Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 07 A Little Slice Of Kevin
Season 8, Episode 7
A Little Slice Of Kevin
Castiel meets the new boss
"You canít save everyone, my friend. Though you try."
- Castiel to Dean
With the Trans still on the run, Crowley starts gathering up the other potential prophets
in hopes that one of them will be able to translate the Word in his possession. He finds out the name of the prophets by torturing a captured angel, Samandiriel. Tired of hiding, Linda hires a witch to help her and Kevin make another demon-smiting bomb. Of course, the witch, Delta Mendota, betrays them to Crowley, who captures Kevin. Meanwhile, Castiel returns from Purgatory, claiming not to know how he got out. Castiel rejoins the Winchester brothers to rescue Kevin and the future prophets, after Mrs. Tran asks for their help and delivers a demon she captured. Castiel does rescue Kevin from Crowley despite not yet being at full power, but the tablet is broken and Crowley escapes with a piece. We find out
that Castiel never planned to leave purgatory as he felt he belonged there as punishment for his actions, and Castiel was delivered from purgatory by a group on angels lead by Naomi, who are using Castiel and compelling him against his will and without his knowledge to gather information about the Winchesters.
- Actor Allusion:
- Adult Fear: Abducted child.
- Ascetic Aesthetic: The room Naomi summons Castiel to.
- Aside Glance: The possessed teacher briefly looks dead at the camera when she's checking if anyone's watching her snatch a kid.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: Dean to Aaron's teacher.
Dean: Can you think of any reason why somebody would want to harm him? Um, any enemies?
Mrs. Hagar: Enemies? He's five.
- Back from the Dead: Castiel, once again. In a way, he wasn't actually dead.
- The Bechdel Test: Passed, Delta and Mrs. Tran talk about demon bombs.
- Blood from the Mouth: The first prophet Crowley kills.
- Blood Spattered Innocents: After Kevin refuses to translate the tablet, Crowley makes a future prophet explode, showering Kevin and the other future prophets in her blood.
- Bucket Booby-Trap: Kevin's mother uses his trick with the holy water, we previously saw in "We Need To Talk About Kevin" (S08, Ep01).
- Bus Crash: It is implied that Chuck is dead, as there can only be one prophet at a time. But then again, considering just whom it's hinted He may be...
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Samandiriel.
Crowley: Keep him on ice. We've only just scratched the surface with this one.
- Can't You Read the Sign?: After Crowley cuts off Kevin's finger, the Winchester brothers and Castiel pass a sign that says "Beware: Sharp Edges Keep Fingers Clear".
- Celestial Bureaucracy
- Cold-Blooded Torture: When we first see Crowley, he's wearing a white butcher's apron and is in the middle of torturing Samandriel for information on the prophets.
- Continuity Nod: Scott Carey also has a poster for the Vancouver band New Town Animals on his wall in "Hunted" (S02, Ep10).
- Conveniently Interrupted Document: The broken tablet.
Kevin: We've got hex bags that make us invisible to demons. We've got demon traps painted everywhere. I've got a sigil tattooed on my arm. If we just keep moving we'll be fine.
- Cute Witch: Delta Mendota.
- Deggans Rule: Passed! Kevin and his mother.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Castiel is not back at full power.
- Elemental Powers:
- Encyclopedia Exposita: The tablets on Leviathans and on Demons are found to be part of a larger compendium.
- Epunymous Title
- Evil Smells Bad: Mrs. Hagar smelled sulfur when she woke up from being possessed.
- Evil Teacher: The teacher, Mrs. Hagar, who takes Aaron to the bathroom to clean off the finger paint and whose eyes flash black.
- Failure Knight: Dean.
Dean to Castiel: I donít need to feel like hell for failing you, OK. For failing you like Iíve failed ever other God-forsaken thing that I care about.
- Faith Heel Turn: Castiel's doubt is lampshaded.
Benny to Castiel: Aren't you guys all about faith?
Castiel: Not particularly.
Benny as they see the portal open: Oh, ye of frigging little faith.
- Fake Memories: Self-inflicted: Dean remembers losing his grip on Castiel while leaving Purgatory. At the end of the episode, Castiel reveals that Cas pushed Dean away, choosing to stay behind.
- Feigning Intelligence: Krista pretending the tablet has the Declaration of Independence carved into it.
- Fridge Logic:
- Sam says that when the mailman disappeared the "earth split open", but the article he is reading on his laptop says that when the mailman disappeared there was a 15 minute tornado like storm, but does not mention any other disturbance.
- The teacher who takes Aaron to the bathroom is identified as Ms. Van Hest in the article Sam reviews on his laptop, but when the brothers go to question her, Dean calls her Mrs. Hagar.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Cass pulls this off to freak out Crowley
- Heel Face Mole: Delta Mendota.
Mrs. Tran: You betrayed us?
Kevin: Delta, how could you?
Delta: Iím mercurial.
- Hey, It's That Guy!
- Good Is Boring: And so is God according to Crowley.
Kevin looking at the tablet: The next is... "The demonic influence on the collective tapestry of the soul."
Crowley: Blah blah blah. Doesn't anyone ever edit this stuff? So far as a writer, God's a snooze. No fun at parties, I hear.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Castiel uses these against Crowley.
- Idiot Ball: Mrs Tran trusting a Witch and being surprised when she betrayed them to Crowley. Sam and Dean's reaction says it all.
