Hideo Kojima (August 24, 1963) is best known as the creative mind
's Metal Gear
series. He also directed Snatcher
, served as producer of the Zone of the Enders
series, and was involved with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
and the Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series
His games have a cerebral element, often playing with the fourth wall
. Expect to see giant robots, discussions on the nature of love, discussions on the nature of war, and shameless references to the media - primarily American movies, of which he is a huge fan. His games often glorify, deconstruct, reference or pastiche Hollywood tropes - and it can be anything from theme naming
his cast after movie characters to copying an action sequence motion-for-motion.
He's also hell-bent on giving his games an excruciating level of world detail and interactivity
, claiming that "if the player doesn't believe the world is real, there's no point in making the game
". As a direct result, his games are littered with subtle touches that other developers would barely even think of, some even being so obtuse as to qualify as outright easter eggs, starting with an absolutely gigantic in-game encyclopedia detailing the world of Snatcher
, and carrying on throughout the Metal Gear
Kojima has a very strange relationship with his fans, in that, despite his respect for them, he constantly makes fun of them and says things
to deliberately infuriate them
. The whole of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
, to take the most notorious example, was an extended parody of sequels and fans' expectations thereof, constantly teasing the player by seeming to be more of the same and then going off in completely the other direction. It was also influenced by Paul Auster's classic postmodern metadetective New York Trilogy
, of all things.Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
, on the other hand, is a pastiche of '60s spy flicks, from its distinctly James Bond
-esque title theme and Cold War
setting to the presence of a "Bond Girl" ("Snake Girl?") in the form of motorcycle-riding EVA.
His games also have a knack for unpredictability, showcasing features and plot twists that players could never have predicted - most egregiously replacing Snake with Raiden as the protagonist of Metal Gear Solid 2
with absolutely no prior information leading up to the revelation. To this end, he goes out of his way to make deliberately misleading trailers for his games
, so as not to give away the twists
. Indeed, said trailers often don't have anything to do with the game at all
, beyond prominently featuring the main character (or maybe not) and showcasing one or two new game features.
It's notable that the only time he has dropped his polite, cheerful public persona was when he was asked whether Uwe Boll would be directing a Metal Gear Solid movie as he claimed
, at which point he blew up and called Boll a "talentless hack". Needless to say, many people were freaked out by this sudden outburst, and even more
freaked out when he immediately became calm and serene again afterward
Apparently has been quite hooked on Left 4 Dead
and has joked about "quitting being Japanese", to the extent where he has openly invited western game developers to co-operate with him so that they can find a best-of-both-worlds approach to making video games, combining aspects of western technology-centric and eastern design-centric game design. He once said that his most anticipated game of 2011
was L.A. Noire
, highlighting this sentiment.Also appears
to be a Twilight
fan. Make of that what you will
. Then again...
He has directed the following games:
He has also been involved in the production of:
- Author Filibuster
- Breaking the Fourth Wall
- Contemplate Our Navels: There are often long conversations about things like Neo Kobe Pizza, movies, etc.
- He Knows About Timed Hits: Explanations of game features are often done by characters within the game.
- Humongous Mecha
- Meaningful Name: For example, Raiden's civilian name "Jack" is a reference to a lot of things. Including an American nickname for a Japanese warplane from World War II.
- Mind Screw
- Motive Rant: Oftentimes far longer than the time it takes to actually defeat the villain.
- Never Trust a Trailer: He hates it when trailers spoil the story, so he deliberately makes totally misleading trailers. He took this to its absolute limit with Metal Gear Solid 2, where the fact that Snake isn't even the main character was completely, totally obscured.
- Older Than They Look: Look at him again. No way the guy looks 50. This is joked by fans that he had nanomachines implanted in him.
- Sdrawkcab Name
- Significant Anagram: For example, the first information released for The Phantom Pain claimed the game's director was a Swedish man named Joakim Mogren. "Joakim" is an anagram of "Kojima".
- Metal Gear Solid 4 shows that "RAT PT 01" can be an anagram for "patriot".
- Stealth Pun: For example, in The Phantom Pain, Big Boss is given an injection of digoxin, which is made from a plant called foxglove, referencing the in-game military unit FOXHOUND.
- Trolling Creator: "DID YOU RIKE IT?"
- World of Pun
Tropes he has personally stated he despises:
Some films that have inspired his work:
Some other things he is known to admire:
- Assassin's Creed, to the point where he's made two different major references to it in his Metal Gear games.
- Mega64, to the points where he's even guest-starred in one of their sketches, and even commissioned them to make a trailer for his new Transfarring data system.
- Ōkami, of which was one of the reasons why he asked Platinum Games to work on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
- Pokémon, which he is said to have all of the games and all of the Pokemon (including legendary) in every one of the regional pokedexes.
- Yu-Gi-Oh!, which got him called "Hideojama".
- Super Smash Bros.: He wanted Solid Snake in Melee and got his wish granted in Brawl.
Yes, because Kojima is God!