There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
Characters: Supernatural Special Children
Click here to go back to the main character page
open/close all folders
Andy, Jake, Sam and Ava, at Cold Oak
I have plans Sammy, plans for you and all the children like you...
Even before their births these children were chosen by Azazel to serve as his soldiers during the Apocalypse
. Special Children
refers to children to whom Azazel fed his blood when they were babies, having snuck into their homes after making a deal with their parents. The result was that the blood awoke/created psychic abilities in them so they could (apparently) lead an army of demons in a war against humanity and God. Around Season 2, Azazel wanted to test these children to find who would be the strongest, so he put them in an abandoned town called Cold Oak and told them only one could survive. This eventually triggered a fight among the special children. Azazel led everyone to believe that he wanted a leader for his demon army. However, as it was later revealed, the endgame was bigger than just leading a demon army. Azazel chose the children because they were all potential vessels for Lucifer. The strongest one would be chosen to contain Lucifer throughout the apocalypse.
- Adaptation Expansion: Lily and Jake get an episode of their own each ("Darkness Calling" and "Loser", respectively) in the anime.
- Anti Anti Christ: All of the Special Children possess demon blood in their blood.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: In "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part 1". A bunch of psychics who were mysteriously kidnapped and brought to a ghost town over night don't believe that demons might exist.
- Badass Army: They were intended to become this.
- Badass Crew
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Ansem and Max.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Sam and Andy.
- Being Evil Sucks
- Blessed with Suck
- Bizarre Baby Boom: While there are hints there may be multiple generations, the story focuses on children born in 1983.
- Bizarre Human Biology: All of the Special Children possess demon blood within their blood, courtesy of Azazel bleeding in their mouths at 6 mos. of age.
- Child Prodigy
- Child Soldier
- The Chosen Many
- The Chosen One: Sam.
- The Corruptible
- Cursed with Awesome
- Dark Messiah: Sam. He's The Chosen One and the one destined to be the vessel for Lucifer.
- The Dark Side: Unfortunately, most of the Special Children have become evil.
- The Dark Side Will Make You Forget
- Deal with the Devil: The parents of the children made this 9.5 years prior to their birth.
- Demoted to Extra: In focusing more on Lily and Jake, however, the anime dropped early episodes featuring Andy and Ava. It also didn't feature Rosie, Ansem, or Scott.
- Dreaming of Things to Come
- Drunk on the Dark Side
- Drunk with Power
- Face-Heel Turn: More than half the Special Children had turned to The Dark Side or had become evil.
- The Force Is Strong with This One: Sam according to Azazel.
- Ghost Town: Cold Oak, where Azazel gathers the children.
- Innocent Prodigy
- Involuntary Battle to the Death: Azazel gathers all the surviving children in Cold Oak once their powers have manifested, and they fight to the death as There Can Be Only One, who will be the leader of his army.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One
- I Am a Monster
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope
- Killed Off for Real: All except Sam, who came back from the dead thanks to Dean's deal with the crossroads demon.
- Last Of Their Kind: Sam.
- Mind Control
- Compelling Voice: Andy, Ansem, and later on Jake.
- Ava learns a very specific form of this to control an Acheri demon and use it to kill the other Psy-Kids.
- Missing Mom: Some of the kids' moms were telekinetically pinned to the ceiling, gutted, and burned alive by Azazel when they were babies because they interrupted him as he was feeding the babies his blood. This includes Sam, Max, Andy, and Scott.
- Power at a Price
- Psychic Nosebleed: Happens to Sam when he tries to exorcise demons with his mind.
- Psychic Powers
- Psycho Serum: The demon blood of Azazel in which he fed all of the Special Children at 6 mos. old.
- Puberty Superpower: These children develop their powers as young adults at 22.
- Superhuman Transfusion
- Super Empowerment
- Transhuman: A variation of the trope.
- Tyke Bomb
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Max, Ansem, Ava, Jake, and eventually Sam. The only exception seems to be Andy, who got stronger (on his own) but not crazier.
- Vampire Invitation: Azazel needed this to enter the homes of the children.
"It started a little over a year ago? You found you could do things? Things you didnít think were possible? I have visions. I see things before they happen."
