open/close all folders
Prophets In Supernatural
Prophets in Supernatural
- Castiel: Dean, let him go! This man is to be protected.Dean: Why?Castiel: Heís a prophet of the Lord.Dean: Him? Really?Castiel: You should've seen Luke.
- Mission from God: He does pick who the prophets are, after all.
Chuck Shurley (Rob Benedict)
- "It was too preposterous. Not to mention arrogant! I mean, writing yourself into the story is one thing, but as a prophet? Thatís like M. Night level douchiness."
- Ambiguously Human: It's heavily implied in the Season 5 finale that he's actually God. Word of God initially said that he is but later said that it's up to the viewer to decide. Finally answered in "Don't Call me Shurley". He is.
- Angel Unaware: Or prophet, at least. Subverted ultimately; He is God, and perfectly aware of it.
- Author Avatar: Of Eric Kripke.
- The Bus Came Back: At the end of the 200th episode.
- Bus Crash: It is implied in "A Little Slice of Kevin" that Chuck is dead, as there can only be one prophet at a time and Kevin Tran is the current prophet. Given who Chuck is confirmed by Word of God to be, however... Turns up alive and well for a cameo at the end of "Fan Fiction", so ultimately subverted.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: More "loser" than "moron", but still, he's a lot more formidable than he seems at first.
- Man in White: In the Season 5 finale.
- Meta Guy: Chuck, a prophet who writes about the Winchesters' adventures in trashy pulp novels. He apologizes for some of the badly-written episodes and even makes a remark about Sam's character arc for the season making him less sympathetic. At some points, His remarks smack of Author Avatar-ness. It's done surprisingly well, though.
- Physical God: Literally as possible, as he is THE God. The one from the Bible.
- Protectorate: Guarded by an Archangel.
- Put on a Bus: They pretty much had to, because he is God, and therefore a huge gamebreaker since He openly sides with Sam and Dean. The Bus Came Back at the end of "Fan Fiction".
Kevin Tran (Osric Chau)
- "Mom, you have GOT to stop drowning me in holy water EVERY TIME I GO OUT!"
- Action Survivor: Starting during Season eight. Before that, Kevin was a Distressed Dude, who was overwhelmed by the circumstances surrounding him.
- Adorkable: Just look at him. Kevin is the epitome of dorky, lovable, and quirky.
- Afraid of Needles: Kevin didn't take it well when he was having his possession tattoo done.
- Asian and Nerdy: Kevin is very intellectual and smart. Plays the stereotype completely straight until he is called as a prophet.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: God sends him to heaven in Season 11 after a year or two of being trapped in the Veil
- Badass Adorable: Both a brainiac and kick ass at the same time.
- Badass Bookworm: Kevin is highly intelligent, scholarly and intellectual, not to mention he reads a lot. Wanted to attend Princeton and run in politics.
- Badass in Distress: Although Kevin Took a Level in Badass, he was still vulnerable from time to time and needed much saving and protecting.
- Badass Unintentional: Kevin's life was turned upside down when he discovered that he was a prophet.
- Birds of a Feather: With Sam. Both of them had their "normal lives" turned upside down due to being The Chosen One. Both have had their mothers and their girlfriends killed by a higher demon (Azazel for Sam and Crowley for Kevin), though Kevin's mom turned out to be Not Quite Dead.. Sam and Kevin are also The Smart Guys and Badass Bookworms, not to mention they're both nerds.
- Break the Cutie: Starts off as an honors student who just wants to get into Princeton and be the first Asian American President. His life enters a downward spiral once he meets the Winchesters.
- Breakout Character: Kevin is rather popular within the fandom.
- Butt-Monkey/The Chew Toy: Kevin is the easy target for kidnapping, beating up and torturing.
- The Chosen One: He's a prophet.
- Deadpan Snarker: He is capable of wit and sarcasm.
- The Determinator: Carries on decrypting the Demon tablet despite suffering nosebleeds and even a minor stroke.
- Distressed Dude: The poor little guy just can't stop getting kidnapped, even when he takes a level in badass post-Season 7.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After seasons of Break the Cutie and even dying, Kevin manages to rescue his mother and gets a few more years with her. Afterwards, God personally sends him to Heaven.
- Eye Scream: His eyes get fried out as Gadreel smites him.
- Fingore: Crowley cuts himself a little slice of Kevin and the kid ends up caving into his demands to avoid losing the rest to a knife-happy Crowley.
- Heartbroken Badass: Has had his whole life turned upside down due to being The Chosen One, and has also lost his mother (except not actually) and his girlfriend (ironically, the same way Sam did).
- Important Haircut: In Season 8, Kevin's shorter hair reflects his new harder personality.
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Ironically, shares this in common with Sam. Both Kevin and Sam just wanted to be normal.
