Season 8, Episode 6
- Dean: So, guy's old lady comes home while he's working underneath his ride, put the pedal to the metal, and takes half his head off.Sam: And, that's it?Dean: Yeah, in a nutshell. She says she blacked out, doesn't remember a damn thing.Sam: Well, that sounds like insanity.Dean: Maybe.Sam: So, how does that make this our kind of thing.Dean: [sigh] Because, Sam, Kevin's in the wind, okay, you're sulking around like a eunuch in a whorehouse, and I can't help but ask myself, when is decapitation not my thing?
Body Count:For this episode = 3 humans and one ghost.For the series so far = At least 828 humans (of which 6 were witches), 106 demons, 58 angels, 48 ghosts, 42 vampires, 36 Jefferson Starships, 19 zombies, 19 gods, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 5 werewolves, 4 ghouls, 4 Leviathan, 3 djinn, 3 dogs, 2 Amazons, 2 arachnes, 2 kitsunes, 2 rugarus, 2 vetalas, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 Purgatory creature, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 shojo, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Accidental Pun: The wife of the first victim says she remembers "bits and pieces" of his death, which Garth, but only Garth, finds amusing.
- The American Civil War: Set in Missouri, a border state, where some sided with the Confederacy and others with the Union.
- Anvilicious/Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: The anvils whose weight had been felt every episode this season were finally dropped.Garth: [to Dean] Now, there's something I want to say to you: Stop being a idjit! With Bobby dead, you and Sam are all each other has. And that's not so bad, man.
- Big "NO!": The sheriff before he is shot.
- Borrowed Catchphrase:
Garth: Man, that's balls.Dean: That's not how you say "balls".
- Dean is offended when Garth uses Bobby's "Balls".
Garth: [laughing good-naturedly at Dean] You're such an idjit.Dean: Idjit's supposed to be used angrily. Not happy. If you're going to butcher it, don't say it at all.
- Garth is not the first person to borrow Bobby's "idjit", but Dean does not react well to it.
- Bros Before HoesDean: You left me to die for a girl!
- Cain and Abel: Brother against brother in the Civil War. Mirrored in the Winchesters.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Garth.Dean: [stops Garth from grabbing a beer] Easy there, flyweight. Last time you drank a beer, I had to pick you up off the floor.
- Car Fu: Beheading your husband with the car he was working under.
- Carved Mark: "Alcott" was carved into the chest of the first victim.
- Continuity Nod:
- Dean is getting take-out from Mack's BBQ Rib Shack with the smiling pig in a chef hat logo in the opening scene. The Winchester brothers also ate at Mack's in "All Dogs Go to Heaven" (S06, E08) and "The Mentalists" (S07, E07).
- Garth advises Earl on how to deal with a revenant. Bobby had previously accused Dean of being a shapeshifter or revenant when he returned in "Lazarus Rising" (S04, E01).
- A deer's head is seen on the wall of the restaurant where the Winchesters eat with Garth. This deer's head was also seen in "Nightmare" (S01, E14), "The Benders" (S01, E15), "Salvation" (S01, E21), "Everybody Loves A Clown" (S02, E02), "Playthings" (S02, E11), "Born Under A Bad Sign" (S02, E14), "Hollywood Babylon" (S02, E18), "Mystery Spot" (S03, E11), "Ghostfacers" (S03, E13), and "Metamorphosis" (S04, E04).
- Garth is seen wearing Bobby Singer's trucker's hat with a white front and green bill, which Bobby wore in "Devil's Trap" (S01, E22), "In My Time Of Dying" (S02, E01), "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part One" (S02, E21), "Sin City" (S03, E04), "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" (S03, E10), and "Weekend At Bobby's" (S06, E04).
- Garth says Bobby left the hat in his car after they hunted a rugaru together. Bobby went to hunt a rugaru in "Swan Song" (S05, E22). Sam and Dean hunted a rugaru with Travis in "Metamorphosis" (S04, E04).
- Dean comments about how Garth became drunk after chugging one beer in "Party On, Garth" (S07, E18), when Garth reaches for a beer.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: Rustproof Blood used to write "Sussex" in the grocery store.
- Counterpart Comparison: An In-Universe example, where Dean's protectiveness of Bobby's memory leads him to question Garth's similarities to Bobby.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dean, when they are standing over the casket of the unknown Confederate soldier and Garth suggests that it would be appropriate to say something.Dean: [pause] We won.