- I Have a Family: Dennis Adams.
- Insult Backfire: Mrs. Tran misses her mark, when she tries to shame Delta, the witch.
Listen, you little skank. In the service industry, you always deliver the goods, then you get paid. Even hookers
Delta: Hmm. Says you. See, my sister's a hooker. So hookers get paid first, and then you get the goods. Look, I'm not the one with demons on my ass. You want to renege on our deal, it's fine by me.
Mrs. Tran: Kevin, bring me my purse. Your mother must be so proud.
Delta: She is. Of course, with my sister, the bar ain't real high.
- Kill It with Water: Mrs. Tran attacks the demon with a super-soaker full of holy water.
- Language of Magic: Dean tries to explain away Sam saying an exorcism, by saying it is code that would keep the teacher from revealing anything under Enhanced Interrogation Techniques. While this may seem just as implausible as Demonic Possession, this explanation may have fit better with Mrs. Hagar's world view.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Inflicted on Castiel by Naomi.
- Lightning Reveal: Castiel in the window.
- Limited Wardrobe: Castiel is back in the trench-coat with the blue tie.
- Longing for Fictionland: Castiel in purgatory.
Castiel with a beatific smile in front of the TV set: I missed television.
- Mouth of Sauron: Metatron, who is named as the 5th Archangel, along with Michael, Lucifer, Gabriel and Raphael
- My Beloved Smother:
Kevin: Mom, you've got to stop drowning me in holy water every time I go out.
- The New Rock & Roll / New Media Are Evil: Delta became a full witch after her band broke up.
- Norse By Norsewest: Sven.
- Obviously Evil: It appears that Mrs. Tran has the Idiot Ball this week, when she enlists a witch who is willing to kill to destroy demons.
- Olive Garden: Luigi Ponzi, future prophet.
- On Three:
Crowley: So, on the count of thee... one, two... [He plunges the knife into Samandiriel, who screams.]
Samandiriel: What happened to three?
Crowley: I Lied
. I do that. Just give me the other names.
- Our Angels Are Different: Castiel mentions that he is a seraph yet is less powerful than the archangels. In Christian lore, seraphim are the most powerful angels and archangels are one of the least powerful.
- Actually, that depends on which version of Christian lore you follow. In many cases, the archangels are above all other angels in the hierarchy.
- Out, Damned Spot!: When Dean asks Castiel about how he got out of purgatory, Castiel has no explanation, but makes a seemingly unrelated comment on the dirt covering his clothes and body. Given the fact that Castiel did not feel he deserved to leave purgatory, this comment was likely a reference to his sense of guilt.
Dean: And that Ė that was it?
Dean: Yeah, well, Purgatory will do that to you.
- Portal Door: Blue swirling light that opened when it sensed a human in purgatory.
- Rushed Inverted Reading: Krista, with the tablet.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Krista, to make Kevin read the tablet.
- Self-Serving Memory: Dean's memory of "failing" to save Cas, because of his habit of blaming himself for things that aren't his fault.
- Shout Out:
- The opening scene is at the Randy Raccoon Preschool.
- Mrs. Tran finds a witch on craigslist. When the witch wants more information, she reminds her that there are no questions asked in the Casual Encounters section.
- Delta has a poster for the Vancouver band New Town Animals and the musical Brigadoon.
- When Castiel tries to thank Dean in case he does not make it out of purgatory, Dean tells him to "save the Hallmark".
- When both Castiel and Crowley pull their archangel blades, Crowley describes it as "all very West Side Story".
- South of the Border: Future prophet, Maria.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Dean sees Castiel appear, then disappear, by the side of the road, in the window, and in the mirror.
- Themed Aliases: Agents Roth and Malloy, as in two singers for Van Halen: David Lee Roth and Mitch Malloy.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: According to Crowley the passage about closing all hell gates qualifies the tablet as Things Man Was Not Meant to Know.
- Underestimating Badassery: Dennis Adams asks the King of Hell for One Phone Call, as if Crowley was a local cop.
- Unwanted Rescue: Castiel explains why he did not escape purgatory with Dean.
It wasnít that I was weak. I was stronger than you. I pulled away. Nothing you couldíve done wouldíve saved me because I didnít want to be saved. Itís where I belonged. I needed to do penance.
For the things I did on Earth and in Heaven.
- Wanderlust Song: "We Gotta Get out of This Place" by The Animals which is playing when we first see Dean driving while eating Peat's Classic Chips.
- Who You Gonna Call?: Linda calls the Winchester brothers when Crowley captures Kevin.
- Wicked Cultured: Crowley wipes the blood of the future prophet off his face with a handkerchief with a "C" monogram.
- Wild Wilderness: Dean passes a sign for Twin Pines Resort being held by a carved wooden bear on his way to Rufus' cabin in Whitefish, Montana.
- You Can Barely Stand: Castiel is severely weakened just after escaping Purgatory, clearly tired-out by actions he can perform easily when at full power. This doesn't stop him from going Super Mode on Crowley to intimidate him into releasing Kevin.
Crowley: You're bluffing!
Castiel: You wanna take that chance?
- You Look Familiar: Douglas Newell who plays future prophet Justin Hurst, previously played the Grandfather in "A Very Supernatural Christmas".
- You Look Like You've Seen a Ghost: Lampshaded by Sam.
Sam: You look like you've... Well, I was gonna say "You look like you've seen a ghost," but you'd probably be stoked.