Recap: Supernatural S 04 E 01 Lazarus Rising
Recap of Supernatural Season 4, Episode 1:
Written by Eric Kripke.
Directed by Kim Manners.
Air Date: September 18, 2008.
Dean wakes from his grave and returns to Sam and Bobby, finding out he has been dead for several months. The three of them then try to find out what rescued Dean from Hell and why.
For this episode = 2 demons.
For the series so far = At least 250 humans (of which 3 were witches), 51 demons, 19 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Dean knows that monsters, demons, and pagan gods are real, but doesn't believe in angels.
- Attack Hello: Bobby and Sam's response to Dean turning up on their doorstep.
- A Threesome Is Hot: Pamela certainly thinks so.
Dean: [to Sam] You are not invited!
- Back from the Dead: Dean.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Dean comes back from the dead to find that all of his scars healed.
- Big Blackout/Dramatic Shattering/Dramatic Wind/It Won't Turn Off: What happens when Castiel uses his true voice.
Dean: Buddy, next time lower the volume.
- Breakout Character: Castiel.
- Buried Alive: Dean wakes up in his coffin and claws his way out.
- Came Back Wrong/Deal with the Devil: The obvious explanations for Dean's return, which cause a certain amount of suspicion.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Castiel's wings—the only part of his angelic form we see—are black.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Dean tests the theory that the demons won't dare hurt him by slapping Flo.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Bobby's reaction to Dean's death.
- Establishing Character Moment: Castiel gets a good one. He uses telekinesis (or just the power of his presence) to break open the sealed door of the barn where Dean and Bobby are waiting, and then proceeds to walk slowly over the line of salt (which would keep a demon or normal spirit out) and past every single binding circle Bobby drew without breaking stride while Dean and Bobby repeatedly shoot him, the entire building is shaking and the overhead lights are exploding (the last two are direct results of his presence). Despite the chaos, he never flinches or even blinks, only seeming mildly curious about the sigils on the walls.
- Eye Scream: What happens to Pamela.
- Girl of the Week: Subverted. Pamela gets her eyes burnt out, and the girl in Sam's hotel room turns out to be Ruby.
- Immune to Bullets/Unflinching Walk: Castiel shrugs off shotgun blasts and being stabbed by the anti-demon knife.
- Like a Badass out of Hell: With help from Castiel.
Castiel: I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition.
- Mistaken for Gay: Subverted. After Sam tries to stab Dean and then they hug, the girl Sam's with asks, "So, are you two, like...together?". It turns out that she knows they're not.
- The Nth Doctor: Ruby has a new body. It's her second one after coming back.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Castiel. Dean and Bobby hit him with everything, and he doesn't even slow down.
- No Tell Motel: Where Dean and Bobby find Sam and "Kristy".
- Offhand Backhand: Castiel catches the katana that Bobby swings at the back of his head. With his bare hand.
- One Steve Limit: We've had a Pamela before, although that one went crazy and tried to kill Sam.
- Our Angels Are Different: Their first appearance in Supernatural.
- Outside-Context Villain: Castiel, and angels in general, to demons.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Dean bleeds from the ears the second time Castiel tries to speak in his true voice.
- Rise from Your Grave: Dean.
- Running Gag: Dean finds a Busty Asian Beauties magazine in the store.
- See You in Hell
Demon: Go to Hell.
Sam: Funny, I was going to say the same thing to you.
- Serious Business: Dean isn't happy that Sam installed an iPod in the Impala.
- Took a Level in Badass: Sam is a lot more aggressive in hunting down demons. Turns out it's because his powers have increased.
- Wham Episode: It's a season premiere of Supernatural, what do you expect? It introduces angels, Castiel in particular, and gets Dean out of Hell.
- Wham Line: "I'm an angel of the Lord." And When Dean asks why he was rescued from Hell: "Because God commanded it. Because we have work for you."
- Would Hit a Girl: Upon realizing "Flo" isn't going to fight him, Dean hits her, disregarding the fact he's also hitting her innocent host.
- Wrong Name Outburst: Subverted. Her actual name is Ruby, not Cathy or Kristy.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form: Why Pamela's eyes burnt out when she tried to spy on Castiel before he had a vessel.