- Deep South:Sam: Burn a Confederate soldier's bones in a town full of rednecks? Sure.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Those possessed by the specter seem to dish this out.Possessed Carl: Why am I gonna make mustard from your brainstem? I don't know. Why did you call me out, ump?
- Later: "Why don't you do your own reports, sheriff!"
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Due to the Dead: The specter rises after the tomb of the unknown soldier is desecrated.
- Everybody Owns a Ford: Inverted Trope, Instead of everyone driving late-model cars made by the same manufacturer, we have Garth's 1977 Ford Ranchero Squire and Dean's 1967 Chevrolet Impala.
- Food Slap: The coffee tossed at Jeff before the attack with the shovel.
- Ghostly Goals: Avenging spirit.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Blood splatter at the grocery story during the shovel scene.
- Hollywood History: In regards to the Civil War. Yes, there was a lot of division within states during the Civil War. But the border states were thus not because they were magically split down the middle between Union and Confederacy, but because they were slave-states that nonetheless stayed with the Union.
- Hug and Comment: Garth hugs Sam and then Dean, when they are reunited.Sam: Oh, forgot he was a hugger.Dean: We're still—we're still working here.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: First Sam and then Garth try this with possessed Dean.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: The confederate soldier's image replaces Scott's image in the grocery store mirror and Carl's in the car's side mirror.
- Monster of the Aesop: Brothers who let their differences make them enemies, and even after death one brother was unable to forgive becoming a monster.
- Noodle Incident: Garth reveals a little bit about his background and how he got his first case while he was a dentist.Garth: I felt terrible when I ganked that S.O.B.Sam: You killed the Tooth Fairy?Garth: Yeah man. I mean, not my proudest moment, but it happened.
- Off with His Head!: Decapitation of the man under the car.
- One Steve Limit: Mary.
- Outdated Outfit: Garth's fringed leather jacket.
- Pretender Diss: Dean attempts this, but Garth puts him in his place.Garth: Whoa, then, okay. None of my business, but this have anything to do with you and Sam?Dean: You had it right. It's none of your business.Garth: Okay. It just seems like you guys are a little tense around each other, and...Dean: We're fine. Can we get back to work?Garth: Yeah. Just letting you know that I'm here for you, for anything. I know sometimes Bobby, he would...Dean: You're not Bobby. Okay. And you're never going to be Bobby. So, stop.Garth: Bobby belonged to all of us, Dean, not just you and Sam. I'm just taking what he showed me and trying to do something with it. And that's all.
- Re-Ditto: Garth's lack of regret and no desire for revenge allows him to save the day, and creates a clear distinction between him and Bobby.
- Revenant Zombie: Garth advises Earl to nail the revenant in a casket with silver spikes.
- Romancing the Widow: Sam in the flashback.
Dean: I was in Purgatory.Garth: Like the Purgatory Purgatory?Dean: No, the one in Miami.Dean: So first the mom goes Natural Born Killer, and now his son? I mean, what do we got, a ghost with an Oedipus Complex? I don't know what that means.
- When Dean first sees Garth, he calls him "Chuck Norris".
- Garth's ringtones are:
- Garth refers to the local police as Barney Fife and his crew.
- Dean references a gay and lesbian bar in Ft. Lauderdale.
- Shovel Strike: Lethal use of an Improvised Weapon in the grocery store.
- Similarly Named Works:
- Sniff Sniff Nom: Garth tastes the sticky green ectoplasm.
- Soul Jar: The penny.
- Taking Up The Mantle: Garth assumed Bobby's role.Sam: Hold up, are you the new Bobby?Dean: Shut your mouth.Garth: Yes.Dean: You shut your mouth.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:Sam: But what? But you didn't mean it? Oh, please. You and I both know you didn't need that penny to say those things. Own up to your crap, Dean! I told you from the jump where I was coming from, why I didn't look for you. But you, you had secrets. You had Benny! And you got on your high-and-mighty and you've been kicking me ever since you got back! But that's over. So move on, or I will!
- Turn the Other Cheek: Garth's strength that allows him to hold the penny without danger.
- Viewers Are Goldfish: The flashback tracing the path of the penny.
- War Reenactors: Garth attends a Civil War reenactment annually.
- You Look Familiar: