Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 05 Blood Brother
Recap of Supernatural Season 8, Episode 5
Written by Ben Edlund.
Directed by Guy Bee.
Air Date: October 31, 2012.
In Eagle Harbor, Washington
, Benny, the vampire who helped Dean escape Purgatory
, finds Quentin
, a member of Benny's old vampire nest and also the person who held Benny's legs
when he was beheaded. Benny asks Quentin where the Old Man
is, but there are two other vampires who ambush Benny. He beheads Quentin, but is badly wounded
by the others.
We then find the Winchester brothers
in the Paradise Motel
in Enid, Oregon. They have been trying to track down Kevin, but continue to be outsmarted by him, as he manipulates his credit card records
. Dean gets a call from Benny asking for help, and leaves without telling Sam where he is going
, which results in an argument between the two brothers.
Dean has a flashback
of fighting with Benny in Purgatory as he drives to Washington. Sam starts tracking down Kevin
, but is sidetracked into a search of Amelia
's credit history. He is distracted by the sound of a malfunctioning fan, and has his own flashback
of getting a job at a motel and getting to know Amelia.
Dean finds Benny unable to stand
and covered in blood. He gives him a cooler full of plasma for transfusions
and Benny makes an almost-complete recovery
. When Dean asks what is going on, Benny is reluctant to tell him and says he has done enough already. When Dean insists on knowing, Benny responds, "You and that whole friend
thing, man". This triggers a flashback
to the two of them with Castiel in Purgatory. Benny is trying to convince Dean that continuing with Castiel is too risky, and Castiel agrees with him, pointing out it is unlikely an angel could pass through a portal made for humans
. Dean insists Castiel
is going to make it out with them.
In the present time, Benny reveals that he is hunting his maker, who killed Benny after he betrayed the nest over a woman, Andrea. The nest attacks yachts, functioning as vampire-pirates. They search Quentin's belongings and are able to track down the nest in Prentiss Island by finding a cable bill. As they drive to the island, Benny tells Dean how he left the nest and changed his life
after meeting Andrea, but they were tracked down by his maker, who killed him
When Dean and Benny infiltrate the vampire nest
, Benny is so surprised to see Andrea alive
that he is captured and handcuffed to a chair
by the vampires. Dean decides to call Sam and ask for help
at this point and then starts hunting down the vampires in the nest. Benny finds out that Andrea was turned into a vampire and is currently the maker's lover
. Andrea manages to slip Benny a knife and the keys to the handcuffs before he is taken to see his maker. Benny finds out that Andrea was evidently kept alive to maintain a connection to Benny
, the maker's favorite. Benny unlocks his handcuffs and beheads Sorento. His maker tries to convince him that everything he believes in is false
, but Benny attacks him as well.
After killing several vampires, Dean has another flashback
to Purgatory, where Castiel, Benny, and he are attacked by a group of Leviathans
and Benny saves Castiel's life
. Sam steals a car and starts driving to Prentiss Island. Benny returns the knife, now covered in blood, to Andrea, and tells her that the Old Man is dead
. She is not willing to leave with him, and instead wants to run things herself
. He tells her she is no longer the woman he loved
, which prompts her to attack him. Dean arrives just in time and stabs her from behind
. Sam is waiting on the shore when they get off the dinghy and meets Benny. When Sam shakes Benny's hand he feels the cold flesh and reaches for his knife, but Dean shakes his head and Sam backs down. Benny then says, "I can see you two have a lot to talk about
- Affectionate Nickname:
- A God Am I: While many vampires consider their makers to be like a god, Benny's maker actually seems to believe it.
- The Alcoholic: Maybe Amelia is afraid of getting scurvy or is cooking a lot of ceviche, but it seems likely the limes were meant to imply she is drinking quite a few cocktails, beers, and/or shots. The margarita glass on the counter supports this theory.
- Anger Born of Worry: Some, but not all, of Sam's anger at Dean.
- Antagonist in Mourning:
I know it won't change anything, but I regretted having you killed. When it was all done, I wailed when I saw you in all those pieces. Didn't I, Sorento? Didn't I wail like the ugliest baby
in the world?
