is the term used to describe the occurrence of a character dying outside of the audience's view. The character's corpse may be seen later, or confirmation may be given by another character, who witnessed the death/found the corpse.
See also The Character Died with Him
. Bus Crash
is when this happens to a character who'd previously been written out of the series in a non-lethal manner
. When a character dies out of the view of another character due to a brief distraction, that's Distracted from Death
Examples of this trope:
Anime and Manga
- Furuya in Muhyo And Roji, whose identity is claimed by Face-Ripper Sophie.
- In the last episode of Girls und Panzer, careful watching reveals that one of Black Forest's tanks did not make it to the town where Miho had retreated. It's possible that it broke down on the way there.
- In Naruto Orochimaru does this on two separate occasions during the Invasion of Konoha Arc. He sacrifices Zaku and Kin to summon the First and Second Hokages, and it's revealed after the invasion that he killed the Fourth Kazekage, his own ally, to steal his identity.
- Murasakiiro No Qualia has this happen to Yukari, after she's sent off to be under Jaunt's protection due to her abilities. Despite spending time their clearly alive, she's one day announced to have died without specification.
- In The Prayer Warriors, this happens at several points.
- In The Evil Gods, Chiron, after being converted, goes to convert the rest of Camp Half-Blood. One of his students comes back and reports that he's been killed and eaten alive.
- In Battle with the Witches, Ebony kills Harry Potter offscreen, and this is revealed when Ron walks in and finds his body.
- In Threat of Satanic Commonism, this, surprisingly enough, happens to Disc One Final Boss John Lennon; Mary arrives with a gun, kills Annabeth's opponent, and then points it at John Lennon, only for the next chapter to begin with her talking to her husband Jerry, and a mention that John Lennon is dead.
- Surprisingly enough, this happens to the main character, Jerry, who is killed off at the beginning of The Titans Strike Back.
- The Thing (1982): Both Fuchs and Nauls die offscreen. Only Fuchs' burnt corpse is found.
- Everyone who is assimilated by the thing has to die this way, otherwise we'd already know who was a thing. For the record, it's Palmer, Norris and Blair. You might even be able to count Mac and Childs as dying off screen, as it's implied they'll freeze. Bennings could count as well, which means that 75 percent of the cast died off screen, taking this trope Up to Eleven.Only Garry, Copper, Windows and the two norwegians get a death scene. Of course, it's entirely possible Mac and Childs survived.
- During the Harry Potter series, Igor Karkaroff, Remus Lupin, Tonks, and Fred Weasley were all killed while the reader's focus was elsewhere.
- Balon Greyjoy from A Song of Ice and Fire has a brief but important role to play in the story's multiway civil war before dying off screen.
- Happens fairly often in the Warrior Cats series, mainly due to diseases. One of the biggest examples is Crookedstar, who dies rather abruptly in A Dangerous Path from greencough.
- Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps:
- Donna's mother, Flo, was run over by a truck sometime between the third and fourth seasons.
- In the sixth season opener, "When Johnny Met Sharky", Johnny spends most of the episode in florida. Near the end, we learn that he failed to jump over a shark, and was eaten.
- The Walking Dead:
- Sophia is killed offscreen, later appearing as a walker.
- Shumpert dies sometime during his journey with Martinez, but we don't see his death.
- While we do see Meghan getting bitten by a walker, we don't actually see her die onscreen. Although later on, we see Lilly carrying her dead body over to the Governor.
- Breaking Bad: Gomez bites it ofscreen during the very short time between two episodes. Granted, the previous episode ended with a Bolivian Army Ending.
- This happens alarmingly often in Worm. Examples include the Siberian, Phir Se, Heartbreaker, Raymancer, and Taylor's father Danny.