Hammer, looking awesome.
"Can't touch this."
— MC Hammer, "U Can't Touch This"
MC Hammer, hip-hop's first Large Ham
, born Stanley Kirk Burrell (1962-). He is mostly famous for his dance hit "U Can't Touch This"note
and for bringing rap
into the mainstream. In fact, along with Vanilla Ice
, he practically was
mainstream rap from about 1988 to 1992. Nowadays, he's a Pentecostal minister, and he has a TV show, Hammertime
, on A&E.
Tropes That Apply To MC Hammer:
- Adam Westing: On the rare occasion Burrell is seen on TV nowadays, it's usually as an exaggeration of his Hammer persona, or referencing his Fall from Grace. His ministry is almost never brought up.
- Anyone Remember Pogs?: People actually did wear MC Hammer-inspired Hammer Pants while the fad lasted.
- The Cameo: MC Hammer actually managed to get in a video game... as a hammer, in the Japanese version of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
''"You got the M.C Hammer!
BAM BAM pound the likes of stakes!
BAM BAM pound, pound other things too!"''
- Celebrity Toon: Hammerman — named after another alias for Mr. Burrell — where Hammer is a superhero with magical shoes. The opening theme will fill you in on the finer details.
- Drop the Hammer: Stop! Hammertime!
- Greatest Hits Album: Greatest Hits, The Hits and Platinum. There's also Back To Back Hits where his hits are mixed in with Vanilla Ice's (admittedly, a pretty good idea).
- Large Hammer: Very much so.
- Mondegreen: That's "GET BUCK, GET BUCK" he's chanting on "2 Legit 2 Quit," not "KICK BUTT, KICK BUTT".
- Music of Note: Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em showed, once and for all, that Hip Hop could attract a mass audience, if Run-D.M.C. and Beastie Boys didn't already provide good enough evidence.
- New Sound Album: The Funky Headhunter.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Many of his hooks are prone to this.
- Stuffy Old Songs About the Buttocks: "Pumps and a Bump" from The Funky Headhunter