- Back from the Dead:
Quentin: [to Benny] You go and crawl your way out of God's ass for another ride on the merry-go-round.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Dean and Benny during a fight in Purgatory, with Benny whistling "In the Hall of the Mountain King".
- Big Brother Instinct: Inverted Trope, with little brother Sam slamming the gas pedal in a stolen car because he is worried about his big brother.
- Blood Brothers:
- Benny and Dean.
- Dean and Sam.
- Dean and Castiel.
- And even Benny and Castiel.
- Blood Lust:
Andrea: You remember what it's like at first. Life is blood, that's all—and whoever gives it to you.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Of the I Hate You, Vampire Dad variety.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Benny's maker.
Benny's maker: I am evil, after all. At least I've had that much to keep me cold at night.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Dean almost sends a text to Sam, when he arrives at Prentiss Island, but deletes it.
Dean's deleted text: Hunting vamps—nest on Prentiss Island...not alone.
- Continuity Nod:
- A Day in the Limelight: We have the first Benny-centric story.
- Deader Than Dead: Leave it to Castiel to ask the question we've all been wondering all season.
Castiel: It does present a curious curl in the metaphysics, doesn't it? If you murder a monster in Monster Heaven, where does it go?
- Decapitation Required: To kill a vampire.
- Divine Date:
Benny: [to Andrea] Well, sleeping with God has got to have some perks.
- A Dog Named Dog:
Amelia: "Dog"? That's what you're calling him?
- Doom Magnet: Benny calls both Castiel and Dean this in Purgatory.
Benny: [watching Castiel kill a monster] Well, I got to admit, Dean, he's got his strong points, but holy hell if he ain't a magnet.
Dean: Well, before we found Cas, you said it was my humanity that was drawing too much attention.
Benny: Yeah, that too.
- Double Entendre:
Amelia: [to Sam, who grabbed her bag of limes] Don't touch the produce.
- The Drifter: Sam in Kermit, Texas. Lampshaded by Amelia.
Amelia: I think it's creepy you buy all your clothing at Army Surplus. White supremacists do that.
Sam: Yeah, but I'm not.
Amelia: Drifting serial killers do that.
Sam: Fair enough.
Amelia: You come from nowhere, you appear to be going nowhere and you've, quote, "seen a lot of stitches". It's all pretty solid creepy.
- Eat the Rich: A literal interpretation that allowed the vampire nest to survive by attacking yachts.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave:
Sam: A "friend"? Dean, you don't have any—all your friends are dead.
- Evil Mentor: Benny's maker.
- Faking the Dead: Benny was led to believe his maker had killed Andrea, but instead she was turned into a vampire.
- Flaming Devil: Benny's maker.
- Faux Affably Evil: Benny's maker.
- A Glass of Chianti: Inverted Trope. Instead of sipping the blood from a glass in a refined manner, Benny slurps it out of the tube attached to the plasma bag as if it was a straw.
- A God Am I: Benny's maker.
Benny's maker: This is my story, you gnat. It ends the way I choose.
- Graduate School Is High School Part 3: Amelia's transcripts reveal a C in Trigonometry, Vet History, and Buss Management. This of course begs the question of why history and trigonometry are being taught in veterinary school.
- Healing Factor: Blood for vampires.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Luc Roderique, who played Sorento, also played Lexon in Caprica and, strangely enough, Benny in Divine: The Series, which also featured Misha Collins as a producer and Father Christopher.
- Athena Karkanis, who plays Andrea, also played Nadia on Lost Girl.
- Hollywood Hacking: Dean and Sam chasing Kevin and Kevin leading them on a goose chase.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters:
Benny: And I think we both know which of our kind kills more humans.
Dean: Yes, thank you, Cas.
- I Can't Feel My Legs: Subverted Trope. Despite Benny saying his "legs aren't working so good", he recovers completely after drinking blood.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures: Kevin switches his surname from Tran (the 3rd most common Vietnamese surname) to Park (the 3rd most common Korean surname) on the credit applications.
- Interspecies Romance: Benny and Andrea when she was still human.
- Island Base: Prentiss Island for the vampire nest.
- Like A Badass Out Of Purgatory: Benny, which frightens the rest of the nest.
