Season 4, Episode 1
Dean wakes from his grave and returns to Sam and Bobby, finding out he has been dead for several months. The three of them then try to find out what rescued Dean from Hell and why.
For this episode = 2 demons.
For the series so far = At least 250 humans (of which 3 were witches), 51 demons, 19 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- Anyone Can Die
- Body count for this episode = two demons and their two human hosts.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Dean knows that monsters, demons, and pagan gods are real, but he doesn't believe in angels.
- Attack Hello: Bobby and Sam's response to Dean turning up on their doorstep.
- A Threesome Is Hot: Pamela certainly thinks so.
Dean: You are not invited!
- Back from the Dead: Dean
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Dean comes back from the dead to find that all of his scars healed.
- Breakout Character: Castiel
- Buried Alive: Dean wakes up in his coffin and claws his way out.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Castiel's wings - the only part of his angelic form we see - are black.
- Deal with the Devil / Came Back Wrong: The obvious explanations for Dean's return, which cause a certain amount of suspicion.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Dean tests the theory that the demons won't dare hurt him by slapping Flo.
- Dramatic Shattering / Dramatic Wind / Big Blackout / It Won't Turn Off: What happens when Castiel uses his true voice.
"Buddy, next time lower the volume."
- Drowning My Sorrows: Bobby's reaction to Dean's death.
- Establishing Character Moment: Castiel gets a good one. He walks serenely into the barn where Dean and Bobby are waiting while they shoot him, the barn shakes, and the lights explode overhead (the last two are direct results of his presence). Despite the chaos, he never flinches or even blinks, and he never takes his eyes off Dean.
- Eye Scream: What happens to Pamela.
- Girl of the Week: Subverted. Pamela gets her eyes burnt out, and the girl in Sam's hotel room turns out to be Ruby.
- Like a Badass out of Hell: With help from Castiel.
Castiel: I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition.
- Mistaken for Gay: After Sam tries to stab Dean and then they hug, Sam's girlfriend asks, "So are you two like...together?"
- The Nth Doctor
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Castiel: Dean and Bobby hit him with everything, and he doesn't even slow down.
- No Tell Motel
- Offhand Backhand: Castiel catches the crowbar that Bobby swings at the back of his head.
- Our Angels Are Different
- Outside-Context Villain: This is what Castiel is to demons.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Dean bleeds from the ears the second time Castiel tries to speak in his true voice.
- Running Gag: Dean finds a Busty Asian Beauties magazine in the store.
- Unflinching Walk / Immune to Bullets: Castiel shrugs off shotgun blasts and being stabbed by the anti-demon knife.
- See You in Hell
Demon: Go to Hell.
Sam: Funny, I was going to say the same thing to you.
- Serious Business: Dean isn't happy that Sam installed an iPod in the Impala.
- Took a Level in Badass: Sam is a lot more aggressive in hunting down demons. Turns out it's because his powers have increased.
- Wham Episode
- Wham Line: "I am an angel of the Lord." and, when Dean asks why he was rescued from hell, "Because God commanded it. Because we have work for you."
- Would Hit a Girl: Upon realizing Flo isn't going to fight him, Dean hits her, disregarding the fact he's also hitting her innocent host. And then, instead of trying to perform an exorcism on her and the other demons, they leave all the hosts possessed.
- They don't try an exorcism because they're outnumbered, as Dean points out the moment they're out the door.
- Wrong Name Outburst: Subverted when it's because her actual name is Ruby, not Kelly or Kristy.
- You Cannot Grasp the True Form