Max Miller (Brendan Fletcher)
"When I first found out I could move things it was a gift. My whole life I was helpless but now I had this."
Appears in "Nightmare" (S01, Ep14)
Andy Gallagher (Gabriel Tigerman)
"I mean, you, you learn you've got a twin, you call him up, you go out for a drink, you don't start killing people!"
First appears in "Simon Said" (S02, Ep05)
Ansem Weems aka Webber (Elias Toufexis)
"He came to me. In my dream. He said I was special. He told me he's got big plans for me. Wait 'till you see what's in store, Andy, for both of us!"
Appears in "Simon Said" (S02, Ep05)
Scott Carey (Richard de Klerk)
"I have this ability. When I touch something, I can electrocute it if I want."
Appears in "Hunted" (S02, Ep10)
Ava Wilson (Katharine Isabelle)
"Screw you, buddy. Okay? Because I'm a secretary from Peoria and I'm not part of anything! Okay?"
First appears in "Hunted" (S02, Ep10)
Jake Talley (Aldis Hodge)
"Iíve heard enough. Iím better off on my own. FYI, so are you."
- Anti-Villain: Type III. By the end of "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part 1", he regretfully kills Sam so that he knows at least one of them will survive to kill Azazel, but Azazel then strong-arms Jake into working for him.
- Apologetic Attacker
- Knight Templar Big Brother: To his unnamed, unseen little sister.
- The Lancer: To Sam in Cold Oak.
- Laser-Guided Karma: While Sam's distracted, a seemingly unconscious Jake takes the opportunity to sneak up behind him with a knife and stab him In the Back. Later on, Sam comes back to life and repeatedly shoots Jake in the back.
- Love Makes You Evil: Azazel manipulates Jake's love for his family to get him to cooperate: first, he threatens to force-feed Jake's mom and little sister their own intestines if Jake doesn't do as he's told. After that, he tempts Jake into opening the devil's gate by promising that his family will be rich and safe forever in return.
- Meaningful Name: "Jake" comes from "Jacob", which means "supplanter", He unexpectedly wins the competition by killing "heavyweight champ" Ava and Sam, the last remaining psychics.
- Revenge Before Reason: Subverted at the end of "Loser".
- Super Strength
- Teach Him Anger: "Loser" revolved around Azazel's attempts to make Jake crack under pressure and turn evil. He originally intended to slaughter Jake's family like he promised to do in the original series, so that Jake would come home from leave to find them Stuffed In The Fridge a la Jessica, but then the Winchesters intervened. Instead Jake's little brother gets shot and killed in front of him by the fellow soldier whose respect he finally earned. It still doesn't work, as Jake remains a decent human being.
- Uh-Oh Eyes: Blink it and you miss, but Jake's eyes briefly flash pale yellow in the graveyard scene.
- The Unchosen One
- Villains Want Mercy: But Sam does not give it.
Lily (Jessica Harmon)
"I touch people? Their hearts stop. I can barely leave my house. My lifeís not exactly improved. So, screw you, I just wanna go home."
- Accidental Murder: She inadvertantly killed her girlfriend by touching her. Naturally, Lily feels guilty as hell over this.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the anime, she's a brunette with Boyish Short Hair rather than a long-haired blonde.
- Broken Bird: Very much so.
- Bury Your Gays: The first on-screen casuality of Azazel's contest.
- Disappeared Dad: In the anime, her father, Gray, abandons her after witnessing Azazel feeding her his blood when she was an infant and killing her mother. Gray later teams up with John to save Lily and kill Azazel in "Darkness Calling". Although Lily exorcises the demon and father and daughter reunite, Azazel later returns, possesses Gray, and forces Lily to exorcise him by touch again... this time, killing her father.
- Genre Blindness: Ignores the other children's warning to stay in the town and stick together, by sneaking away to try to escape through the woods. She is caught by one of Ava's Acheri demons, and hung from a windmill. In Lily's case, it might not be Genre Blindness so much as her desperation leading her to make rash decisions.
- Hide Your Lesbians: The anime adapation made it Lily's girlfriend into her "friend who is a girl".
- Only One Name
- The anime gives her the surname "Baker".
- Self-Made Orphan: Anime-only.
- Touch of Death