- Killed Off for Real: His insides are melted by Gadreel in Season 9.
- Disappeared Dad: His father died when he was very young. Linda Tran keeps a ring as a Tragic Keepsake
- Momma's Boy: Kevin is very close to his mother, Linda.
- Motor Mouth: Especially when he gets excited or anxious about something.
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Dick uses Kevin's mom to force Kevin to give him the translation of the Word of God after the offer of a letter of recommendation to Princeton fails.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Mostly.
- Point of No Return: Kevin struggles with realizing he has reached this point throughout the Season 8 premiere, but it is brought home after his ex-girlfriend Channing's murder.
- Sacrificial Lion: His death in Season 9 demonstrates the threat posed by Metatron and Gadreel.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!:
- At the end of "What's Up, Tiger Mommy?", Crowley's words about the Winchesters' allies dying get to Kevin after he sees Dean try to kill his possessed mother, and he takes off with his catatonic mom before something worse befalls either of them.
- Pulls this one again when troubled by Crowley (it is unclear whether it is a vision or it really happened. Odds are on the former.
- Took a Level in Badass: Becomes much more badass during the Season 7—Season 8 Time Skip.
- The Smart Guy: He can even outsmart Crowley.
- Who's Your Daddy?: Crowley hints that it's someone interesting. Start planting your Epileptic Trees... now!
Appears in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S08, Ep07).Luigi is a future prophet, who was unaware of this until Crowley abducted him from between two subway cars in Rome while a freak hailstorm occurred at the same time above ground.
- Train Escape: Disappears between two subway trains in Rome.
- Hidden Backup Prince: Only becomes a prophet if the current prophet dies.
Justin Hurst (Douglas Newell)
- "I don't read Chinese."
Appears in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S08, Ep07).Justin is a mailman from New, Mexico, who had no idea he was a future prophet until the earth split open and he was abducted by Crowley.
- Crying Wolf: Known as a practical joker, his partner driving the mail truck thought he disappeared as a joke and completed the route before realizing anything was wrong.
- Spare to the Throne: If the order in which Castiel recites the names is the order of prophet succession.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: He believes he has been the victim of Alien Abduction, which may be because he is from New Mexico.
- You Look Familiar: This actor previously played the grandfather in "A Very Supernatural Christmas".
Aaron Webber (Bruce Salomon)
Appears in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S08, Ep07).Aaron is a future prophet who was abducted from his preschool by a demon possessed teacher at Crowley's direction.
- Adult Fear: Abducted child.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: Goes missing on Thanksgiving, November 22, 2012, according to his Missing Child poster.
Dennis Adams (Mar Andersons)
- "I got rights! Where's my one phone call?"
Appears in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S08, Ep07).He was unaware of his role as a future prophet, until abducted by Crowley. He did not understand the danger that Crowley represented and is killed using Crowley's telekinesis when he demands a phone call.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed telekinetically by Crowley in his debut appearance.
- Too Dumb to Live: See Underestimating Badassery.
- Underestimating Badassery: Asks the King of Hell for One Phone Call, as if Crowley was a local cop.
Krista (Juno Ruddell)
- "Snapping us up from our homes, our families, teleporting us to this m-mother ship. "
Appears in "A Little Slice of Kevin" (S08, Ep07).Krista was unaware that she was a future prophet, and when Crowley abducts her and asks her to read the tablet, she acts as if it has the Declaration of Independence carved on it. Crowley kills her to show Kevin that he is serious about his threats.
- Killed Off for Real: Killed by Crowley.
Donatello Redfield (Keith Szarabajka)A former chemistry teacher and atheist Donatello became the newest Prophet of God after the Darkness released a fog upon his town and he became its sole survivor. First appearance "All in the Family" (S11, E21).
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Due to touching the Demon Tablet without having a soul Donatello is turned evil and insane and tries to murder Sam and Dean.
- Irony: The irony that an atheist and man of science ended up becoming the next Prophet of God is not lost on Donatello.
- Mind Rape: Ends up having this done to him curtesy of Castiel once he becomes corrupted by the Demon Tablet. In order to find out the ingredients necessary to open a door to Apocalypse World Cas forcibly enters Donatello's mind and rips the information out of their. The process leaves Donatello brain dead.
- The Mole: In order to spy on the Winchesters Asmodeus forcibly puts a command inside Donatello's head to inform him of any progress he makes on the Demon Tablet. Not that this matters as by next episode he has been corrupted by the Tablets power and mind rapped so hard he's become a vegetable.
- The Soulless: Amara ends up consuming his soul to find out information about God. Afterwards Donatello admits that, in order to stay on the path of righteousness, he asks "What would Jiminy Cricket do?" This ends up becoming a huge problem when he needs to decode the Demon Tablet as, without a soul, he ends up being corrupted by the tablets power and goes insane.