Poetic Justice is a 1993 romantic comedy film starring Janet Jackson as the titular Justice, Tupac Shakur as Lucky, and Regina King as Justice's best friend Iesha.The movie focuses on Justice coping with her life after the loss of her boyfriend, played by Q-Tip. She learns to love herself again and opens up to a budding romance with an unlikely friend after embarking on a mini road trip.
Poetic Justice contains examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Iesha, to Justice's chagrin.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Justice. Her friend even lampshades this.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Lucky
- Drowning My Sorrows: Iesha
- Drugs Are Bad: Lucky's baby mother does crack and sleeps with another man with her kids in the next room. This causes Lucky to storm out of her apartment with his daughter, sick of her neglectful ways.
- Epunymous Title: She's called Justice and she writes poetry.
- Informed Flaw: Chicago has a hard time—staying hard.
- Jerkass: Chicago. Whether its hitting Iesha and then attempting to attack Justice when she intervenes or verbally attacking Justice for showing interest in Lucky. An inner monologue reveals he planned to cheat on Iesha.
- My Car Hates Me: Justice couldn't get her car to start.
- The '90s: Box braids, dashikis, oversized bamboo earrings and mom jeans, oh my!
- Poetry: Justice recites poetry in a few voice overs throughout the movie. They're all works by Maya Angelou.
- Road Trip Plot: Both destroys and creates relationships.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Justice and Lucky spend a lot of time getting on each others' bad sides before they eventually hook up.
- Would Hit a Girl: Chicago