Recap of Supernatural Season 7, Episode 18
Party On, Garth
Written by Adam Glass.
Directed by Philip Sgriccia.
Air Date: March 30, 2012.
Garth calls on Sam and Dean for help when he comes up against a Shojo, a Japanese creature that can only be seen when drunk.
- The Alcoholic: We see how bad Dean's gotten with this in this episode. It takes a lot to get him even "kinda drunk".
Sam: I mean, can you even get drunk anymore? It's kind of like, uh, drinking a vitamin for you, right?
- Book Ends: Garth plays "Poison" on his car radio at the beginning and end of the episode.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer/Plucky Comic Relief: Garth.
- Chekhov's Gun: Bobby's flask, which Dean keeps as a Tragic Keepsake, ends up being the thing that allows Bobby to come back as a ghost, despite having had a Viking Funeral.
- Character as Himself: Mr. Fizzles.
- Come with Me If You Want to Live
- Good-Looking Privates: Garth wears a military uniform because it looks good on him.
- Hand Puppet: Mr. Fizzles, which Garth uses to get a little girl to open up about the death of her mother.
- Hey, It's That Guy!/Voice: Lee (the guy who winds up needing to be protected by Sam, Dean, and Garth at the end) is played by voice actor Andrew Francis, whose roles have included Takumi Ichinose, Iceman, Shining Armor, and Julian. He also briefly appeared in a different role in "Hollywood Babylon" (S02, E18).
- Invisible Monster: Unless you're drunk.
- Mood Whiplash
- Not Too Dead to Save the Day: Bobby, who's been helping the Winchesters with research and who pushed the sword back across the room to help Dean.
- Thrown Across The Room
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: The Shojo looks like one.
- Title Drop: When Garth downs an entire bottle of beer in one go, Dean says the title.
- Unflinching Walk: Played for laughs when Garth walks away from torching a supposed ghost's remains.