- Lonely Together: Sam and Amelia.
- Love Redeems: Benny's love for Andrea leads him to question his maker.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Benny is very seriously injured at the beginning of the episode, but explains the situation very calmly to Dean over the phone.
- Meaningful Name: We see that Kevin's e-mail is Kevin@freedom.psd.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: While Amelia has remained aloof to those around her (not knowing the name of the boy at the front desk of the motel or that his father is sick) and often assumes the worst about other people (her reaction to Sam fixing her sink), you have a feeling she maintains this distance to protect herself from something in her past (which may also be why she is still living in a motel three months after moving to Kermit).
- My Species Doth Protest Too Much: Benny clearly thinks so.
- Mr. Fixit: Sam at the motel.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot:
- Benny's old nest were vampire-pirates, or, as Dean says "vampirates", which turns out not to be as original as Benny seemed to think.
- Since Benny is a vampire-pirate back from the dead, does this upgrade him to vampire-zombie-pirate?
- No One Gets Left Behind:
Dean: [to Benny and Castiel] Listen to me, you undead blood junkie, I'm the one with the mojo. I'm the one with the plan. Cas, we're going to shove your ass back through the eye of that needle if it kills all three of us.
- Not So Different: Amelia, who, like Sam, also has no one.
- Not What It Looks Like: Upon finding Sam in her motel room, Amelia immediately mistakes him for a stalker, not knowing that he works there doing maintenance and was fixing her sink.
- The Other Rainforest: Benny comments on the forest on Prentiss Island reminding him of Purgatory, perhaps meant to lampshade the Vancouver Doubling.
- Paint the Town Red: After Benny takes out Quentin and his henchmen, we see a blood-covered street complete with lifeless bodies and unattached heads.
- Product Placement:
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: We find out that Benny died of decapitation and witness the beheadings of Quentin, Sorento, Andrea, and at least two monsters in Purgatory.
- Right Under Their Noses: Benny and Dean take a dinghy to the island and walk right into the vampire lair with no one stopping them.
- Ring Ring Crunch: Dean uses his cell phone to distract a vampire, but when he beheads the vampire he ends up Cutting the Electronic Leash.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Benny's plans to kill his maker and burn down the operation.
- '70s Hair: Sam's hair style is lampshaded my Amelia.
I knew there was something off about you, with your creepy Army-Navy
and your sideburns.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Instead of Benny's child, his maker took Andrea, Benny's lover, as a reminder of his favorite son.
Benny's maker: I wanted someone to remember you by.
- Spock Speak: Castiel insists he is not Benny's relative when called his crazy aunt.
- Stalker with a Crush: Despite Sam's assertion that he is not a stalker and is just concerned, breaking into Amelia's credit history, her DMV records, and school transcripts, is going a bit too far.
- Straw Nihilist:
Benny's maker: I've been here so, so long, Benny. Seen all the outcomes, all the patterns, a trillion times. It all means so little. This universe is a pyramid of despair. Nothing else.
- This Is Reality:
It's weird being back
—in the world, I mean. Isn't it?
Dean: Sure as hell is.
Hey, listen to me. I see what happens down that rabbit hole
, okay? We're real. Benny, this is real. It's the only way to play this game, you get me?
- They're Called Personal Issues For A Reason:
Dean: I got some personal crap I gotta take care of. That's all.
Sam: What does that mean, personal?
Dean: Did you have a stroke? Vocabulary. Personal! As in my own, grown-up, personal, I don't know, crap.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: The escape-Purgatory plan relied on Dean being this.
Benny: [to Dean] You see, you are an intact, living human being stuck in Purgatory's craw. This dimension wants to spit you out, which is exactly what's going to power our escape pod.
- Unfortunate Names: The yachts on the list: Age of Aquarius II; The Big Mermaid; Solitaire; Lucky Myra; Sea You Later.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Benny, who survives on donated plasma from blood banks after he meets Andrea.
- Viewer-Friendly Interface: Sam's search of Kevin's and Amelia's credit histories:
- All of the credit applications are accompanied by photos to help identify the characters.
- Typed and signed applications have evidently been scanned in with a large enough font size to be easily read.