Season 2, Episode 10
So Gordy. I know me and Sam ain't exactly your favorite people, but don't you think this is a little extreme?
Written by Raelle Tucker.
Directed by Rachel Talalay.
Airdate: January 11, 2007.
Sam leaves Dean and goes to Lafayette, Indiana,
in order to find out more about the Yellow Eyed Demon's plan, but the hunter Gordon Walker also finds out about Sam's secret.
Dean tells Sam the secret their father told him before dying: that if he couldn't save Sam, Dean would have to kill him. Dean wants them to lay low believing this will be safer for Sam, but Sam wants to find out more about who he is by learning about the Yellow-Eyed Demon's
plan. Sam steals a car and leaves Dean behind going to the Harvelle Roadhouse for more information. Ash
finds another person born in 1983 who had a nursery fire on his 6 month birthday, Scott Carey
in Lafayette, Indiana. Unfortunately, Scott was recently murdered. Sam starts investigating, but a young woman named Ava Wilson
shows up at his motel. She explains she had a dream about Sam dying, and her dreams come true. Sam tells her about his own psychic abilities and the other people he met who developed psychic abilities at age 22. Sam convinces her to help him steal Scott's file from his psychologist. They learn that the Yellow-Eyed Demon was appearing to Scott, and told Scott that people like him would be the Yellow-Eyed Demon's soldiers in an upcoming war.
Meanwhile after torturing a demon, Gordon Walker
learns about the plan for the Special Children to be used by demons as soldiers in an impending war. This demon also told Gordon that he knows one of the Special Children, Sam Winchester. Gordon was able to confirm this information and find Sam's location from an unnamed informant at the Roadhouse. Gordon decides to hunt and kill Sam, believing Sam will betray humanity and fight for the demons. Dean had called the Roadhouse, and Ellen
gave him Sam's location. Dean gets to the Blue Rose motel in Lafayette just in time to prevent Gordon from killing Sam, but Dean is knocked unconscious and taken prisoner by Gordon. With help from one of Ava's premonitions, Sam is able to avoid Gordon's trap and save Dean, while the police arrive and arrest Gordon based on an anonymous tip left by Sam. When the brothers check in on Ava, they discover she's missing, her fiance is dead and there's evidence of demon activity in the form of sulfur on the windowsill.
For this episode = 2 humans, including another Special Child
For the series so far = At least 167 humans; 11 ghosts; 5 vampires; 1 demon; 1 god; 1 rakshasa; 1 rawhead; 1 shapeshifter; 1 shtriga; 1 wendigo; and 1 zombie.
Tropes appearing in this episode:
- All Just a Dream: The scene with Sam hitting the trip wire that triggered the grenades was a vision of Ava's.
- Badass in Distress / Distressed Dude: Dean, especially when he is Bound and Gagged.
- The Bechdel Test: Failed.
- Big Brother Instinct: Dean.
Dean seeing Sam though a motel window: Oh, thank god you're okay.
- Blood from the Mouth: Scott Carey after he is stabbed, and Gordon Walker after Dean hits him in the face with the butt of Gordon's gun.
- Chekhov's Gun: Ava's engagement ring.
- Continuity Nod: Dean refers to how they left Gordon tied up at the end of "Bloodlust" (S02, Ep03).
Dean: Well, we did leave you tied up in your own mess for three days. Which was awesome. Sorry, I shouldn't laugh.
Gordon: Yeah. I was definitely planning on whuppin' your ass for that.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Scott Carey.
- Deggans Rule: Failed.
- Distaff Counterpart: Ava is this for Sam. They are both Seers and have a dead fiance.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Scott Carey.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: When Dean calls Gordon a "son of a bitch", Gordon smacks him for calling his mother a bitch.
- Evil Mentor: The Yellow-Eyed Demon is this for Scott Carey.
Scott: The yellow-eyed man. He comes to me in my dreams. Tells me to do things, awful things. But I tell him no, no, I don't want to!
- He Who Fights Monsters: Gordon Walker.
Gordon: I'm not a killer, Dean. I'm a hunter. And your brother's fair game.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Katharine Isabelle who plays Ava Wilson, also plays Ginger in Ginger Snaps and Lisa Baiocchi in The X-Files.
- Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act: Gordon doesn't seem to know about the exemption.
Gordon: Look, let's say you were cruising around in that car of yours and, uh, you had Little Hitler riding shotgun, right? Back when he was just some goofy, crappy artist. But you knew what he was going to turn into someday. You'd take him out, no questions, am I right?
- I Believe That You Believe It: The therapist says this to Scott about his abilities.
- Insistent Terminology: And a Call Back to the Pilot (S01, Ep1), "The Benders" (S01, Ep15), and "Bloodlust" (S02, Ep03).
Gordon: Do it. Do it! Show your brother the killer you really are, Sammy.
Sam: (Sam slams the butt of the rifle into Gordon's head) It's Sam.
- Kick the Dog: Scott fried the neighbor's cat.
- Mama Bear: Ellen is dealing with Jo moving out to be a hunter, but doesn't mind helping Dean find his brother.
Ellen: Now Dean, they say you can't protect your loved ones forever. (beat) Well, I say screw that. What else is family for?
- Motor Mouth: Ava Wilson.
Ava: I just remembered, when I was a kid, I swallowed like, eight things of pop rocks and then drank a whole can of coke, you don't think that that counts as a suicide attempt, do you?
- Only Sane Man: Scott Carey explaining his powers and the Yellow-Eyed Demon to his therapist.
- The Reveal: The secret John Winchester whispered to Dean is... If Dean is unable to save Sam, he has to kill Sam.
- Room Full of Crazy: The wall full of yellow eyes in Scott's closet.
- Running Gag: Dean calling Sam "bitch", and Sam responding with "jerk" is a Call Back to the Pilot.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane, which plays over the teaser.
- Books on Scott Carey's shelf include Shogun, as well as a book by Tom Clancy and another by Stephen King.
- Scott Carey also has a poster for the Vancouver band New Town Animals on his wall.
- Sam explains away his knowledge of munitions by saying he watches a lot of TJ Hooker.
- Slashed Throat: Ava's fiance.
- Spy Speak: Funkytown = someone has a gun on me. Evidently, Dean came up with it, and there is a long story.
- Stages of Monster Grief: We see Ava go through the first 2 stages in this episode.
Ava: Screw you, buddy. Okay? Because I'm a secretary from Peoria and I'm not part of anything! Okay?
- Defiance: She wants to help Sam find out more about the other Special Children and the Yellow-Eyed Demon's plan.
Ava: I just helped you steal some dead guy's confidential psych files. I'm awesome!
- Stock Episode Titles: Over 34 other series have an episode with this title.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Scott Carey.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Gordon kills Scott and tries to kill Sam, because he sees them as monsters and threats to humanity.
Gordon: Humans, fighting on hell's side. You believe that? I mean, they're psychics, so they're not exactly pure humans, but still. What kind of worthless scumbag have you got to be to turn against your own race?
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Scott Carey started to develop depression, paranoia, and nightmares, as his power manifested.