYu Hakusho: The Movie, and Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. He was also the screenwriter for the films X-Men, X2: X-Men United, The Scorpion King, the TV pilot Lost In Oz, and he wrote an early script for Watchmen which Alan Moore himself, notoriously famous for disowning his work's adaptations, praised as the closest ever translation of his work yet. Hayter will also write and direct the film of Lost Planet.Has a Twitter account.
- The Castle of Cagliostro: Lupin III
- Eternal Darkness: Two Roman legionnaires and a guard in Angkor Thom.note
- Fushigi Yuugi: Tamahome/Taka
- Guyver: Dark Hero: Sean Barker/The Guyver
- Metal Gear (almost all the installments in the Solid games): Solid Snake (a.k.a. Iroquois Pliskin and Old Snake) and Naked Snake (the young Big Boss). He has also portrayed the character in live action at least once, and one story tells that he would bring a bandanna to wear during voice acting sessions for the first game.
- Also voiced Snake as a guest fighter in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- This is also the series that really demonstrates how much he is one of us. During re-recording for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, he gave up half his paycheck to get the entire original voice cast back together to reprise their roles. He also only one of the few voice actors to actually beat the game, and has apparently written a script for a potential movie.
- Interestingly, he will not be reprising his role as Snake/Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Hideo Kojima decided to bring 24's Kiefer Sutherland into the highly-physical role. Kojima justified this by stating that he wanted a more emotional performance from the character, and he needed a new actor in order to sound older. Needless to say, this caused a great deal of fandom backlash (though some speculate that there's more to this than meets the eye, given Hideo Kojima's status as a trolling creator). Because of this change, a DLC Sword for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was not released outside of Japan, given that Hayter had since moved onto his own projects and Sutherland would have been too expensive for a joke role.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket: Bernard Wiseman
- Spider-Man: The Animated Series: Captain America
- He reprised the role in one episode of X-Men: Evolution.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: The male Jedi Knight
- They Were Eleven: Doricas Soldam IV
- YuYu Hakusho: The Movie: Kurama
Movies written and/or directed by David Hayter:
- Lost In Oz
- The Scorpion King
- The first script to a film adaptation of Watchmen, though not the final script.
- Lost Planet
- The script for a Black Widow film, which was written prior to the existence of the current Marvel Movie Universe. It was cancelled after Underworld and Tomb Raider were released, not wanting to saturate the market with Action Girl films. With renewed interest in the character, however, the film may still yet be revived (although it would need to be reworked to fit in with the other current Marvel films).
And that's all, right David? David? DAVIIIIIID!!