Season 2, Episode 10:
Sam: Jerk.Written by Raelle Tucker.Directed by Rachel Talalay.Airdate: January 11, 2007.Sam leaves Dean and goes to Lafayette, Indiana in order to find out more about the Yellow-Eyed Demon's plan, but the hunter Gordon Walker has found out about Sam's secret.
Dean tells Sam the secret their father told him before dying: that if he couldn't save Sam, Dean would have to kill him. Dean wants them to lay low, believing this will be safer for Sam, but Sam wants to find out more about who he is by learning more about the Yellow-Eyed Demon's plans. Sam steals a car and leaves Dean behind, going to Harvelle's Roadhouse for more information. Ash finds another person born in 1983 who had a nursery fire on his 6-month birthday: Scott Carey of Lafayette, Indiana. Unfortunately, Scott was recently murdered. Sam starts investigating, but a young woman named Ava Wilson shows up at his motel. She explains she had a dream about Sam dying, and her dreams come true. Sam tells her about his own psychic abilities and the other people he's met who also developed psychic abilities at age 22. Sam convinces her to help him steal Scott's file from his psychologist. They learn that the Yellow-Eyed Demon was appearing to Scott, and told Scott that people like him would be the Yellow-Eyed Demon's soldiers in an upcoming war.Meanwhile, after torturing a demon, Gordon Walker learned about the plan for the Special Children to be used by demons as soldiers in an impending war. This demon also told Gordon that Gordon himself knows one of the Special Children: Sam Winchester. Gordon was able to confirm this information and find Sam's location from an unnamed informant at the Roadhouse. Gordon decides to hunt and kill Sam, believing Sam will betray humanity and fight for the demons. Dean had called the Roadhouse, and Ellen gave him Sam's location. Dean gets to the Blue Rose Motel in Lafayette just in time to prevent Gordon from killing Sam, but Dean is knocked unconscious and taken prisoner by Gordon. With help from one of Ava's premonitions, Sam is able to avoid Gordon's trap and save Dean, while the police arrive and arrest Gordon based on an anonymous tip left by Sam. When the brothers check in on Ava, they discover she's missing, her fiance is dead and there's evidence of demon activity in the form of sulfur on the windowsill.
Body countFor this episode = 2 humans, including another Special Child.For the series so far = At least 167 humans; 11 ghosts; 5 vampires; 1 demon; 1 god; 1 rakshasa; 1 rawhead; 1 shapeshifter; 1 shtriga; 1 wendigo; 1 zombie.
- All Just a Dream: The scene with Sam hitting the trip wire that triggered the grenades and getting his guts splattered everywhere was a vision of Ava's.
- Badass in Distress/Distressed Dude: Dean while Bound and Gagged and subject to Gordon's tender ministrations.
- Big Brother Instinct: Dean. The whole entire episode, pretty much.Dean: [sees Sam though a motel window] Oh, thank god you're okay.
- Blood from the Mouth: Scott Carey after he gets stabbed and Gordon Walker after Dean hits him in the face with the butt of Gordon's gun.
- Booby Trap: Gordon makes not one but two tripwires for Sam, so that the first one would act as a Red Herring and Sam wouldn't expect the second one.
- Bound and Gagged: Dean after Gordon captures him.
- Chekhov's Gun: Ava's engagement ring.
- *Click* Hello: When Sam gets the drop on Gordon.
- Continuity Nod: Dean refers to how they left Gordon tied up at the end of "Bloodlust" (S02, E03).Dean: Well, we did leave you tied up in your own mess for three days. [laughs] Which was awesome. Sorry, I shouldn't laugh.
Gordon: Yeah. I was definitely planning on whuppin' your ass for that.
- Creepy Shadowed Undereyes: Scott Carey.
- Distaff Counterpart: Ava is Sam's. They are both Seers and, by the end of the episode, have a dead significant other.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Scott Carey.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: When Dean calls Gordon a "son of a bitch", Gordon smacks him for calling his mother a bitch.Gordon: That's my mother you're talkin' about.
- Evil Mentor: The Yellow-Eyed Demon is this for Scott Carey.Scott: The yellow-eyed man. He comes to me in my dreams. Tells me to do things, awful things. But I tell him no, no, I don't want to!
- Gangsta Style/Guns Akimbo
- Hand of Death
- He Who Fights Monsters: Gordon Walker.Gordon: I'm not a killer, Dean. I'm a hunter. And your brother's fair game.
