From left to right: Murphy, Clyde, Ira, and HassanVampirates
is an online comic that debuted in 2005, created by Jones. The series follows a rag-tag group of Canadian Vampire Pirates on a mission to visit their ex-captain and exact revenge for his ruthless deeds. Getting there won't be easy however, what with the ferry hijacking, bar brawls, and dealing with hiding an even bigger crime - biting and turning someone into a vampire. Vampirates! contains vampires, pirates, kidnapping, blackmail, cross dressing, and yaoi.
The cast is as follows:
- Clyde Callaghan - Cute kid, new vampire, who was kidnapped by vampire pirates. He didn't mind so much.
- Hassan Qasim - One of the vampire pirates. He's out to murder his former captain.
- Patrick Murphy - The oldest of the bunch whose funeral has since been immortalized in song. Don't, er, mention the song to him. Ever.
- Ira Robertson - A friendly neighborhood bumbling assassin, sent by Tractor Jack to stop Hassan.
- Remy Rousseau - Ira's much more competent wife. Used to be Tractor Jack's first mate before a cute little accident nixed that gig.
- Captain John "Tractor Jack" Allan - The guy Hassan wants to kill. He deserves it, though.
It went on an unplanned hiatus in March of '09 and was officially discontinued on 9th January 2011.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Quoted from the archive page: "Warning: Vampirates! contains offensive language and Canadians."
- Batman Gambit: From Tractor Jack's end. The way he played Hassan and Ira against each other just screams of this.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Played straight and subverted (see Evil Is Sexy).
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Hassan is 93. Murphy is... a lot older than that.
- Berserk Button: Murphy. Oh the night that Paddy Murphy died is a night I'll never forget...
- Bifauxnen: Clyde
- Big Brother Worship: Clyde to his big brother, Clyde
- Bilingual Bonus: Remy.
- Bring My Red Jacket: Subverted. Hassan's jacket is red, though he's never wearing it when he gets injured.
- Chekhov's Gun: Ira's medicine
- Conveniently an Orphan: Subverted with Clyde. It looks like this when he goes with Hassan willingly until Remy sees Clyde's picture in the newspaper. It's implied with this that Clyde's parents aren't as happy with their little kid running around with pirates as we thought.
- Crossdresser: Clyde
- Fan Nickname: Clydeette, TJ.
- Faux Yay: Hassan and Murphy
- Five-Man Band:
- Foe Yay: Hassan and Ira
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Subverted by Tractor Jack.
- Heel-Face Turn: Ira.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Canadian Vampire Pirates
- Nobody over 50 Is Gay: Subverted with Hassan
- Not Growing Up Sucks: Clyde.
- Older than They Look: Hassan and Murphy definitely. Possibly Remy and Tractor Jack too, since we don't know how old they are.
- Orphaned Series: On hiatus since March 2009, officially discontinued January 2011.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Vampires aren't affected by the sun, they can drink fresh or bagged blood, and they have a drug that can control their hunger, though it doesn't do anything to actually sustain them.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: How Hassan and Clyde first meet. Clyde's the one doing the stealth bit though.
- Team Mom: Parodied
- Really 700 Years Old: Murphy. He's old enough to have his own folk song.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future