Film: Poetic Justice
Poetic Justice is a 1993 romantic comedy film starring Janet Jackson as the titular Justice, Tupac Shakur as Lucky and Regina King as Justice's best friend Iesha.The movie focuses on Justice coping with her life after her boyfriend, played by Q-Tip, is killed by gang members. She learns to love herself again and opens up to a budding romance with an unlikely friend after embarking on a mini road trip.
Poetic Justice contains examples of:
- Crazy Cat Lady: Justice. Her friend even lampshades this.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Iesha.
- Drugs Are Bad: Lucky's baby mother does crack and sleeps with another man with her kids in the next room. This causes Lucky to storm out of her apartment with his daughter, sick of her neglectful ways.
- Informed Flaw: Chicago has a hard time—staying hard.
- Jerkass: Chicago. Whether its hitting Iesha and then attempting to attack Justice when she intervenes or verbally attacking Justice for showing interest in Lucky. An inner monologue reveals he planned to cheat on Iesha.
- Poetry: Justice recites poetry in a few voice overs throughout the movie. They're all works by Maya Angelou.
- Road Trip Plot: Both destroys and creates relationships.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Justice and Lucky spend a lot of time getting on each others' bad sides before they eventually hook up.
- The Alcoholic: Iesha, to Justice's chagrin.
- The '90s: Box braids, dashikis, oversized bamboo earrings and mom jeans, oh my!
- Would Hit a Girl: Chicago.