- Hitler's Time-Travel Exemption Act: Gordon doesn't seem to know about it:Gordon: Look, let's say you were cruising around in that car of yours and, uh, you had Little Hitler riding shotgun, right? Back when he was just some goofy, crappy artist. But you knew what he was going to turn into someday. You'd take him out, no question, am I right?
- Hollywood Silencer: Gordon tries to snipe Sam and Ava with a silenced assault rifle. Sam identifies the cartridges as subsonic .223 rounds (normally a supersonic bullet, but there are commercial subsonic rounds available, so it's possible Sam could have identified it from the cartridge headstamp).
- I Believe That You Believe It: The therapist says this to Scott about his abilities.
- Insistent Terminology: And a Call-Back to "Pilot" (S01, E01), "The Benders" (S01, E15), and especially "Bloodlust" (S02, E03).Gordon: Do it. Do it! Show your brother the killer you really are, Sammy.
Sam: [slams the rifle butt into Gordon's head] It's Sam.
- The Internet Is for Porn
- Kick the Dog: Scott fried the neighbor's cat.
- Mama Bear: Ellen is dealing with Jo moving out to be a hunter, but doesn't mind helping Dean find his brother.Ellen: Now, Dean, they say you can't protect your loved ones forever. [beat] Well, I say screw that. What else is family for?
- Motor Mouth: Ava Wilson when she gets nervous.Ava: I just remembered, when I was a kid, I swallowed, like, eight things of pop rocks and then drank a whole can of Coke—you don't think that that counts as a suicide attempt, do you?
- Not What It Looks Like: Dean approves when he spies Ava in Sam's hotel room. Ava's only there because she was helping Sam steal Scott's files and Sam promised to give her some answers.Dean: Oh, you're better than okay. Sam, you sly dog!
- Only Sane Man: Scott Carey explaining his powers and the Yellow-Eyed Demon to his therapist.
- Pistol Whip: Several people get knocked out with the butt of a rifle in this episode.
- Police Are Useless: After Gordon tries to kill them, Ava asks Sam why they don't just call the police. Sam replies that they wouldn't be much help. Then Sam anonymously tips off the police about Gordon so they'll put him away for a few years, saving Dean from having to kill him.
- The Reveal: The secret John Winchester whispered to Dean is that if Dean is unable to save Sam, he'll have to kill Sam.
- Room Full of Crazy: The wall covered in yellow eyes in Scott's closet.
- Running Gag: Dean calling Sam "bitch" and Sam responding with "jerk" is a Continuity Nod to "Pilot" (S1, E01).
- Sanity Slippage Song: "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane, which plays over the teaser.
- Screw Destiny: Dean says he doesn't believe in people being "meant to do" anything. Sam suggests that it's more that he doesn't want to entertain the possibility that Gordon could be right about Sam.
- Books on Scott Carey's shelf include Shogun, as well as a book by Tom Clancy and another by Stephen King.
- Scott Carey has a poster for the Vancouver band New Town Animals on his wall.
- Sam explains away his knowledge of munitions by saying he watches a lot of T.J. Hooker.
- Super Massive Black Hole starts playing when Ash enters the bar.
- Slashed Throat: Ava's fiancé.
- Spy Speak: "Funkytown" means "someone has a gun on me". Evidently, Dean came up with it, and it's a long story.
- Stages of Monster Grief: We see Ava go through the first two stages in this episode:
- Denial: She explains that she is normal and planning to get married.Ava: Screw you, buddy. Okay? Because I'm a secretary from Peoria and I'm not part of anything! Okay?
- Defiance: She wants to help Sam find out more about the other Special Children and the Yellow-Eyed Demon's plan.Ava: I just helped you steal some dead guy's confidential psych files. I'm awesome!
- Denial: She explains that she is normal and planning to get married.
- Stock Episode Titles: Over 34 other series have an episode with this title.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Scott Carey.
- We Need a Distraction: Ava babbles away to distract the shrink from Sam crawling past the ledge of his window.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Gordon kills Scott and tries to kill Sam, because he sees them as monsters and threats to humanity.Gordon: Humans, fighting on Hell's side. You believe that? I mean, they're psychics, so they're not exactly pure humans, but still. What kind of worthless scumbag have you got to be to turn against your own race?
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Scott Carey started to develop depression, paranoia, and nightmares as his power manifested.
- You Can't Fight Fate: Gordon believes Sam is destined to become a horrible monster, a killer, and a traitor to his own species, and thus needs to be killed before it can happen.