Season 3, Episode 10:
Dream A Little Dream of MeWritten by Sera Gamble and Cathryn Humphris.Directed by Steve Boyum.Air Date: February 7, 2008.Sam and Dean have to rescue Bobby from the clutches of a creature capable of killing people in their dreams in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Body countFor this episode = 1 human.For the series so far = At least 223 humans (of which 3 were witches), 17 ghosts, 13 demons, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, and 1 zombie.
- Abusive Parents:
- Jeremy, whose father beat him with a baseball bat.
- Dean finally acknowledges that John was "an obsessed bastard".
- Acting for Two: Jensen Ackles plays both Dean and Evil!Dean.
- All Just a Dream: Bela having feelings for Sam and their having sex.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: Jeremy and Sam, Dean and Evil!Dean, Bobby and Karen.
- Catapult Nightmare: When Sam and Dean wake up after Dean gets Bobby to realize it was a dream.
- Chekhov's Gun: Jeremy offering Dean beer, which Dean accepts. Bobby later reveals in a Wham Line that Jeremy got his DNA, and is therefore able to enter and manipulate his dreams, because he also accepted a beer from Jeremy. Meaning that because Dean had taken Jeremy up on his offer, too, Jeremy now has access to Dean's DNA and therefore his dreams.
- Cannot Dream: Ironically, Jeremy had this as his backstory; his father hit him in the head with a baseball bat and the resulting brain-damage left him unable to dream. When he starts taking African dream root, he starts dreaming again.
- Distressed Dude: Sam gets tied up and beaten with a baseball bat.
- Dream Sequence: Literally—all three of Our Heroes, plus the Villain of the Week, share a dream.
- Dream Walker: With the help of African dream root and a body part, anyone can enter someone else's dream.
- Dream Weaver: Jeremy and, in the end, Sam. Lampshaded by Bobby. "So, you did a little dreamweaving of your own there."
- Dream World: And Jeremy's gotten really good at controlling it.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Sam getting drunk at a bar after realizing that he might not be able to prevent Dean's death.
- Erotic Dream: Sam has one about Bela.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: This is how Bobby realizes that Bela wasn't just helping out to repay a debt to him: He didn't save her life in Flagstaff, he just gave her a good deal on an amulet.
- Evil Twin: Dean encounters a dream version of himself that is what he fears he'll become after he goes to Hell.
- Idiot Ball: The Winchesters get this with respect to Bela. She sees where they keep their one-of-a-kind, legendary monster-killing artifact (a motel safe) when they open it in front of her and then quickly proceed to knock themselves out using the dream root she brought them, leaving it unprotected. What did they think would happen?
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: Bobby became a hunter after his wife was possessed by a demon.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Dean has dreams about a normal life with Lisa and Ben.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: First Bobby's mind, then Dean's.
- Or Was It a Dream?: Everyone's awake and the "monster" is defeated, but the cut-to-credits is Dean's demonic doppelganger snapping its fingers.
- Safe Cracking: Bela steals the Colt from the motel safe.
- Ship Sinking: Bela's theft of the Colt, which makes the Winchesters legitimately plan on hunting her down and killing her, ends any potential hook-ups she might have had with the boys before they even start. Funnily enough, happens in the same episode that has...
- Ship Tease:
- Themed Aliases: Dean's Pittsburgh City Police Dept. badge has him as Detective Robert Plant.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Evil!Dean delivers this to the real one.
- Title Drop: A variation: Cass Elliot's version of "Dream A Little Dream of Me" plays during Dean's picnic dream.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Being killed in a dream by a dreamweaver kills you for real.
- Your Worst Nightmare: Bobby (his wife) and Dean (himself).